Thinking about buying a Trans Am WS6

Hi All

First post. Great site. Very informative.

So this past Spring I sold my totally restored '68 Camaro convertible. It was more or less of a car show/cruise night vehicle and I was feeling the need to get something I could have a little more fun with without being paranoid that a leaf or a bird feather might fall onto my car every time I pulled it out of the garage...

Anyway, high on the list of replacements for my "toy vehicle" is a Trans Am WS6. In my opinion, one of the meanest looking cars ever built. Since this is going to be (for the most part) my daily Spring and Summer vehicle in CT, I'd like to stay with the more recent model years: 2000 - 2002. I figure the newer models will have less mileage and need less of the normal wear and tear parts replaced.

So having said that I'd like to defer to the experts in terms of what I should look for when I am looking at potential vehicles:

- What are common issues I should look for when shopping for one of these beasts? I'm already aware of the door panel issue, headlight problems and window motors. What else, in terms of more major mechanical issues, should be on the look out for?

- Someone told me that the transmission mounts on these cars can have issues. Any truth to that?

- How is the reliability? Keep in mind it will be, for the most part, my daily driver for about 6 months out of the year. I do have a SUV that I can also use if needed. I'll use that all Winter.

- I've been reading that they are pretty bad in terms of rattling and noises and such. Is this true? Would a vert be worse than a T top car in this regard or are they about the same? Would subframe connectors help with that?

I went from being an "expert" on first generation Camaro's to knowing virtually nothing about the 4th gen Pontiacs & Camaros so any info you guys could give me I would appreciate.

Thanks!
    Dan

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    Anyway, high on the list of replacements for my "toy vehicle" is a Trans Am WS6. In my opinion, one of the meanest looking cars ever built. Since this is going to be (for the most part) my daily Spring and Summer vehicle in CT, I'd like to stay with the more recent model years: 2000 - 2002. I figure the newer models will have less mileage and need less of the normal wear and tear parts replaced.
    As old as all of them are, it will really come down to how the cars have been treated. One of my buddies has a 2002 that is beat to hell, while my 1998 is extremely clean. Do know that '01-'02s are typically more sought after because they have the LS6 intake and put down a few extra horses on average.

So having said that I'd like to defer to the experts in terms of what I should look for when I am looking at potential vehicles:

- What are common issues I should look for when shopping for one of these beasts? I'm already aware of the door panel issue, headlight problems and window motors. What else, in terms of more major mechanical issues, should be on the look out for?

- Someone told me that the transmission mounts on these cars can have issues. Any truth to that?

- How is the reliability? Keep in mind it will be, for the most part, my daily driver for about 6 months out of the year. I do have a SUV that I can also use if needed. I'll use that all Winter.
    the issues you listed are the major things, others include bubbling on the sail panel that wraps around the top of the car, cracked dash pads, problems with the VATS system, (once you know what to do it's easy to fix) and faulty electronics (simple fix with a saudering iron). The trans mounts will continually break if the motor mounts are worn, not a lot of people figure that out on their own.

mine has been extremely reliable, overall they are average on reliablility, I always say a car will treat you as good as you treat it.

- I've been reading that they are pretty bad in terms of rattling and noises and such. Is this true? Would a vert be worse than a T top car in this regard or are they about the same? Would subframe connectors help with that?

I went from being an "expert" on first generation Camaro's to knowing virtually nothing about the 4th gen Pontiacs & Camaros so any info you guys could give me I would appreciate.

Thanks!
    Dan
    subframe connectors should always be the first mod anyone does. yes they will help that a lot. the interior is plastic so there will be some squeeking in the winter time, sometimes you can track down the noises and put some vaseline on them to quiet them down..

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    Hi All

First post. Great site. Very informative.

So this past Spring I sold my totally restored '68 Camaro convertible. It was more or less of a car show/cruise night vehicle and I was feeling the need to get something I could have a little more fun with without being paranoid that a leaf or a bird feather might fall onto my car every time I pulled it out of the garage...

