Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 LastLast

Top Speed?

This is a discussion on Top Speed? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos 600+ RWHP And then you are looking at blowing that overdrive gear out. It takes ...

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    600+ RWHP
    And then you are looking at blowing that overdrive gear out.

It takes a TON of power to be able to gain speed in 6th gear against the aerodynamics of the bricks we drive.
    I've seen other posts talking about our bad aerodynamics....
    How can they be bricks??? We have the most stream line vechile on the roads (execpt exotics). I realize that our pop-ups are like airbrakes, but bricks... really?
    3" MagnaFlow CatBack w/Corsa (clone)Tips, Lloyds Custom Floor Mats, SLP Lid, Pro 5.0 W/ Lou's SS, 7.5" Eaton Locker w/3.73, KYB AGX, BMR LCA's, FRA, SSE, 5% Tint, 18x9 C5 Rims w/Falken 452

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Fearls1 View Post
    I've seen other posts talking about our bad aerodynamics....
    How can they be bricks??? We have the most stream line vechile on the roads (execpt exotics). I realize that our pop-ups are like airbrakes, but bricks... really?
    we might look like we are very streamlined..and to a point we are...but all cars have their limits...and 170ish is pretty decent..considering everything...but our fronts are very brickish..that and our underbody is very violent to flow

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    we might look like we are very streamlined..and to a point we are...but all cars have their limits...and 170ish is pretty decent..considering everything...but our fronts are very brickish..that and our underbody is very violent to flow
    Well, 170mph is a speed that I will probably never see. A good lowering and maybe a front and rear air diffuser would help out. I'm very interested in the downforce our whale tails generate at high speeds. At that speed our asses should be planted!

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Well, 170mph is a speed that I will probably never see. A good lowering and maybe a front and rear air diffuser would help out. I'm very interested in the downforce our whale tails generate at high speeds. At that speed our asses should be planted!
    well we were talking about those speeds..

and at those speeds, we are bricks.. its no big deal at 50 mph.. and yes we are much more aero dynamic than 90% of the cars on the roads...

98' trans am

i dont think our wings are functional to tell you the truth

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i dont think our wings are functional to tell you the truth
    Seriously? They have to create some sort of down force.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Seriously? They have to create some sort of down force.
    they dont HAVE to do anything.. lmao..

but they possibly could...

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    they dont HAVE to do anything.. lmao..

but they possibly could...
    I think ours would help alittle bit. Only way to find out is to do a wind tunnel test though, like the Wind Shear for example.
    Last edited by Cronex; 12-25-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Black
    2001 WS6

our wings are non functional. The only wing on an f body that could be considered to have any kind of down force would be the SS wing on the camaro since it has the lip. Other than that...just for looks

MRM
    2002 T/A M6

That kinda sucks. Reminds me of my ricer days.

silver
    2002 ws6

i want to see 170 just once. i hit 166 on gps this summer. then i ran out of room.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    our wings are non functional. The only wing on an f body that could be considered to have any kind of down force would be the SS wing on the camaro since it has the lip. Other than that...just for looks
    this man speaks the truth..i believe the firehawk special edition wings are functional though

Black
    1999 Trans am

Had my 99 trans am up to 168 on a long empty I-55. Lowered 1.5 inches, had my GPS on the dash. Went to 150-155 real easy but took a little time to top out (the wall of wind took over). A4, no mods.
    Last edited by cam man; 12-29-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cam man View Post
    Had my 99 trans am up to 168 on a long empty I-55. Lowered 1.5 inches, had my GPS on the dash. Went to 150-155 real easy but took a little time to top out (the wall of wind took over). A4, no mods.
    I have the exact same car and we don't have the roads to do those speeds here but I never thought that it would actually go up to 168mph stock great accomplishment in my book. I brought mine up to 140-145mph and it didn't feel that fast but it was starting to it should feel darn fast at that. Balls to the wall man.

black
    2000 WS6

So what would it take to reach 200mph?

black
    98 ws6

I had my TA up to about 150 and the car started to get kinda light. I know it had more in it but we ran into traffic.

