Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

TERRIBLE GAS MILEAGE!! Really upset..

This is a discussion on TERRIBLE GAS MILEAGE!! Really upset.. within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; If its a bolt less then $2, if it's the bushing....depends on if you want stock (around $15) or poly ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

If its a bolt less then $2, if it's the bushing....depends on if you want stock (around $15) or poly (around $40).

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by flybird View Post
    Oh my bad. Houston tx. Wearher here is bipolar. Yesterday was 50 degrees today is aroumd 75
    The reason I ask is because IAT sensor tricker is bad with anything under 57*F u will probably loose gas mileage

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

I have no idea how to look for a bad bolt unless you mean rusted.. The bushing seems to be old and cracking. Kinda rotted out.

I did not know the iat tricker is bad for cold weather like tht

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the IAT tricker is just a bad mod in general......I would pull it off and watch your mileage for a couple days. Even if it doesn't fix your problem I would sell it on ebay and get some other sucker to buy it. And then he'll come here and we'll talk him into selling it to someone else.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what I would do first is make sure the car is good to go mechanically which it sounds like you've done for the most part. MAF and the front O2's pretty much are in charge of fueling so pay attention to those 2 areas. Check for leaks pre-O2 and vacuum leaks and what not. If mechanically the car is sound then you're probably looking at a tune issue due to the work done to the car. It would be nice if you had a scanner where you could log fuel trims and see what they're saying. That would tell you a lot. Also.....you need to get some long drives in there somewhere to see what mileage is on a drive. 1-3 mile drives is gonna give you the worst possible mileage you'll ever see. The car barely even gets up to temp in those distances.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the IAT tricker is just a bad mod in general......I would pull it off and watch your mileage for a couple days. Even if it doesn't fix your problem I would sell it on ebay and get some other sucker to buy it. And then he'll come here and we'll talk him into selling it to someone else.
    Agree

Navy Blue Metallic

I have no idea how to look for a bad bolt unless you mean rusted.. The bushing seems to be old and cracking. Kinda rotted out.

Here you go. This is looking from the rear to the front. The bolt had backed off and as you see it in the pic is how I found it. My TA was like free willy. I'm surprised it didn't do any damage.

The TA goes between that rubber claim shell and is held by a bolt that screws into the tranny.

Here is what the tranny bushing looks like

And this is what I upgraded to With the new TA I also got the relocation kit to take it off the tail cone of the tranny.

Navy Blue Metallic

what I would do first is make sure the car is good to go mechanically which it sounds like you've done for the most part. MAF and the front O2's pretty much are in charge of fueling so pay attention to those 2 areas. Check for leaks pre-O2 and vacuum leaks and what not. If mechanically the car is sound then you're probably looking at a tune issue due to the work done to the car. It would be nice if you had a scanner where you could log fuel trims and see what they're saying. That would tell you a lot. Also.....you need to get some long drives in there somewhere to see what mileage is on a drive. 1-3 mile drives is gonna give you the worst possible mileage you'll ever see. The car barely even gets up to temp in those distances.
    ^^
    Agree, Orion has never given me bad info (unless it was for picking NFL teams to root for)

I won't even drive my TA for that short of distance...

Your bad.....

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Haha I already pulled the chip off, so im good there. All o2 sensors have been replaced. Im thinking when I got the fuel regulator done, that they didnt set it completly right. Dyno tune seems great. Pull more HP and TQ and MPG with the dyno tune. Then I get to see what #'s im pulling.

(hopefully a bit more than 200hp considrring the full build) I will def keep an eye on my mpg now tht the chip is gone. I will clean the MAF sensor once again. I really dont drive anywhere far. Everything is close to me. Friends, work, school..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Haha I already pulled the chip off, so im good there. All o2 sensors have been replaced. Im thinking when I got the fuel regulator done, that they didnt set it completly right. Dyno tune seems great. Pull more HP and TQ and MPG with the dyno tune. Then I get to see what #'s im pulling.

(hopefully a bit more than 200hp considrring the full build) I will def keep an eye on my mpg now tht the chip is gone. I will clean the MAF sensor once again. I really dont drive anywhere far. Everything is close to me. Friends, work, school..
    just a couple other things to be mindful of......if there's an exhaust leak in front of the O2's that will create a false lean causing the car to overfuel. Usually you'll get some excessive soot in the exhaust tips from that but if it's not real excessive there may not be much more than usual there. Have you checked your fuel pressure? That should address any regulator issues. Another thing is to pick who you have tune it carefully. You'll want a street and dyno tune if at all possible. Normally guys will just throw the car on the dyno and do some wot pulls and tune your spark and fuel to get the best numbers. That type of tune won't address your idle and part throttle fueling which is where it sounds like your problems are. Just ask questions prior to getting tuned and make them aware of the issue.

Personally.....I think taking the chip off was a huge step in the right direction so before doing anything see where your mpg's settle in at.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    ^^
    Agree, Orion has never given me bad info (unless it was for picking NFL teams to root for)

I won't even drive my TA for that short of distance...

Your bad.....
    Ron White said it best "You can't fix stupid."

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Thnx guys appriciate the help. My bird just likes alot of attention..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

they're like wives.....you can keep them somewhat quiet by throwing money and attention at them.
    SMWS6TA likes this.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Hahaha thats real good. Very nice.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

So, did I miss somewhere that you said most of your driving involves short trips, less than 3-4 miles? If so, then there is your answer. The engine won't ever get fully warmed up until after at least 4 miles, especially if you are doing stop n go city stuff.

What about this, have you checked odometer/speedometer accuracy with a GPS? Maybe it is not correct, making you think you are getting bad MPG. You'd need to drive on the highway at least 10 miles, reset your trip meter and GPS at the same time then go.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Daily I drive 8-10 miles a day.

The way I calculated this was by filling the gas tank to FULL. then I drove till I hit 150 miles. I FULLY FILLED my car back to full. (the trigger on the handle automatically stops when full) I put 11 gallons back into my car.

So 150 miles / 11 gallons = 13.63 mpg

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

The reason I did it this way is bc its most accurate and ive noticed my gas guage sometimes dnt know where its supposed to be. (fuel sending unit)

Navy Blue Metallic

was this done all city, all hwy or combo?

Depending on your answer it could explain why so low.

In my TA City I get around 16-18 mpg. (sometimes lower, depends on how heavy my foot is on the gas pedal and what gear I cruise in.)
    a mix of city/hwy I get between 17-24 mpg - it really depends on the ratio of city vs hwy
    All hwy I can get 26-30 mpg.

I have a 14 gal tank so I have to figure out my mileage every time I drive. I also don't let it get below 1/4 of a tank if I can, every once in a while it happens but no lower then a 1/8.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    was this done all city, all hwy or combo?

Depending on your answer it could explain why so low.

In my TA City I get around 16-18 mpg. (sometimes lower, depends on how heavy my foot is on the gas pedal and what gear I cruise in.)
    a mix of city/hwy I get between 17-24 mpg - it really depends on the ratio of city vs hwy
    All hwy I can get 26-30 mpg.

I have a 14 gal tank so I have to figure out my mileage every time I drive. I also don't let it get below 1/4 of a tank if I can, every once in a while it happens but no lower then a 1/8.
    All city.. (well suburb) Never on the highway. I go into overdrive as much as possible. Just have to go over 45mph for some reason to get into over drive. Mostly I have seen ppl say its bc i am drivng very few miles a day. So i can see how i am getting bad mpg.

Navy Blue Metallic

Yep...you need to take out on the hwy over the weekend and let it run for a bit. Go on a short trip like an hr away then back.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information