Click for full size

Thanks!
    Dan
    Awesome looking Camaro,i think Justinmc978 just about summed it up,the years pretty much dont matter in terms of mileage and condition i have seen some 93,94,95 cars look & perform better than some 97,98,99 & so on it really depends on the person,there are a lot of great cars out there you'll find one,good luck on your purchase and welcome to the bird nest.....

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I agree with above. Justin summed it up nicely, you have to keep your eyes open and maybe be a bit picky. I think the last WS6s were some of the meanest F-bodies built also, especially when driven with the amber DRLs and the fog lights on! Get subframe connectors on it to help with squeaks, but I don't really have any in mine. I guess I've stayed on top of them. Don't worry much about 100k on one of these cars also, I have 107 on mine now and she still runs like new, no oil consumption, no fluid leaks, OE diff still no issues, I still love the 6 speed tranns, etc. My OE brake pads lasted 101k, and the rears lasted 65k. Car needs rotors now, they are undersized, but this is all normal stuff

That was a nice Camaro you had. I drove a '67 400 4-speed Firebird for 11 years before I bought a 4th gen, it's so much easier to live with daily then my '67 was. And now, with the WS6 being 12 years old, it is starting to get more compliments.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

My DD WS6 has 127,xxx miles on it. Ive tried selling it but nobody wants a bird with that many miles. I guess that lower number in the dash makes it look or run better, i dont know??! Ive personally havent had any mechanical problems. The car was stock internally up into about 120,xxx miles when i put a camshaft in it along with some other things. The car runs great!!! No smoking no nothin. Like said before if you take care of the car it will run forever! There is a guy that lives down my street with a 93 z28 with 112,xxx miles on it. It looks great and runs great too. He also takes very good care of his car. Thats all it really comes down to!

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I have a 2002 WS6, 40,xxx miles, and virtually no problems aside from the window and headlight motor issues you've mentioned. Ive already had it for a year and a half (as my daily driver). It's a beautiful car, I get a lot of compliments on it, so no worries about getting recognized lol but you would know with that beautiful camaro you got. If you want a ws6 I'd say look out for unnecessary mods (unless you don't mind them). A common issue with my bird is that "security" light in the dash stays on. But I heard theres a way to by pass that.

Also, don't be afraid to look out of state for one. I bought mine from Alabama and I live in Arizona. $12,500 for that silver ws6 27k miles, and all that needed replacing was a window motor and tires.
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP,

You had one sweet ride, not sure I could depart from something like that.

Here are a couple of threads that will help you in the information department.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/differe...y-years-27512/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/guide-buying-fbody-118628/

Thanks all for the info!!!!! I someone that needs to know as much as I can about something before I purchase it so this site will be very helpful. I won't be buying until Spring so I'm sure I will have lots more questions before that.

Thanks again!

black
    2002 WS6

I have a black 2002 WS6 with under 2000 miles on her....no issues so far, but she doesn't get driven that much either. I bought her when she only had 600 miles on her about 4 years ago. She sits in the garage with 2 covers over her, and does not see rain, snow, or any ill weather. Guess that is why I have to trickle charge the battery half the time. Hubby has a 1998 that he has done many mods on, and except for the rims, it is identical to mine for the most part...but faster of course! LOL We don't get to take them out like we would like to, every time we think about it, something comes up or the weather turns bad. He has had issues with his, but with the computer programs and his knowledge, there hasn't been much he couldn't fix. His was beat to crap when he got it and he has put many hours bringing the paint back and such. I can't say that his issues are ones he has created or were the result of someone not taking care of it. He does have issues with his ac not being as cold, but overall, no electrical, transmission, or other mechanical things he has not been able to fix. Needs an alignment and a few other things, but he is happy with it. I am happy keeping mine stock...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Welcome to the site, Tracey. Head over to our "New Member" section and post up an intro thread for you and your hubby. Pics of the rides are always welcome too!

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Whats up dude i was wondering what is the status on getting your WS6? Keep us informed & good luck with your search

Looked at quite a few on on line so far. Doing my research as to what's out there price-wise, what I should expect to pay and common problems. Since I'm in CT, with the lovely Winters we have here, I won't be pulling the trigger until Spring. April at the earliest.

Thread Information