Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tips, advice, recommendations, info for new owner

This is a discussion on Tips, advice, recommendations, info for new owner within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Good news is I fixed the headlight problem by following brent franker's guide. I'm so proud of myself ....

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Good news is I fixed the headlight problem by following brent franker's guide. I'm so proud of myself .

Pewter
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

air cleaner lid

Hey does anyone know where I can find one of those clear
    air filter lids that is in the picture above. Also that is one fine
    automobile.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Kalepsis View Post
    First tip: Don't use ImageShack hosting. It doesn't work on this forum.

Maintenance: These cars are extremely reliable, especially the engines. Have an oil change, even if it doesn't need one, and don't switch oils. I use Mobil-1 synthetic 10W30 religiously. Check your fuel and air filters (a K&N air filter will set you back about $65, but it's one of the best things you can do for its intake). Check transmission, power steering, and differential fluids, serpentine belt for frays, and hoses for cracks, dry-rot, or leaks... If there's nothing noticeably wrong, that's about it.

As far as performance goes, airflow is the first thing you should look at, because it opens up the way for more serious mods like heads, cam, blower, etc. when your funds allow. An SLP air lid will help free up the intake better. Watch out for some aftermarket lids because they tend to not seal correctly. Intake manifolds: I've heard the 2 best ones to use are the FAST LSX intake, or an LS6 intake. http://www.lmperformance.com/4196/1.html; or http://www.lmperformance.com/554/1.html Neither is cheap, but they'll flow better than an LS1 intake. Headers and a decent cat-back are essential. There's been a lot of discussion about the best headers and exhaust systems to use, so just do a search for that. Pacesetter long tubes and an SLP catback are pretty popular, and not too expensive.

Visuals: Personally, I think this is one of the most beautiful cars GM ever designed. The TA body and ground effects are top-notch in the looks department. But there's a few things you can do... HID headlights, custom side markers, custom emblems from Third_Shift, etc. Not too many companies make body kits for our cars because there's not much you can improve on.

Look at the pic, he already has an after market air lid. SLP does seem to fit the best but none of them seal like the factory lid. They just need a little extra attention to seal right

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by TheLightening View Post
    Hey does anyone know where I can find one of those clear
    air filter lids that is in the picture above. Also that is one fine
    automobile.

e-mail sent

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

FWIW: if you don't know what fluids have been changed: change them ALL, engine, trans, rear end (with POSI fluid if it calls for!), ps, and brakes too. Change out your plugs and wires, fuel filter, pcv valve and ALL belts & hoses and belt idler. Your car will likely need new shocks, save up and get bilstein hd's or better, $330+up for parts, free labor if you can do them or pay to have them done, has easy has everyone will tell you they are to change, the front ones if rusted, will cause you to cry like a bitch if their frozen. Clean your throttle body and MAF, first time I checked mine, it had gasket material pieces and bug wings caught by the MAF screen, but use the correct cleaning fluid for these too. After this stuff is done, you will be well on your way to the "MOD ZONE" like the rest of us, Welcome.

PS-Don't rush the mods, read up very good on all of them, some are hype but some are worth the time, effort, and money.
    Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 12-27-2007 at 10:57 PM. Reason: doah

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by onetroubledguy View Post
    Ok, then I will forget a catback since I already have dual w/ cutouts.

What do you think about the ceramic coated kooks headers here: http://www.lmperformance.com/15831/1.html. What's the power difference between the emissions and no emissions type?

From what I have read, I won't see a huge improvement with just headers, but will be noticeable with other upgrades like intake. Is this correct?

And, where does a y-pipe fit in with all this?
    Yes Kooks would be better than SLP headers. I personally have Hooker Ceramic LT, fit great. You will notice a big gain with just headers, I did. Should not be any power difference with emission/non-emission headers. The emission headers have fittings for your EGR and Air Pump, but don't really make any difference as far as flow. If you have no emission checks there or where you plan on living in a few years, get the non-emission headers, it looks better if you don't hook up your EGR and air pump.

You already have dual exhaust, right? No need for the y pipe then. I am jealous of the dual electric cutouts!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    Look at the pic, he already has an after market air lid. SLP does seem to fit the best but none of them seal like the factory lid. They just need a little extra attention to seal right
    Your old eyes fail you too, I see. That is what I thought when I read that second post, until I read the first line in that second post again.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Thanks Cajun & Too Fast. Useful info that I will put to good use.

black
    2002 trans am

hey man alos one of the things u will be havin problems wit is your parking lights...

they go out all the time i repalce mine at least once a month...
    idk they just go out ask anyone..
    water is a big reason ask around of how they deal with it..

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-Awesome

i definitely agree on tho damn parkin lights u should just go buy like 10 packs now save u trouble later..........and on appearance i would not change anything, just wash it and shittttttt

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I think the Trans Ams are one of the better looking cars, with the front fogs and bright amber driving lights on and no headlights. F'n awesome!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I think the Trans Ams are one of the better looking cars, with the front fogs and bright amber driving lights on and no headlights. F'n awesome!
    I agreee, I think it looks mean that way....that's how I run my Formula unless it's totally dark out, then I grudgingly turn on the headlights. As good looking as these cars are, I think they look goofy with the headlights up.

Is the parking light problem a T/A thing? My Formy is a DD and sees plenty of rain, and I haven't had to replace any bulbs in the 5 months I've owned it.

Oh, and to the OP... Congrats on the new ride!! You're going to love it!! You've gotten good advice here so far, this is the place to look for it. And I agree about not going mod crazy right away. Research, research, research! Plus you want to take soem time to get to know the car, that will give you a better idea of what it needs and what changes you'd like to make.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I'd have to say the parking light problem is mostly from people who drive thru a lot of water. That is when I've had problems with my car, or when driving in a heavy rain. I have gone 1 year before I have had to replace any of mine. I did notice the other day I have two slightly different colors on the amber bulbs! I hate that, going to get two of the same tomorrow.
    Last edited by Too Fast; 12-30-2007 at 05:47 AM.

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Kalepsis View Post
    First tip: Don't use ImageShack hosting. It doesn't work on this forum.

Maintenance: These cars are extremely reliable, especially the engines. Have an oil change, even if it doesn't need one, and don't switch oils. I use Mobil-1 synthetic 10W30 religiously. Check your fuel and air filters (a K&N air filter will set you back about $65, but it's one of the best things you can do for its intake). Check transmission, power steering, and differential fluids, serpentine belt for frays, and hoses for cracks, dry-rot, or leaks... If there's nothing noticeably wrong, that's about it.

As far as performance goes, airflow is the first thing you should look at, because it opens up the way for more serious mods like heads, cam, blower, etc. when your funds allow. An SLP air lid will help free up the intake better. Watch out for some aftermarket lids because they tend to not seal correctly. Intake manifolds: I've heard the 2 best ones to use are the FAST LSX intake, or an LS6 intake. http://www.lmperformance.com/4196/1.html; or http://www.lmperformance.com/554/1.html Neither is cheap, but they'll flow better than an LS1 intake. Headers and a decent cat-back are essential. There's been a lot of discussion about the best headers and exhaust systems to use, so just do a search for that. Pacesetter long tubes and an SLP catback are pretty popular, and not too expensive.

Visuals: Personally, I think this is one of the most beautiful cars GM ever designed. The TA body and ground effects are top-notch in the looks department. But there's a few things you can do... HID headlights, custom side markers, custom emblems from Third_Shift, etc. Not too many companies make body kits for our cars because there's not much you can improve on.

nicely done!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information