Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tick master cylinder

This is a discussion on Tick master cylinder within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by SuperSSguy When mine did it the dealership repalced it under extended warranty (thank god!)..they said it was ...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    When mine did it the dealership repalced it under extended warranty (thank god!)..they said it was a bad ''stop'' same thing your saying different terminology i guess... I have 67,000 mi on my SS and it went out years/miles ago...so its not always a mileage issue? Bad QC.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at American Powertrains website maybe?
    Ya trying to put it simply there are "keys" or stops that lock the slider over the gear and synchro when you select a gear to keep that gear engaged if the keys get bent or broken then to slider will not lock into the gear and it will slide right out... If you ever see a cutaway of a manual gear set you see what I mean lol

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    A bad synchro will not cause you to pop out of a gear. Once the gear is engaged the synchro does nothing so it wont pop out. A synchro going bad will cause grinding on upshifting eventually but is usually noticeable on the downshift first because thats when the synchro works the hardest. If you're popping out of gear it could be a couple things, one is that your shift fork is bent and doesnt allow the gear to engage fully thus popping out or your synchro hub keys are bent or broken which doesnt let the slider "lock" into the gear.
    I had a bent 3rd gear shift fork which would pop the trans out of gear.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I had a bent 3rd gear shift fork which would pop the trans out of gear.
    Yup the 3-4 fork gets bent often and thats why its replaced with a steel one usually. anything that makes the trans pop out while in gear is either fork or slider hub related. a synchro will only show its ugle head on shifting usually downshifting, because there the synchro has to "grab" the gear and spin it up to speed.

gettig back on topic for the op though. when you say its blocked out of 3rd at high rpm does it grind or just hit a wall? If it hits a wall and doesnt grind most likely its hydraulics. it could be the m/c needs to be adjusted out a little more or that the pressure plate on the clutch has taken a crap. if it as something in the tranny it would grind. when the synchro goes out it cannot match the speed of the gear so when you enter the gate you WILL hear a nasty grind. If its blocking you out its hydraulic or clutch issue and if you adjust the mc out more then i'd lean towards the clutch
    Last edited by redbird555; 08-28-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

This has been disgussed on other threads too.....Not sure if the op has same problem but on mine it doesnt grind at all it just seems to mis the notch almost as if its in the middle were theres no notch...only on fast rapid shifts ..i mean real fast/hard.... @ normal to lightly spirited shifting its fine. Other members have said what your saying about it possibly being a hydraulic issue..I still have stock unit and im ashamed to admit,,,,not the clearest fluid..it somehow gets murky .

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by johnfin View Post
    Does Tremec sell a bolt in 6 speed for our cars and if so how $$$.
    Yes its called the t56 magnum. Its basically tr6060 internals inside a t56 case. Its very expensive but also one of the strongest tranny's you can get for our cars.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    This has been disgussed on other threads too.....Not sure if the op has same problem but on mine it doesnt grind at all it just seems to mis the notch almost as if its in the middle were theres no notch...only on fast rapid shifts ..i mean real fast/hard.... @ normal to lightly spirited shifting its fine. Other members have said what your saying about it possibly being a hydraulic issue..I still have stock unit and im ashamed to admit,,,,not the clearest fluid..it somehow gets murky .
    Yes I do remember discussing it before, I cant seem to recall do you have a tick m/c? If so then the issue is most likely in the clutch or slave. The stock self adjusting pressure plate on the clutch is nice for routine driving because it always engages at the same spot no matter how wore out the clutch is. Problem is that over time the PP gets weak and will no longer disengage at high rpm/speed. When you spin the motor high the plate fingers get sucked in to the middle and then when you push the clutch down the slave cannot full depress the PP causing the condition you have.

The other possibility is that the slave isnt extending correctly when you try to shift that quick but I doubt it there.

If your still wondering about synchros theres an easy test you can do that most of the time determines if they're bad... Go do about 60 on an open road and put the car in neutral, and let the clutch out. The blip the throttle so the rpms come up to about 3k. Let off the throttle, push the clutch in and push it into 3rd, you will feel resistance which is the synchro spinning up , but if it goes in ok then they are most likely fine.

What I would do first since its cheap is flush ALL the fluid. Look up the jmd method, it basically involves 2 people. Get a 90 degree spark plug boot and some clear rubber tubbing, fix the rubber tubing into the boot then loosen the slave bleeder and attach the boot there. Now place the one end of the hose into a jar and while someone keeps an eye on the fluid reservoir pump the pedal. You will see all the nasty fluid get pumped from the slave. Now on top add some new fluid, keep pumping until you get clear fluid then close the bleeder and your done. By doing it this way instead of just sucking out the reservoir you get all the fluid from the system flushed. People who just replace whats in the reservoir wonder why the fluid gets dark almost instantly, its because most of the fluid is still in the system.....
    Last edited by redbird555; 08-29-2012 at 05:16 AM.

clutch

All the parts are new, PP, flywheel, slave, master.
    Is it bad for the clutch/transmission to match rev shift up and down without the clutch.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

All the parts are new, PP, flywheel, slave, master.
    Is it bad for the clutch/transmission to match rev shift up and down without the clutch.
    if its all new i would suggest playing with the adjustment some more maybe a little further out. and its no necessarily bad for the transmission but it does make the synchs work harder when you don't use the clutch which would wear them out faster so i tend to use the clutch and rev match

rev match

My T-56 does not pull into neutral with out the clutch very well making me think rev match is not that great for the transmission. Adjusting out - meaning make the rod longer? When I first adjusted it the pedal was on the floor, 1/2" off the floor it launched. THen I made the rod longer so it launched half way up, seems to be ok.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

ya i mean like i said forcing the transmission into gear without using the clutch even rev matching makes the synchros spin the gear all on their own which wears them out much quicker. and just wondering where is your pedal now relative to the height of the brake and did u also take out the clutch return spring

clutch

Return spring is off. Pedal started off 3/4" down from brake pedal (drag mode) then I adusted it and its pretty close to the brake pedal height which is pretty cool. When taking off in 1st or reverse like in a driveway, do you get a little vibration from the clutch or tranny.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Return spring is off. Pedal started off 3/4" down from brake pedal (drag mode) then I adusted it and its pretty close to the brake pedal height which is pretty cool. When taking off in 1st or reverse like in a driveway, do you get a little vibration from the clutch or tranny.
    no the only vibration i get is if i let the rpms drop a little too low and the motor shutters. what kind of clutch are you running? also does the car go into gear smoothly at a stop? or is there resistance getting it into gear? tick also says that even when you have the car shifting smoothly into 1st at a stop to go do some hard runs and if your still locked out of gear try adjust it further out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information