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Quote Originally Posted by ws6freek View Post
    I had my TA up to about 150 and the car started to get kinda light. I know it had more in it but we ran into traffic.
    I'm not confessing to anything, but a regular '98 TransAm did very well passing through 150, even with the drivers window open. It felt like it was pushing down. Some cars get light approaching 100. The F-bodies don't seem to at all.

You really need a lot of road at those speeds. 150 mph = 220 feet per second. 200mph = 293 feet per second. At 150 mph, you'll go a mile every 24 seconds. At 200mph, you'll go a mile every 18 seconds. It'll take more than 10 seconds to stop too, so you not only have to stay in your lane, but drive way ahead of yourself. There isn't much room for swerving, so you'd better pray no stray animals (or worse) wander into the road. Speeds like that are better for speedways than highways. Not that I don't like having the ability to do it if I wanted, I just don't recommend it.

black
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JWSmythe View Post
    I'm not confessing to anything, but a regular '98 TransAm did very well passing through 150, even with the drivers window open. It felt like it was pushing down. Some cars get light approaching 100. The F-bodies don't seem to at all.

You really need a lot of road at those speeds. 150 mph = 220 feet per second. 200mph = 293 feet per second. At 150 mph, you'll go a mile every 24 seconds. At 200mph, you'll go a mile every 18 seconds. It'll take more than 10 seconds to stop too, so you not only have to stay in your lane, but drive way ahead of yourself. There isn't much room for swerving, so you'd better pray no stray animals (or worse) wander into the road. Speeds like that are better for speedways than highways. Not that I don't like having the ability to do it if I wanted, I just don't recommend it.
    I would have to agree, definitely don't want to attempt 200 on the street. I'm just thinking about one of the standing mile races or the salt flats. I've been running at the local drag strip and would like to make some longer runs(legally)!
    BTW I still haven't seen any other newer Birds at the track.

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Quote Originally Posted by Josh G View Post
    I would have to agree, definitely don't want to attempt 200 on the street. I'm just thinking about one of the standing mile races or the salt flats. I've been running at the local drag strip and would like to make some longer runs(legally)!
    BTW I still haven't seen any other newer Birds at the track.
    If you do ever get the opportunity to run at 200mph, make very sure your tires are rated for it, and in pretty much pristine condition.
    W to 168mph.
    (W) over 168mph
    Y to 186mph
    (Y) over 186mph

I looked up my tires (275/40ZR-17 Sumitomo HTR Z III), and their service description is 98Y, which is load rating 98 (1653 pounds) and speed rating Y (186mph). I guess the serious problem would be, since I have a few mods done (but not many), and I do make more power than stock, how would I know when I pass 180mph with the stock speedo.

Don't try for a land speed record, even just among us here, without making very sure your equipment is up to it. I don't want to read about someone getting hurt because he (or she) lost a tire as he passed 190.

I don't know if you've ever experienced it, but when I was much younger, I had a tread separation on my right front tire at approx 125mph in my 1982 Firebird. I was going straight, with lots and lots of straight ahead of me. I was very lucky that the belts in the tire held together, so I was able to roll to a stop (about 2 miles down). I don't ever want to experience that again. It pretty much destroyed the right front fender (steel on that car), wheel wheel liner, and left marks on the side of the nose and down the passenger door.

With all that said, one of these days I'm going to get with a group that does the superspeedway rentals just to see how fast I can really go. And yes, I'll put on better tires for it too. I plan on breaking 186mph, even if it's just for part of one lap.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i think the fastest ive gotten mine up to was 160 via gps. of course before doing anything as stupid as this i would recommend giving the car a once over, air filter, oil/tranny fluid/brake fluid, tires, air pressure, brakes... the outcome is still the same as hitting a tree at 80, youll die, but you can controll certain aspects of a run like that.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information