Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tick, Tick, Ticking sound.....

This is a discussion on Tick, Tick, Ticking sound..... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; not to put a scare into you or anything but mine started to tick tick tick and eventually got worse. ...

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

not to put a scare into you or anything but mine started to tick tick tick and eventually got worse. ticking sped up with RPM. my rod bearing spun. i planned to sell it and buy another one and tried to take the easy way out and just have my crank welded and turned. i dont recommend that cause my crank eventually broke where it was welded. cracked my piston head bent 4 valves and bent the push rods too. luckly all my block needed was honed. expensive mistake by taking a short cut.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

My guess is the exhaust leak, so heres what you do take apart everything have the block refinished have the heads port polished get a bigger cam, forged internals and supercharge it.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    My guess is the exhaust leak, so heres what you do take apart everything have the block refinished have the heads port polished get a bigger cam, forged internals and supercharge it.
    lol i wish!!! No it doesn't sound as loud as a woodpecker. It is just a slight ticking noise that you can hear in park then when you put it in reverse or drive you can hear it louder but not as loud as a woodpecker. It also accelerates when i accelerate.

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    lol i wish!!! No it doesn't sound as loud as a woodpecker. It is just a slight ticking noise that you can hear in park then when you put it in reverse or drive you can hear it louder but not as loud as a woodpecker. It also accelerates when i accelerate.
    as per my post above, mine started just as yours is now. IMO it is something like what i had. just keep a close ear to it. you might get lucky and it just be a push rod or lifter problem, cause a crank is expensive. i got lucky and found a crank in perfect condition(per the machine shop) for just $130.00 shipped to me.

For one
    Looking

clg Please before you panic try my trick to find where the noise is coming from BEFORE you go through expensive repairs and or diagnosis. Until you know what part its coming from any diagnosis will cause you to spend more time and money to find the real problem. Hose is cheap... Most people have some laying around. If you go by telling us the basic "its ticking" it can be
    valves(expensive)
    transmission trouble(CAN be expensive)
    flywheel(difficult)
    exhaust(relatively cheap)
    pulleys(relatively simple)
    wiring(cheap to fix, expensive to find)
    cracked spark plug(tune up time)
    solenoid(easy to fix)
    debris in the oil pan(time consumiing)
    random external debris(easily cleared... and free)
    Oil pump(very time consuming)
    cracked fan shroud(mechanical fan only)

If you aren't going to take the time to find where it is coming from, take it to a shop. Expect to get raped on the charges, but suck it up, because you aren't willing to find where it came from yourself. It is easy to speculate on what it might could sorta be, but until we know where the ticking is, we really are no better than blind mechanics with our hands tied behind our backs and earplugs in. Would you trust that mechanic to tell you what's wrong with your engine? If you would I'll give you directions to my shop haha(just kidding... I'm one of the honest ones)

By the way... My opposition to WD-40 is that it can CAUSE rust. I know some people live by it, but please not in the engine bay.

2000 Trans Am

The ticking sound actually sounds like it is air escaping and it sounds like it is coming from the drivers side of the engine, i did just get a tune up not to long ago. If that helps any.
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

For one
    Looking

High or low on the engine
    More forward, or more back.
    The good thing is if it sounds like air escaping it is likely just an exhaust leak. Check right around where the exhaust manifold meets the Y pipe. It could be leaking right there... Has anyone hit the exhaust on anything(say going over an intersection in LA haha)? If so it could be cracked right at the flange... It might not even look like it, but if you hear air escaping that's actually a better thing than ticking.

Congratulations... you have just taken your first steps to being able to diagnose your own problems haha... Well second step... first is knowing that ticking is not a normal thing to hear

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
    High or low on the engine
    More forward, or more back.
    The good thing is if it sounds like air escaping it is likely just an exhaust leak. Check right around where the exhaust manifold meets the Y pipe. It could be leaking right there... Has anyone hit the exhaust on anything(say going over an intersection in LA haha)? If so it could be cracked right at the flange... It might not even look like it, but if you hear air escaping that's actually a better thing than ticking.

Congratulations... you have just taken your first steps to being able to diagnose your own problems haha... Well second step... first is knowing that ticking is not a normal thing to hear
    I just had slp loudmouth exhaust put on from the cat back but i could swear that it was doing the ticking noise before i got the exhaust put on. Should I take it back to the place that put it on and see if they can tell what is going on?

For one
    Looking

If it was cat back then yeah if it was there before, it would still be there after. Cat forward would(likely) have gotten rid of it as the flange and manifolds would(should) have been replaced. But yeah take it to the exhaust shop unless you are good at welding your own exhaust pipes haha... Let them know you have an exhaust leak on the driver's side and give them as close of an approximation of where the exhaust leak is. It might keep them from trying to tell you you need a whole new exhaust system... If they do that, run from that shop.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
    If it was cat back then yeah if it was there before, it would still be there after. Cat forward would(likely) have gotten rid of it as the flange and manifolds would(should) have been replaced. But yeah take it to the exhaust shop unless you are good at welding your own exhaust pipes haha... Let them know you have an exhaust leak on the driver's side and give them as close of an approximation of where the exhaust leak is. It might keep them from trying to tell you you need a whole new exhaust system... If they do that, run from that shop.
    But why in the hell would the sound get louder when I put it in drive and reverse and not when it is in park at idle????

For one
    Looking

Unless your engine is solid mounted, there will be a slight shift in the position of the engine, and also as the engine labors more(not much) it may just be more pronounced. Since at a lower rpm it may actually allow less air out leaving a wider gap between "tick"s as the RPM increases, the gaps make it seem less pronounced.

2000 Trans Am

Awesome man I appreciate all of the help, I am gonna take it back to the place that did it and have them look at it, it should be a pretty quick fix and maybe they won't charge me. Well thanks again for everything and I will let you know how it turns out.

For one
    Looking

No Problem, I hope I gave you enough information to help out. Please let me know if that isn't it.

2000 Trans Am

The mechanic said it sounded like a exhaust leak, but i have got to wait until the exhaust guy gets back from lunch so he can see.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Are you taking my advise and doin a complete rebuild?lol

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Are you taking my advise and doin a complete rebuild?lol
    Believe me I have the money!!! It's just getting around the wife that's the problem!!!

2000 Trans Am

Well I finally got the problem fixed and it was (drum roll please) A LOOSE SPARK PLUG (applause applause). Thanks to everyone that tried to help. Ls1 is a great site for newbies to find stuff out, and I thank all of you once again!!!

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Well I finally got the problem fixed and it was (drum roll please) A LOOSE SPARK PLUG (applause applause). Thanks to everyone that tried to help. Ls1 is a great site for newbies to find stuff out, and I thank all of you once again!!!
    jesus..................

good you got it squared away though

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

Wow.....

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

god damnit, i told you my story!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information