Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

top speed on my ws6

This is a discussion on top speed on my ws6 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; A wise old test engineer once stated, "One test is worth 1000 expert opinions". Look it up. The Aug '98 ...

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

A wise old test engineer once stated, "One test is worth 1000 expert opinions".

Look it up. The Aug '98 issue of C&D tested identically equipped '99 M6 SS and WS6 'verts, same day, same track (a '99 Cobra was also tested, but it didn't even compare so it's hardly worth mentioning). I may have the numbers off a little, but 0-60 was a shave faster in the SS, blamed by a tad more weight on the WS6 by C&D. However, the WS6 beat the SS to 100, in the 1/4 mi and top end. The WS6 hit the speed governer at 162MPH while the SS was drag-limited at 158MPH. The WS6's high-speed power advantage over the SS was credited to slightly better aerodynamics (although I think the drag coef. was the same for both cars) and more efficient CAI of the WS6.

So 'yall can stop speculating, there are your FACTS.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post

Look it up. The Aug '98 issue of C&D tested identically equipped '99 M6 SS and WS6 'verts, same day, same track (a '99 Cobra was also tested, but it didn't even compare so it's hardly worth mentioning). I may have the numbers off a little, but 0-60 was a shave faster in the SS, blamed by a tad more weight on the WS6 by C&D. However, the WS6 beat the SS to 100, in the 1/4 mi and top end. The WS6 hit the speed governer at 162MPH while the SS was drag-limited at 158MPH. The WS6's high-speed power advantage over the SS was credited to slightly better aerodynamics (although I think the drag coef. was the same for both cars) and more efficient CAI of the WS6.

Im sure you can find different numbers by these "experts"

red
    2001 ws6

I raced a SS today on the interstate from 75-138ish.......I had him by 2 cars

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

yeah I had the speed limiter taken off my T/A and I've had it to 160 on an open road. the guy that did my H/C package and tune said it should pull to 180 if there is no head wind. I don't know how much I believe that, but it is definitely capable of 160.

01 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post

I was coming in here to post that. haha

lol i hope you guys dont go 160 mph on public roads

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    lol i hope you guys dont go 160 mph on public roads
    I did once... It's stupid I admit. The only reason I did it this once is because curiosity got the best of me and there were absolutely no cars around on the interstate I was traveling on. I saw a straight stretch of road and stabbed it. Had a tire blown out, I hit debris, or anything out of the ordinary happened I would have bit the dust. I do not condone these actions. Do as I say, not as I do. I make every attempt now to only do things like this on closed courses like the drag strip, or when they open the local post runway to let you do a standing mile.

Red
    98 Trans Am

well when ever the rain go away here in germany, ill let you guys know how fast a TA with 2.73 rear gears and auto can do on the autobahn its legal kinda lol I believe i tuned out my gonverner so im limited to what my car (and my balls) can do

black with silver stripes
    2001 trans am ws6

just about everyone with one of these cars has some kind of mod done to them nowadays so i would think the car with the most hp would pull harder at top end or at least get there quicker, but if both were bone stock it should be very close,on my m6 ws6 back when all i had done to it was headers and an airlid i was curious so i maxed the speedometer out and it was in 5th gear at 3000rpm's so i had half of 5th and all of 6th gears leftover when i let off.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDON View Post
    just about everyone with one of these cars has some kind of mod done to them nowadays so i would think the car with the most hp would pull harder at top end or at least get there quicker, but if both were bone stock it should be very close,on my m6 ws6 back when all i had done to it was headers and an airlid i was curious so i maxed the speedometer out and it was in 5th gear at 3000rpm's so i had half of 5th and all of 6th gears leftover when i let off.
    Uh, no you didn't max the 155 MPH speedo at 3,000 RPM in 5th. Unless your speedo is off by about 45%.

Just sayin', because you can't!

And you hit top speed with 3.42 gears in 5th, 6th takes the power band too low and you can't beat the cars' drag. 5500 RPM in 5th is around 155, I don't have he handy gear/RPM/tire size caculater nearby.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Given these cars are ALL treated differently from owner to owner over the past decade (some longer), I think it would vary with each car. Obviously comparing fully stock exact matching models with matching tires, some cars might be making a few more HP than the next stocker b/c of different wear and tear over the years.

