Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thinking about getting a lid for the WS6

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting a lid for the WS6 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Some people do not like the SSRA because it blocks part of the radiator and causes the engine to run ...

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Some people do not like the SSRA because it blocks part of the radiator and causes the engine to run warmer. They also worry about picking up water from the road because it goes so low (under the front bumper). The FTRA is more popular because it does not go as low, and therefore does not have those worries. Still yet, CAI systems are preferred by some. Everyone has an opinion.

I recommend sealing your hood, removing the second baffle, and using a good filter over anything else. It's cheaper, and just as good. Spend the money saved on other performance goodies, like getting your TB ported/polished/bump stop ground and a lid. You won't regret it...

Don't tread on me!

Pewter
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    Some people do not like the SSRA because it blocks part of the radiator and causes the engine to run warmer. They also worry about picking up water from the road because it goes so low (under the front bumper). The FTRA is more popular because it does not go as low, and therefore does not have those worries. Still yet, CAI systems are preferred by some. Everyone has an opinion.

I recommend sealing your hood, removing the second baffle, and using a good filter over anything else. It's cheaper, and just as good. Spend the money saved on other performance goodies, like getting your TB ported/polished/bump stop ground and a lid. You won't regret it...

When you say sealing the hood, do you mean sealing the gap between the ram air slots and the air intake so that cold air is inducted via the hood as opposed to hot under-the-hood air?

Also, what does having the throttle body modified accomplish? Better air/fuel flow?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Exactly, sealing that 1" gap between the hood and the airbox.

P&P the TB smoothes airflow, increasing throttle reponsiveness and increases power. Same principle as gasket matching heads/intakes, and P&P combustion chambers. Straighter flowing, cooler air makes more power.

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    Here's what I did with materials from Lowes: http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...42420/JGRA.jpg . Cost me $25 for Lexan, self tapping screws, and some weather stripping. Took about an hour to make and install. You can see I left the rear baffle to deflect rain in the picture, it's the black thing. Some people take their time and make really nice looking setups. Here's one that gave me the idea: http://guerragroup.com/2000TA.htm
    so how exactly does the air go into the air box when you have this sealed off? i can see how it would direct it straight on a voltant set up.. but how would it do it on a sealed off air box? kinda confused

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

The car gets air through the intakes on the hood when you're sealed right. The hood intakes feed into a 'box' in the hood with a rectangular (roughly 4Hx10L") opening in the underside where it meets the airbox when the hood is closed. What you are sealing is the 1" gap between the airbox on the car, and the 'airbox' in the hood when the hood is closed. Without the seal, you pull in hot air from the engine compartment through the 1" gap. In my pic, you see the black baffle that is there from the factory. I removed the rear one, but left the front one. In the second link (Patrick G's), he removed both baffles so you can actually see the inside of the nostrils.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oh ok i think i get it.. thanks

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

the ssra seems pretty sweet!

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

but it being low like the SSRA or FTRA seems like it would suck in a lot of dirt and debris right?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    but it being low like the SSRA or FTRA seems like it would suck in a lot of dirt and debris right?
    Yes, more than without, but partially because of the extra airflow. For non-WS6/SS owners, it's better to have some type of CAI setup than not so far as power goes, you'll just go through air filters more often. With a SS/WS6, you can just seal the hood. SS/WS6 owners don't really need SSRA, FTRA, or any of the CAI setups.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oh ok yeah. so either a lid or volant, kind of leanin towards a lid since more ppl have them than volant.. plus the volant set up is like 300 $

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information