Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Top Speed?

This is a discussion on Top Speed? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Probably be faster with a higher gear actually. Stay in the powerband better to pull through the fact that our ...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Probably be faster with a higher gear actually. Stay in the powerband better to pull through the fact that our aerodynamics suck.

Personally...I don't like the idea of going WOT in 5th or 6th gear with an M6. Those overdrive gears aren't made to handle power.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Probably be faster with a higher gear actually. Stay in the powerband better to pull through the fact that our aerodynamics suck.

Personally...I don't like the idea of going WOT in 5th or 6th gear with an M6. Those overdrive gears aren't made to handle power.
    what did you say??? aim yea i am on

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    what did you say??? aim yea i am on
    I'm not.
    About to head out and start detailing the T/A for that show tomorrow.

red
    2002 z

165 is the top speed limiter for the firebird

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

So far I have hit 125....but may go faster

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by jonnychepe View Post
    165 is the top speed limiter for the firebird
    Incorrect.

A base Firebird the limiter is much lower. In the mid 110's, like 113-115. It depends on what tires the car came from the factory on.
    Stock WS.6 was limited at 162MPH...top speed was around the 170 mark.

Had my dads 2002 TA a4 up to 147, with pedal still to go...was racing a mustang cobra, only saw him in the rear view mirror

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

had mine buried multiple times when stock.. and once after mods..

Sidewayz Hat Police LS1TransHed's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

I buried the needle once, so Ive gone 160mph. There is a road out where I used to live that I used to make a few 140mph runs on here and there in the middle of the night. Personally, it wasnt scary at, I felt completely comfortable (with the exception that I have no control of like.. a deer running out in the middle of nowhere lol).

Now doing something like that on a bike.. that would scare the shit out of me lol.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by LS1TransHed View Post
    I buried the needle once, so Ive gone 160mph. There is a road out where I used to live that I used to make a few 140mph runs on here and there in the middle of the night. Personally, it wasnt scary at, I felt completely comfortable (with the exception that I have no control of like.. a deer running out in the middle of nowhere lol).

Now doing something like that on a bike.. that would scare the shit out of me lol.
    it scared me the first time only.. a SHIT TON of air started to come through my ttops, and they were vibrating.. i slowed down real quick! haha

its not as bad as you would think on a bike.. takes some getting use to.. but not that bad.. the hardest thing is fighting the wind, you have to lean a whole lot just to get it to move a little bit once you get past 130-140.. kind of fun really.... but yes it is stupid, i know..

Sidewayz Hat Police LS1TransHed's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    it scared me the first time only.. a SHIT TON of air started to come through my ttops, and they were vibrating.. i slowed down real quick! haha

its not as bad as you would think on a bike.. takes some getting use to.. but not that bad.. the hardest thing is fighting the wind, you have to lean a whole lot just to get it to move a little bit once you get past 130-140.. kind of fun really.... but yes it is stupid, i know..
    Well I dont think any of us would have these cars if we werent risk takers lol. With absolutely no one around.. I dont see the harm in playing with our cars to their full potential. Its our choice to risk our lives when we play at those high speeds.

Now doing this in even very light traffic... now yeah, that would be stupid on any of our parts lol.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by LS1TransHed View Post
    Well I dont think any of us would have these cars if we werent risk takers lol. With absolutely no one around.. I dont see the harm in playing with our cars to their full potential. Its our choice to risk our lives when we play at those high speeds.

Now doing this in even very light traffic... now yeah, that would be stupid on any of our parts lol.
    +1... if you do it with traffic around, and wreck because of it..... i wont say you deserve it, cause i dont think anyone deserves something like that... but you had it coming to say the least..

Black
    2001 WS6

99 ws6 a4-headers, ex, lid, filter, dunlop sp5000's= 175 out in the middle of nowhere

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

stock a4 with 2.73s and i was in the nieghborhood of 148-150ish, wasnt looking at the speedo too much b/c at those speeds its like tunnel vision and all you see is straight ahead, but i will say it had plenty left to go, and idk about you guys but its seems like around 125-130 the air starts getting in the car from somewhere and it sounds like the cockpit of a jet fighter and just keeps getting worse the higher i would go. Could i have a window not closing all the way or some leak somewhere??

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

The need for speed?

I had mine up to 155mph. It was a '98RamAir WS6 M6 w/373 gears. That speed was in 5th gear pushing around 5000rpm.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I've had mine up to 162 one night (according to a Garmin Handheld GPS), and I still had 6th gear, which won't get you anywhere unless you have your powerband set up differently then stock.

Red
    1998 WS6 Trans Am

had mine up to 136 one night then slowed down as i saw traffic up in the distance and feared one could be a cop . i since then had to replace my transmission mount. i used a poly mount and now anytime i get over 100-110 i feel like my car is going to fall apart from vibration. maybe i'm just worrying too much? idk, maybe i'll go for higher in the future...

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by thiscatiskool View Post
    stock a4 with 2.73s and i was in the nieghborhood of 148-150ish, wasnt looking at the speedo too much b/c at those speeds its like tunnel vision and all you see is straight ahead, but i will say it had plenty left to go, and idk about you guys but its seems like around 125-130 the air starts getting in the car from somewhere and it sounds like the cockpit of a jet fighter and just keeps getting worse the higher i would go. Could i have a window not closing all the way or some leak somewhere??
    i made a comment on that in my post...

i was running from a cop and i hit about 140ish or so.. my ttops seemed as if they were about to fly off.. MASSIVE amounts of air were coming through.. i turned off, and continued running.. got away

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    i made a comment on that in my post...

i was running from a cop and i hit about 140ish or so.. my ttops seemed as if they were about to fly off.. MASSIVE amounts of air were coming through.. i turned off, and continued running.. got away
    You dog

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

^ So that was you..
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information