Oh, need yourself a GPS to get your top speed as well.

2001 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Uh, no you didn't max the 155 MPH speedo at 3,000 RPM in 5th. Unless your speedo is off by about 45%.

Just sayin', because you can't!

And you hit top speed with 3.42 gears in 5th, 6th takes the power band too low and you can't beat the cars' drag. 5500 RPM in 5th is around 155, I don't have he handy gear/RPM/tire size caculater nearby.
    oh yeah,i forgot you were in the car with me that day... no my speedo isnt off that much but my memory may be off a little because i did that like 5 yrs ago and thats what i thought i remembered,it may have been like 4000 in 5th but it definately wasnt 5500,and i didnt hit my top speed at 155,once i got to 155 i let off and it was still pulling hard when i let off and i was in 5th,cant remember exactly what rpms but i know it wasnt as high as 5500,...just sayin',i was there and thats how it happened

Black soon to be red
    2000 Trans am Ws6

165mph

I Had my 00 ws6 speedo pinned past the 160 mark,was racing some bikes on the highway.The person i raced backed down right at 140 but we were neck an neck on the highway,all in all i had more balls.Tires I were running were good year eagle f1`s...not sure what the ratings were on these tire`s.
    Last edited by Joels1; 02-13-2011 at 07:18 PM.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I hate C&D... but here ya go...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1s8vfvhNys[/ame]

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDON View Post
    oh yeah,i forgot you were in the car with me that day... no my speedo isnt off that much but my memory may be off a little because i did that like 5 yrs ago and thats what i thought i remembered,it may have been like 4000 in 5th but it definately wasnt 5500,and i didnt hit my top speed at 155,once i got to 155 i let off and it was still pulling hard when i let off and i was in 5th,cant remember exactly what rpms but i know it wasnt as high as 5500,...just sayin',i was there and thats how it happened
    Come on dude.

Nobody on this site will believe what you posted.

Try this site:

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_speed_rpm.htm

Not sure if I linked it right, but google Speed vs. RPM calculator, see what shows up for a tire radius of 12.25 (stock tire size diameter is just over 24'') with a calculation of 5500 RPM and a rear gear ratio of 3.42, and see what MPH comes up.

I did some confirmation tests with this last fall, and my 3rd and 4th gear ratio top speeds were confirmed (with my accurate speedo and GPS confirmed) at the 6200 RPM cutoff. Somebody was saying that 6200 in first was equal to 55MPH, in fact it is much more near 49. Big difference. Just like 5500 equals 156 with stock tire size/gearing/5th gear, not 3500or 4000 like you claim.

Bottom line: 5500 RPM with stock gear ratio (5th, .75))/tire size = ~156 MPH.

2001 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Come on dude.

Nobody on this site will believe what you posted.

Try this site:

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_speed_rpm.htm

Not sure if I linked it right, but google Speed vs. RPM calculator, see what shows up for a tire radius of 12.25 (stock tire size diameter is just over 24'') with a calculation of 5500 RPM and a rear gear ratio of 3.42, and see what MPH comes up.

I did some confirmation tests with this last fall, and my 3rd and 4th gear ratio top speeds were confirmed (with my accurate speedo and GPS confirmed) at the 6200 RPM cutoff. Somebody was saying that 6200 in first was equal to 55MPH, in fact it is much more near 49. Big difference. Just like 5500 equals 156 with stock tire size/gearing/5th gear, not 3500or 4000 like you claim.

Bottom line: 5500 RPM with stock gear ratio (5th, .75))/tire size = ~156 MPH.

ok man,like i said, i did that like 5yrs ago so its what i thought i remembered,and i could care less if anyone on this site believes me or not,im not trying to impress anyone and i have no reason to lie or make up anything im just posting my experience with this reguardless of what a calculator says,not trying to say you are wrong or anything......

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Im sure you can find different numbers by these "experts"
    Sure, change the track, drivers, day, weather....... things are sure to be different. However, a fairer comparison test on new bone stock vehicles you will not find.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information