Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819 LastLast

Top Speed?

This is a discussion on Top Speed? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by shady milkman weird..in most states i thought there was a do not pursue over 100 mph rule.. ...

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    weird..in most states i thought there was a do not pursue over 100 mph rule..
    We are not allowed to pursue unless it is a violent felon, or the driver is impaired and a danger to the public. Once those criteria are met it is game on though. It doesn't matter how fast we go. I have been @135 chasing a Prelude. And to the OP yes police interceptors will do above 100. I have had mine up to about 140.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by 4thtimes charm View Post
    so i've been reading all this and some say that police crown vics can't hardly push over 100
    i will have to call bs after sitting in the passenger seat of a state trooper car watching the needle stay on 145 for miles. yes out of the hole and from 70 to 110 ls powered even lt powered birds will smoke a police car. but they are faster in the long run than you might think. and if you run and he gets to that speed makes you run faster to keep ahead which makes you have to make even more stupid decisions in split seconds that can cause a spectacular crash and get you on an episode of worlds scarriest police videos. oh i've been to 148 clocked on radar by the same highway patrolman
    ......and.......?

lol.. do you have any freaking idea how long it would take one of those to get to 140... hell id have my car to 140 before it could hit 70 haha..
    police cars are a joke.. period....

yes you can argue that some of them have lambos and shit in other countries.. and they did have the B4C's... some have charges.. but you also have to think.. if they have a charger, they also have lights, a cage in the back, computers, radios, equipment, guns, etc... those things are HEAVY...

i would LOVE to see a normal every day cop car (impala, vic, charger, SUV, etc.) even keep up with me... or hell a stock ls1 for that matter...

and yes i have ran from my share fair, and am speaking from experience... not "well one time, my friend..." hahahahha..

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

o.. and you can save your "you cant outrun the radio"... haha...

maybe not in big cities, i wouldnt know... but where i live.... its not too much of a problem.. we are decently sized but not big by any means..

think what you want about running from the law.. and i will think what i want...

o, and if anyone is curious, i no longer run... i am on skinnies with no sway bar.. that=no fun at high speeds or corners...

i hard EVER street race any more either.. MAYBE once every 3-4 months..

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    ......and.......?

lol.. do you have any freaking idea how long it would take one of those to get to 140... hell id have my car to 140 before it could hit 70 haha..
    police cars are a joke.. period....

yes you can argue that some of them have lambos and shit in other countries.. and they did have the B4C's... some have charges.. but you also have to think.. if they have a charger, they also have lights, a cage in the back, computers, radios, equipment, guns, etc... those things are HEAVY...

i would LOVE to see a normal every day cop car (impala, vic, charger, SUV, etc.) even keep up with me... or hell a stock ls1 for that matter...

and yes i have ran from my share fair, and am speaking from experience... not "well one time, my friend..." hahahahha..
    It sucks that we are not allowed to chase people anymore cause it sure was fun. Now pursuits are few and far between. It truly is pretty easy to get away from law enforcement now days. Oh and yes it takes like a full minute and a half to get to 130 in a crown vic..

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    It sucks that we are not allowed to chase people anymore cause it sure was fun. Now pursuits are few and far between. It truly is pretty easy to get away from law enforcement now days. Oh and yes it takes like a full minute and a half to get to 130 in a crown vic..
    yea that must suck... fun as hell for you guys, and an adrenaline rush for us! hahahah

i wouldnt even want to see how long it took to get a vic up there, i would get hungry in the mean time.. hahahahaha..

is the rule for say tennessee the same as california and kentucky and so on, as far as you guys chasing us?

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

yea that must suck... fun as hell for you guys, and an adrenaline rush for us! hahahah

i wouldnt even want to see how long it took to get a vic up there, i would get hungry in the mean time.. hahahahaha..

is the rule for say tennessee the same as california and kentucky and so on, as far as you guys chasing us?
    I know when I started here, we could chase the shit out of anything that ran from us... Now it has to be either a danger to the public (drunk driver) or a known violent felon/someone who just commited a violent felony. Too many innocent people were getting hurt due to the cops/criminals crashing. Most agencies are going to similar policies. I know the county south of us still chases the shit out of anything that runs as well as the Florida State Patrol... I live in a university town that is criminal friendly thus we get scrutenized a lot more and are limited.

