Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

top speed on my ws6

This is a discussion on top speed on my ws6 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; A wise old test engineer once stated, "One test is worth 1000 expert opinions". Look it up. The Aug '98 ...

  1. #21
    Orig Regist: 9/98
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    535

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

    A wise old test engineer once stated, "One test is worth 1000 expert opinions".

    Look it up. The Aug '98 issue of C&D tested identically equipped '99 M6 SS and WS6 'verts, same day, same track (a '99 Cobra was also tested, but it didn't even compare so it's hardly worth mentioning). I may have the numbers off a little, but 0-60 was a shave faster in the SS, blamed by a tad more weight on the WS6 by C&D. However, the WS6 beat the SS to 100, in the 1/4 mi and top end. The WS6 hit the speed governer at 162MPH while the SS was drag-limited at 158MPH. The WS6's high-speed power advantage over the SS was credited to slightly better aerodynamics (although I think the drag coef. was the same for both cars) and more efficient CAI of the WS6.

    So 'yall can stop speculating, there are your FACTS.

    Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    A wise old test engineer once stated, "One test is worth 1000 expert opinions".

    Look it up. The Aug '98 issue of C&D tested identically equipped '99 M6 SS and WS6 'verts, same day, same track (a '99 Cobra was also tested, but it didn't even compare so it's hardly worth mentioning). I may have the numbers off a little, but 0-60 was a shave faster in the SS, blamed by a tad more weight on the WS6 by C&D. However, the WS6 beat the SS to 100, in the 1/4 mi and top end. The WS6 hit the speed governer at 162MPH while the SS was drag-limited at 158MPH. The WS6's high-speed power advantage over the SS was credited to slightly better aerodynamics (although I think the drag coef. was the same for both cars) and more efficient CAI of the WS6.

    So 'yall can stop speculating, there are your FACTS.
    Im sure you can find different numbers by these "experts"

  3. #23
    Junior Member ws6fan007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    11

    red
    2001 ws6

    I raced a SS today on the interstate from 75-138ish.......I had him by 2 cars

  4. #24
    Member AKA Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Posts
    375

    Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    yeah I had the speed limiter taken off my T/A and I've had it to 160 on an open road. the guy that did my H/C package and tune said it should pull to 180 if there is no head wind. I don't know how much I believe that, but it is definitely capable of 160.

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    12
    01 Trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    A wise old test engineer once stated, "One test is worth 1000 expert opinions".

    Look it up. The Aug '98 issue of C&D tested identically equipped '99 M6 SS and WS6 'verts, same day, same track (a '99 Cobra was also tested, but it didn't even compare so it's hardly worth mentioning). I may have the numbers off a little, but 0-60 was a shave faster in the SS, blamed by a tad more weight on the WS6 by C&D. However, the WS6 beat the SS to 100, in the 1/4 mi and top end. The WS6 hit the speed governer at 162MPH while the SS was drag-limited at 158MPH. The WS6's high-speed power advantage over the SS was credited to slightly better aerodynamics (although I think the drag coef. was the same for both cars) and more efficient CAI of the WS6.

    So 'yall can stop speculating, there are your FACTS.
    I was coming in here to post that. haha

  6. #26
    lol i hope you guys dont go 160 mph on public roads

  7. #27
    Member AKA Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Posts
    375

    Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    lol i hope you guys dont go 160 mph on public roads
    I did once... It's stupid I admit. The only reason I did it this once is because curiosity got the best of me and there were absolutely no cars around on the interstate I was traveling on. I saw a straight stretch of road and stabbed it. Had a tire blown out, I hit debris, or anything out of the ordinary happened I would have bit the dust. I do not condone these actions. Do as I say, not as I do. I make every attempt now to only do things like this on closed courses like the drag strip, or when they open the local post runway to let you do a standing mile.

  8. #28
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    well when ever the rain go away here in germany, ill let you guys know how fast a TA with 2.73 rear gears and auto can do on the autobahn its legal kinda lol I believe i tuned out my gonverner so im limited to what my car (and my balls) can do

  9. #29
    Member BRANDON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    perry,ga
    Posts
    162

    black with silver stripes
    2001 trans am ws6

    just about everyone with one of these cars has some kind of mod done to them nowadays so i would think the car with the most hp would pull harder at top end or at least get there quicker, but if both were bone stock it should be very close,on my m6 ws6 back when all i had done to it was headers and an airlid i was curious so i maxed the speedometer out and it was in 5th gear at 3000rpm's so i had half of 5th and all of 6th gears leftover when i let off.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by BRANDON View Post
    just about everyone with one of these cars has some kind of mod done to them nowadays so i would think the car with the most hp would pull harder at top end or at least get there quicker, but if both were bone stock it should be very close,on my m6 ws6 back when all i had done to it was headers and an airlid i was curious so i maxed the speedometer out and it was in 5th gear at 3000rpm's so i had half of 5th and all of 6th gears leftover when i let off.
    Uh, no you didn't max the 155 MPH speedo at 3,000 RPM in 5th. Unless your speedo is off by about 45%.

    Just sayin', because you can't!

    And you hit top speed with 3.42 gears in 5th, 6th takes the power band too low and you can't beat the cars' drag. 5500 RPM in 5th is around 155, I don't have he handy gear/RPM/tire size caculater nearby.

