Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tick, Tick, Ticking sound.....

This is a discussion on Tick, Tick, Ticking sound..... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; you popped a lifter, welcome to hell....

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you popped a lifter, welcome to hell.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Popping a lifter isnt hell, just means you have to take apart the top end of your motor, which is fun IMO.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post

you popped a lifter, welcome to hell.
    how much does this cost for a mechanic to fix, and will it hurt my car in the long run?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    how much does this cost for a mechanic to fix, and will it hurt my car in the long run?
    you really need to exhaust all obvious options before you get to thinking its a lifter and panic....

Navy Blue Metallic
    '02 Trans Am WS6

Don't put WD40 on anything! Use silcone spray.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
    No actually I wouldn't. I try to avoid putting a lubricant on pulleys unless I know that's the problem. Find out where exactly the ticking is coming from. If you don't know where it is coming from you can cause more work than you need. An old trick is to use a piece of hose, and putting one end up to your ear, and moving it around until you get to the spot that the ticking is loudest. Once you know where it is coming from, then you can tell what needs to be done.
    that is a amazing idea.. thanks man, i'll remember that. rep points for you tommycat!!! rep points for you!!

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    you really need to exhaust all obvious options before you get to thinking its a lifter and panic....
    Everyone keeps telling me not to use wd40!!! I'm getting nervous about that idea again.

2000 Trans Am

UPDATE...The ticking sound is extremly light almost inaudible when you have it in park. But when you put it in reverse or drive you can really hear it!!! Anyone have anymore ideas?

98' trans am

UPDATE...The ticking sound is extremly light almost inaudible when you have it in park. But when you put it in reverse or drive you can really hear it!!! Anyone have anymore ideas?
    its probbally rpm related so in park rpms drop so i dont think it really matters

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

it's either a lifter or a rocker-only because they are moving proportionally to the engine's speed. Open your hood while the car is on, crank open the throttle and listen to where the noise is coming from.

It might cost 300-500 to fix it if a shop knows what they're doing. Remove manifold/coil packs/valve covers/valve train/rockers/pushrods, engine head and exhaut manifold then you'll find the lifter.

I don't know if it will mess up the engine, but i know that at 6500 rpms, i want all my cylinders firing @ full capacity

2000 Trans Am

it's either a lifter or a rocker-only because they are moving proportionally to the engine's speed. Open your hood while the car is on, crank open the throttle and listen to where the noise is coming from.

It might cost 300-500 to fix it if a shop knows what they're doing. Remove manifold/coil packs/valve covers/valve train/rockers/pushrods, engine head and exhaut manifold then you'll find the lifter.

I don't know if it will mess up the engine, but i know that at 6500 rpms, i want all my cylinders firing @ full capacity
    So you don't think that I am fully firing and not getting the full horsepower that my car is capable of? Cause it seems to me that I am still at the same horsepower I think I should be at.

98' trans am

2000pontiac6
    i'm having almost the same problem... but i'm almost positive its because i just put on headers and i have an exhaust leak. deffinitely try and frind the where its coming from first

Pewter
    2000 z28

i think some of you are taking this wd 40 thing too far. guess what? my idler pulley was the one squeeking and i didnt know it at the time. i sprayed wd 40 on the pulleys while the car idled and figured out what it was. when mine was at idle it was barely noticable, but when i put it in gear and drove...LOUD.

btw, the wd 40 dries up in a few seconds so you wont slip the belts under any circumstances. i know what the rumor is with the serp belt but NO ONE will be able to slip the belt as easily as it appears within this thread, especially at idle.

we dont know what the problem is for sure, so i dont think discrediting certain things is smart. i simply say that you check all your bases and then go from there. what if he takes the heads off and it isnt a lifter??? dumb move not to exhaust all options.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

So you don't think that I am fully firing and not getting the full horsepower that my car is capable of? Cause it seems to me that I am still at the same horsepower I think I should be at.
    the ticking sound comes from the pushrod jumping up and down inside the head instead of being anchored snuggly into the "basket" of the lifter. So one of your cylinders is either not getting enough air or exhausting properly b/c the rod isn't opening the valve at the correct time.

It's minimal loss, bud holy shit is it annoying to "clack" down the road

2ndgearscratch-i've never heard a pulley "tick" so i just think you're way off man.

Pewter
    2000 z28

the ticking sound comes from the pushrod jumping up in down inside the head instead of being anchored snuggly into the "basket" of the lifter. So one of your cylinders is either not getting enough air or exhausting properly b/c the rod isn't opening the valve at the correct time.

It's minimal loss, bud holy shit is it annoying to "clack" down the road

2ndgearscratch-i've never heard a pulley "tick" so i just think you're way off man.
    the bearing inside the pulley gets worn and ticks against the plastic....i only know this meaningless info because i went through it. i know i dont have lifter problems.

no disrespect man....im just saying thats what the case was with mine. i could be way off.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that's news to me, hoss. It's up to clg82 to figure out if the noise is up high or down low and report. One post he said "it's faint until the rpm's rise" so it might not be a lifter b/c that sucker sounds like a woodpecker

2000 Trans Am

that's news to me, hoss. It's up to clg82 to figure out if the noise is up high or down low and report. One post he said "it's faint until the rpm's rise" so it might not be a lifter b/c that sucker sounds like a woodpecker
    No it doesn't sound as loud as a woodpecker. It is just a slight ticking noise that you can hear in park then when you put it in reverse or drive you can hear it louder but not as loud as a woodpecker. It also accelerates when i accelerate.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

man, i remember when i tore down and put it all back together-gave the key a twist and the sound was gone...then all of a sudden TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP I looked in the engine bay, about to cry, when i saw that a spark plug came off....man, i was happy that was over.

Pewter
    2000 z28

man, i remember when i tore down and put it all back together-gave the key a twist and the sound was gone...then all of a sudden TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP I looked in the engine bay, about to cry, when i saw that a spark plug came off....man, i was happy that was over.
    boy do i know that feeling...when your stomach drops through your ass.

sucks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information