I still get one every once in a while though... And we have a good enough sized agency that if the car is faster, someone will be up the road laying down spike strips for the runner

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

[QUOTE=lemons12;1753315]yea that must suck... fun as hell for you guys, and an adrenaline rush for us! hahahah

Even though they are slow, Crown Vics are pretty good handling cars for as heavy as they are. Very safe too. They are the best Police car on the market which is why I was surprised that ford quit making them. You can also go offroading in a crown victoria (Chasing a dude on a bicycle lol) where as the new chargers sit too low and will bottom out.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

I still get one every once in a while though... And we have a good enough sized agency that if the car is faster, someone will be up the road laying down spike strips for the runner
    epic

Even though they are slow, Crown Vics are pretty good handling cars for as heavy as they are. Very safe too. They are the best Police car on the market which is why I was surprised that ford quit making them. You can also go offroading in a crown victoria (Chasing a dude on a bicycle lol) where as the new chargers sit too low and will bottom out.
    yea i have always thought they were pretty good handling cars.... they would have to be.... and i have seen some "wildest police chases" where the go muddin!

hahahahaa, i would love to be a cop!

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

epic

yea i have always thought they were pretty good handling cars.... they would have to be.... and i have seen some "wildest police chases" where the go muddin!

hahahahaa, i would love to be a cop!
    There is no other job like it. People hate on us cause they think we are powertripping. Most of us are just regular guys trying to keep the peace. There are some who got picked on in high school, and are "supercops." Not me, it is just the best job I could get without a college degree. Definitely does not pay enough. It is fun sometimes and stressful other times.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

There is no other job like it. People hate on us cause they think we are powertripping. Most of us are just regular guys trying to keep the peace. There are some who got picked on in high school, and are "supercops." Not me, it is just the best job I could get without a college degree. Definitely does not pay enough. It is fun sometimes and stressful other times.
    i hear that..

i looked into it a while back ago... i heard if you dont have a college degree, or some time in college at least that it is very hard to get much better than patrol..

but would still be a cool job..

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I think the cops around here respond to that stress with donuts cuz wow do we have some butterballs....

just so happened after i got my bird and my buddy got his mustang and we both live outa town and have been know to do stupid shit(like run)....just so happens.... month and a half after an incident with some enforcement.. the local cops got a charger....things still havent changed...its a toad..

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

i hear that..

i looked into it a while back ago... i heard if you dont have a college degree, or some time in college at least that it is very hard to get much better than patrol..

but would still be a cool job..
    Yeah. It is different every day. Patrol kicks ass. I would hate to be stuck behind a desk investigating thefts.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 12-19-2008 at 12:51 AM.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    I think the cops around here respond to that stress with donuts cuz wow do we have some butterballs....

just so happened after i got my bird and my buddy got his mustang and we both live outa town and have been know to do stupid shit(like run)....just so happens.... month and a half after an incident with some enforcement.. the local cops got a charger....things still havent changed...its a toad..
    I respond to stress with beer. I am not a butterball though. No doughnuts for me. I hate fat sloppy looking cops. They make the rest of us look like shit. I did spend 6 years in the army though so it is a habit to stay in shape.

We have some chargers too. They are toads as well. We do have a 1989 Mustang 5.0 that we siezed. It runs 10's... It never gets used though. They take it to gator nationals every year for some promotional crap.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I respond to stress with beer. I am not a butterball though. No doughnuts for me. I hate fat sloppy looking cops. They make the rest of us look like shit. I did spend 6 years in the army though so it is a habit to stay in shape.

We have some chargers too. They are toads as well. We do have a 1989 Mustang 5.0 that we siezed. It runs 10's... It never gets used though. They take it to gator nationals every year for some promotional crap.
    lol im better off on foot against ours... even a couple of my buddies who i consider outa shape have outran them... its sad really... i have gotten out of 3 minors that way...

that mustang would be a fun cop car, design specifically for chases...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

hey quick question since you'd know...my neighbors have had cops called on them for Dtp, and a bunch of stuff..but our landlord doesnt know...can i go to the police station and get all of those incident reports to give to the land lord?