  11. #31
    Electrical Engineer KMdef9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Motorcity
    Posts
    2,611

    Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

    Given these cars are ALL treated differently from owner to owner over the past decade (some longer), I think it would vary with each car. Obviously comparing fully stock exact matching models with matching tires, some cars might be making a few more HP than the next stocker b/c of different wear and tear over the years.

    Oh, need yourself a GPS to get your top speed as well.

  12. #32
    Member BRANDON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    perry,ga
    Posts
    162

    black with silver stripes
    2001 trans am ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Uh, no you didn't max the 155 MPH speedo at 3,000 RPM in 5th. Unless your speedo is off by about 45%.

    Just sayin', because you can't!

    And you hit top speed with 3.42 gears in 5th, 6th takes the power band too low and you can't beat the cars' drag. 5500 RPM in 5th is around 155, I don't have he handy gear/RPM/tire size caculater nearby.
    oh yeah,i forgot you were in the car with me that day... no my speedo isnt off that much but my memory may be off a little because i did that like 5 yrs ago and thats what i thought i remembered,it may have been like 4000 in 5th but it definately wasnt 5500,and i didnt hit my top speed at 155,once i got to 155 i let off and it was still pulling hard when i let off and i was in 5th,cant remember exactly what rpms but i know it wasnt as high as 5500,...just sayin',i was there and thats how it happened

  13. #33
    Member Joels1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dighton Massachusetts
    Posts
    219

    Black soon to be red
    2000 Trans am Ws6

    165mph

    I Had my 00 ws6 speedo pinned past the 160 mark,was racing some bikes on the highway.The person i raced backed down right at 140 but we were neck an neck on the highway,all in all i had more balls.Tires I were running were good year eagle f1`s...not sure what the ratings were on these tire`s.
    Last edited by Joels1; 02-13-2011 at 07:18 PM.

  14. #34
    Senior Member MrMasterCraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    1,266

    2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

    I hate C&D... but here ya go...

    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1s8vfvhNys[/ame]

    2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

  15. #35
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by BRANDON View Post
    oh yeah,i forgot you were in the car with me that day... no my speedo isnt off that much but my memory may be off a little because i did that like 5 yrs ago and thats what i thought i remembered,it may have been like 4000 in 5th but it definately wasnt 5500,and i didnt hit my top speed at 155,once i got to 155 i let off and it was still pulling hard when i let off and i was in 5th,cant remember exactly what rpms but i know it wasnt as high as 5500,...just sayin',i was there and thats how it happened
    Come on dude.

    Nobody on this site will believe what you posted.

    Try this site:

    http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_speed_rpm.htm

    Not sure if I linked it right, but google Speed vs. RPM calculator, see what shows up for a tire radius of 12.25 (stock tire size diameter is just over 24'') with a calculation of 5500 RPM and a rear gear ratio of 3.42, and see what MPH comes up.

    I did some confirmation tests with this last fall, and my 3rd and 4th gear ratio top speeds were confirmed (with my accurate speedo and GPS confirmed) at the 6200 RPM cutoff. Somebody was saying that 6200 in first was equal to 55MPH, in fact it is much more near 49. Big difference. Just like 5500 equals 156 with stock tire size/gearing/5th gear, not 3500or 4000 like you claim.

    Bottom line: 5500 RPM with stock gear ratio (5th, .75))/tire size = ~156 MPH.


  16. #36
    Member BRANDON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    perry,ga
    Posts
    162

    black with silver stripes
    2001 trans am ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Come on dude.

    Nobody on this site will believe what you posted.

    Try this site:

    http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_speed_rpm.htm

    Not sure if I linked it right, but google Speed vs. RPM calculator, see what shows up for a tire radius of 12.25 (stock tire size diameter is just over 24'') with a calculation of 5500 RPM and a rear gear ratio of 3.42, and see what MPH comes up.

    I did some confirmation tests with this last fall, and my 3rd and 4th gear ratio top speeds were confirmed (with my accurate speedo and GPS confirmed) at the 6200 RPM cutoff. Somebody was saying that 6200 in first was equal to 55MPH, in fact it is much more near 49. Big difference. Just like 5500 equals 156 with stock tire size/gearing/5th gear, not 3500or 4000 like you claim.

    Bottom line: 5500 RPM with stock gear ratio (5th, .75))/tire size = ~156 MPH.

    ok man,like i said, i did that like 5yrs ago so its what i thought i remembered,and i could care less if anyone on this site believes me or not,im not trying to impress anyone and i have no reason to lie or make up anything im just posting my experience with this reguardless of what a calculator says,not trying to say you are wrong or anything......

  17. #37
    Orig Regist: 9/98
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    535

    Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Im sure you can find different numbers by these "experts"
    Sure, change the track, drivers, day, weather....... things are sure to be different. However, a fairer comparison test on new bone stock vehicles you will not find.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Land Speed Racers - High-Speed Bombers
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
  2. lt16 speed compared to an ls1 6 speed
    By NOmulletLs7 in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 01:26 PM
  3. Dodge Hemi Speed Demon - The Speed Demons
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 09:30 PM
  4. 6 speed 1st geat speed
    By leod123 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-17-2007, 01:41 PM
  5. 17 psi srt4 5 speed vs 6 speed 99' trans am
    By via sin dios in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •