Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

Angry Time to kick rocks?

Here we go agian.......is it just me or are there other people out there who's birds just continuesly have issues. I have a 01 WS6 vert that sience the day after i bought it has had something that needed to be fixed. were talking little stupid things like headlight and window motors, belts slipping, doors cracking, bearings in the rear end failed ($1000 to fix that). the top started leeking, s**t just the other day the housing with the TCS and top switches just pop out!! WTF!! Its always one thing after another.the car just hit 70k!...............OK OK lets get back on track. i had a 97 WS6 that i sold for the same kind of thing, and i regreted it every day since. So im worried ill make the same mistake again. I need some feedback. Is this how these cars are? or do i just have terrible luck? Im in the Navy, and ive been saving my money incase i decide to get out, i have almost $8000 saved up. however if i keep sinkin all this money into this car just to keep it in good working condition ill be broke in no time. I dont know what to do. mabey i should just sell the car to someone who can take care of it. what do you guys think?

NBM
    98 trans am

i had the same problem... sell it and get a nicer one! or fix everything wrong with it... haha im no help...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

They all break, if you can do the work yourself with some simple hand tools your golden.
    Parts are cheaper than labor

black trans am

dude done sell it. learn to fix things ur self and have fun with it.... if ur getteing mad it it then back off it and do some info hunting... if u take care of ur car and learn to have fun while working on ur car when things break of go bad its not so bad... btw been ther and done that one every issue and i never think of selling the car... my car is a dd and i run 12s with a lot of work... i dont know any other car u can get for under 20k and run 12s and drive 30 mi a day all year with no isuses and beat the piss outta it at the track

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i know how you feel..it gets frustrating ..but just go WOT and remember why you have the car..just stick with it. (98 with 80k..and have been working on it for about 3 months) ..its always 1 thing after another you just have to deal with it

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

That’s funny about the TCS and Top switch popping out! Mine did the same thing two or three weeks ago. Poor design for the most part. You’ll find that GM discontinued the part and not one dealer has any left in stock. If your part failed the same way mine did, the bottom plastic tab that engages a post has broken off, don’t bother trying to glue it, it won’t last. I used 3M double sided trim tape, a small piece cut to length along the bottom of the cover plate. It holds it in place well, give it enough height to firmly engage the top holding clip and you can’t tell its there. I also ordered one of each switch, I’m sure at some point they will fail and be impossible to find. As these cars age we’ll just need to deal with these problems or sell them to someone with more patients.

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

Thanks guys. Im glad to find out that I am not the only having these problems....You know what.You guys are right, i have to keep the car. i love this thing!!!

Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2tuff4u View Post
    Here we go agian.......is it just me or are there other people out there who's birds just continuesly have issues. I have a 01 WS6 vert that sience the day after i bought it has had something that needed to be fixed. were talking little stupid things like headlight and window motors, belts slipping, doors cracking, bearings in the rear end failed ($1000 to fix that). the top started leeking, s**t just the other day the housing with the TCS and top switches just pop out!! WTF!! Its always one thing after another.the car just hit 70k!...............OK OK lets get back on track. i had a 97 WS6 that i sold for the same kind of thing, and i regreted it every day since. So im worried ill make the same mistake again. I need some feedback. Is this how these cars are? or do i just have terrible luck? Im in the Navy, and ive been saving my money incase i decide to get out, i have almost $8000 saved up. however if i keep sinkin all this money into this car just to keep it in good working condition ill be broke in no time. I dont know what to do. mabey i should just sell the car to someone who can take care of it. what do you guys think?
    Sell it and buy a Scion
    LS1 envy will set in immediately

Pewter
    2001 M6

I was thinking the same thing about how it has so many problems and that i should just sell it and be done with it. But then... I drove it and remembered why I bought it!!

The main reason why I'd like to trade mine. If I could fix things myself, wouldn't be such a big deal. It would be even worse if I needed to drive it more than I do. Driving a troubled Firebird with lots of nuisance problems is almost a no-reward situation when driving is limited and usually at low speeds. The car itself isn't made well, other than the engine and looks, in my opinion, so it's buyer-beware, especially now when you can't buy new.

Pewter
    2001 formula

i never have any problems with mine and it has 87k on it and its an 01

That you know of. I'd be surprised if any Firebird that's nearly all stock and has more than 50-60,000 miles could go through an extensive inspection and not have thousands of dollars in problems (labor included) to be addressed eventually.

Pewter
    2001 M6

I'm at 107k and the worst problem I've had was the alt went out on my way back from la but I have had a lot of small problems like my front o2s that I just replaced my fuel pressure reg that needs to be replace my leaking power steering pump which cause the alt to go out my torn front seat..... lol and the list goes on but you have to remember that the car is old it doesnt matter if the car had 10 miles on it is still almost 10 years old it's gonna have something that needs to be replaced so if u want a car that doesn't have a lot of problems I would suggest something newer.

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

i have never had any problems with mine its about to hit 70 thousand

I'd be fairly confident in a Firebird with low mileage. As long as it's been operated occasionally and garaged the rest of the time, the only original components I can think of that wouldn't last are the tires and maybe the hoses. From experience, I'd distrust a high-mileage car, and if I could do simple repairs and maintenance myself, that might cause a false sense of security. Leaks and suspension problems, for example, might not be obvious until they are severe. (Oops, that's getting into problems that are more than nuisance and maybe typical of old cars of many makes.) I think many of us are trying to cheat, i.e., save money during the buying and ownership - because good-looking cars with good engines usually cost a lot. Likewise, I have to believe that cutting corners is how GM produced the relatively low-priced Firebirds.
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 07-13-2009 at 09:05 PM.

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

So I took a 2010 camaro RS for a spin today, witch that 304hp feels more like two. But that's another story. So I called my insurance, and my policy will drop 30%!!!! From an 01 WS6 vret to an 2010 camaro!?!?!? Any ideas why???

Because it's a convertible - I'd guess that is part of it. I'd like to know other possible reasons - AAA lists some. If you are thinking of replacing it with a new Camaro, I say go for it, but get the V8 if you can.
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 07-13-2009 at 09:21 PM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 2tuff4u View Post
    So I took a 2010 camaro RS for a spin today, witch that 304hp feels more like two. But that's another story. So I called my insurance, and my policy will drop 30%!!!! From an 01 WS6 vret to an 2010 camaro!?!?!? Any ideas why???
    Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    Because it's a convertible - I'd guess that is part of it. I'd like to know other possible reasons - AAA lists some. If you are thinking of replacing it with a new Camaro, I say go for it, but get the V8 if you can.
    v8, convertible and they can also base rates on how "at risk" your car is..by filed accident reports of that car

For what it's worth, my liability insurance went up less than 10% going from a Firebird V6 to a newer Trans Am with higher mileage.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Its a cheap sportscar its gonna have issues. Like my rearend, TCS switch poppin out, ashtray lid broke, actually thats all the issues I have so I'm apparently lucky.........oh and my T/A cost less to insure than my 98 GMC Sierra however that works!?!?

Thread Information