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    hey quick question since you'd know...my neighbors have had cops called on them for Dtp, and a bunch of stuff..but our landlord doesnt know...can i go to the police station and get all of those incident reports to give to the land lord?
    If they are public record then yes you can get them. If they are exempt, then you would have to know someone to get a copy. Go to the local courthouse and ask, or to the local Police Department and ask them for a copy. The worst they can do is say no.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

[QUOTE=suede;1753742]lol im better off on foot against ours... even a couple of my buddies who i consider outa shape have outran them... its sad really... i have gotten out of 3 minors that way...

We have to do a timed obstacle course every year to stay employed.
    I think more places should do that. I have only lost a few bad guys on foot. I attribute it to wearing 40 Lbs of equipment. I think that is a good excuse lol.

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

TransAm top speed

Quote Originally Posted by mabluels1 View Post
    Maybe you guys can help me with this since I haven't done it yet. Whats the top speed that a stock WS6 can do before redline/governer goes on? I been told from 145-160...does anyone know it exactly or what have you guys had your cars up to?
    Honestly, I don't know the top speed either. I saw a few posts on here saying there is a governor. All I know is what I've observed.

To protect my innocence, "a friend of mine" took my '98 TransAm (not WS/6, stock, automatic) on a very long flat bridge. He was playing with another friend in a '00 Mustang GT. They both took off. Needless to say there was an awful lot of space between the Mustang and the Firebird.

When he started, all he could see was that the bridge ahead was clear. No cars anywhere to be seen, except for one van that they passed early on (like before they started playing).

As he passed 130 the road felt like it was getting narrower. This is a divided bridge, and there are two lanes each way, and just enough of a shoulder on each side to squeeze a car onto. Still, it felt like he could just barely stay off of each wall. The car got tighter with speed, which is good.

As he passed 150 (looked like an indicated speed of 151), he realized he was approaching two cars ahead rather quickly. They were still a couple miles ahead, but he hit the brakes.

At that kind of speed, it takes a long long time to slow down. A very long time. The gap closed quickly, and he found himself slowing down with just a little time to spare to sit behind two people driving 45mph side by side.

When he reached the other side of the bridge, the other two cars turned, and he stopped in a parking lot. He called back to the driver of the Mustang. "What happened, are you ok? Why did you slow down?"

"I haven't slowed down yet." It took about a minute or so for the Mustang to show up.

So, I don't even know the top speed of a regular stock TransAm. It was still accelerating until he hit the brakes.

The WS/6 is faster, and has better gear ratios for high speed. It does work accelerating in 6th gear, in a stock configuration. It works better with a few easy mods (i.e., more power). I've owned my '00 WS/6 for several years, and I've never been somewhere that's safe to do it where I know I won't get killed from someone pulling out; an animal jumping out; or getting arrested. You need a LOT of safe space to go that fast. Don't be stupid if you try to go that fast, make sure it's very very safe. Now that I'm older and wiser, I only play like that on tracks.

I was joking last night with a friend as we drove home, that I had the fastest 0 to 45mph car on the road. The speed limit for a long road where we live is 45. A Mustang and BMW were playing with each other (badly, I may add). There are a lot of cops on that road, and I usually see at least dozen people pulled over every week. Still, I ended up beside one of them at a light, where it was fairly (but not totally) safe. When the light turned green, I gave it just enough to make some noise (but no tire spin), and pull away from him hard. All the way to 45mph, where I set the cruise. He blasted by once I stopped accelerating. I saw pretty blue lights behind him by the time I got to my turn. Maybe he'll learn to pick his times to race, and his times to show off, and know that they aren't on roads with lots of cops.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by JWSmythe View Post

The WS/6 is faster, and has better gear ratios for high speed.

Fail....

They are stock for stock as the base trans am.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

We have to do a timed obstacle course every year to stay employed.
    I think more places should do that. I have only lost a few bad guys on foot. I attribute it to wearing 40 Lbs of equipment. I think that is a good excuse lol.
    ours def dont, I realize I'm alot faster than most but still.... I dont think these guys could catch me if i was wearin the 40 lbs

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information