Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T/A vs WS6

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

T/A vs WS6

Okay...from as my knowledge goes...does the regular Trans Am have the same exact engine specs as the WS6? Im looking at a black '02 Trans Am..non WS6..doesnt have the ram air hood and is an auto.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i had an 02 ta and the advertised hp was 300 the ram air i think was 325 and the TA auto had 2.73 rears where as the ram air auto had 3.23 and of course the ws6 is the suspension package.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    i had an 02 ta and the advertised hp was 300 the ram air i think was 325 and the TA auto had 2.73 rears where as the ram air auto had 3.23 and of course the ws6 is the suspension package.
    i think that's all true except for the gearing i own a 2000 trans am (non ws5) and my car came with the performance axle 3.23 gears.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

my 02 came with 2.73s i was only turning 16 or 17 rpms @ 70 mph.i was trying to get a ram air 2 yrs ago when i found my ta close to home and a good price.so i think in 02 susp gears and hp were the diff between the two

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Trans Am's featured the 2.73 rear axle ratio stock while the WS6 performance package featured the 3.42 rear axle ratio. The 3.23 was a Trans Am option for more performance. The WS6 package was just and option for the base Trans Am that upgraded the car with Ram Air induction, better flowing exhaust system, 3.42 rear gears with the auburn limited slip differential, and a stiffer performance suspension.

Chances are if its an '02 it may have one of the LS6 block LS1 motors with the LS6 intake manifold, a simple check for this would be to look at the motor and see if there is an EGR tube sticking out of the manifold. If there is, its an LS1 block and intake, if not, you've got the better LS6 block and intake. GM did this in '01 and '02 by randomly placing LS6 block motors in F-Bodies. Run a build sheet on the VIN # for a list of all options and standard equipment on the vehicle your looking to buy. If it sounds good on mileage, price, mechanical function, and overall appearance. Buy it.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i thought the 02 ram air was 3.23 auto 3.42 m6. the number on the back drivers side of the motor will tell if it has a ls6 intake.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Vertibird54 View Post
    Trans Am's featured the 2.73 rear axle ratio stock while the WS6 performance package featured the 3.42 rear axle ratio. The 3.23 was a Trans Am option for more performance. The WS6 package was just and option for the base Trans Am that upgraded the car with Ram Air induction, better flowing exhaust system, 3.42 rear gears with the auburn limited slip differential, and a stiffer performance suspension.
    Clarification. ALL M6 cars came w/ 3.42 posi rears, didn't matter if it was WS6, SS or not. A4 cars came w/ 2.73 posi standard w/ 3.23 optional. WS6s w/ A4 required the 3.23 posi as a "mandatory option", so no WS6s will have a 2.73. You could NOT get a 3.42 w/ an A4.

Also, LS1 HP ratings in f-bods is 305 (non SS/WS6) / 320 (SS/WS6) in '98-'00, and increased to 310 (non SS/WS6) / 325 (SS/WS6) in '01-'02. If your SS had a few other SLP options, the HP ratings may be higher. '99-'00 Firehawks were rated 327, can't remember ratings after that. There were probably SLP options on Hawks that would bump thier ratings higher as well.
    Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 08-01-2007 at 03:49 AM.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Quote Originally Posted by Vertibird54 View Post

Chances are if its an '02 it may have one of the LS6 block LS1 motors with the LS6 intake manifold, a simple check for this would be to look at the motor and see if there is an EGR tube sticking out of the manifold. If there is, its an LS1 block and intake, if not, you've got the better LS6 block and intake. GM did this in '01 and '02 by randomly placing LS6 block motors in F-Bodies. Run a build sheet on the VIN # for a list of all options and standard equipment on the vehicle your looking to buy. If it sounds good on mileage, price, mechanical function, and overall appearance. Buy it.
    Somebody else clarified the gearing, let me clarify the "LS6 intake or block" thing. All 02's have the LS6-style intake, so the check mentioned above won't work. *Some* 02's have the LS6-style block, but the only sure way to check this (that I've heard) is to look for the casting number on the back of the block. I've heard that ~25% of 02's got the LS6 block...

Bottom line is the TA & the WS6 have the same engine. The WS6 has a slightly larger opening to the airbox, and a slightly better flowing catback...
    - 2002 Trans Am WS6 -
    - SOM - Custom HP Evos - Thunder Racing boltons & cam - LS1Edit tuning -
    - BMR suspension - LG Motorsports Brakes - custom interior - C5 mirrors - Webshots Pics

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Will the diffference in the 2.73 and the 3.23 make a huge difference? What about suspension and the "extra 15 HP". Will that make a big difference? If you were to take a non WS6 A4 and a WS6 A4 and put them in a race...who would win..and why? The reason for me asking this is because im looking at a non WS6 t/a right now...and I just want to make sure I will be happy with what I get.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by white99x View Post
    Will the diffference in the 2.73 and the 3.23 make a huge difference? What about suspension and the "extra 15 HP". Will that make a big difference? If you were to take a non WS6 A4 and a WS6 A4 and put them in a race...who would win..and why? The reason for me asking this is because im looking at a non WS6 t/a right now...and I just want to make sure I will be happy with what I get.
    WS6's are no faster and all LS1 engines make approx. the same power.
    But if your dead set on getting a WS6 then wait for the right car
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Being only 18 years old....lol...a WS6 would probably kill me on insurance..thats kind of why I was wondering if I would get the same performance as I would with a WS6...auto doesnt really matter to me..just the fact of having a trans-am would be cool..but I want it to look attractive to the outside views as well.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Being only 18 years old....lol...a WS6 would probably kill me on insurance..thats kind of why I was wondering if I would get the same performance as I would with a WS6...auto doesnt really matter to me..just the fact of having a trans-am would be cool..but I want it to look attractive to the outside views as well.
    The Car is what you make it.
    Everybody has different tastes. Look at my car it started out as a lowly base Formula M6 Hardtop. Cause thats what I wanted, and that's how I ordered it.
    It's still the same car but has a few esthetic changes R/A Hood, Blackbird stripes, 18'' wheels, Exhaust, Lid, etc etc...
    My point is buy it and personalize it to your tastes.
    And don't be afraid to be Different.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

All the Ls1 cars made the same power, no matter camaro, ss, ws6 regualr T/A or whatever the only difference in power is the intake manifold the 01 and 02 had the ls6 and 98-2000 had the ls1, not much of a difference, i have taken atleast 4 02 ws6s with my 2000 non ws6 T/A, as for the ws6 haveing better exhaust, just get a catback system and you have better exhaust than a ws6.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    The Car is what you make it.
    Everybody has different tastes. Look at my car it started out as a lowly base Formula M6 Hardtop. Cause thats what I wanted, and that's how I ordered it.
    It's still the same car but has a few esthetic changes R/A Hood, Blackbird stripes, 18'' wheels, Exhaust, Lid, etc etc...
    My point is buy it and personalize it to your tastes.
    And don't be afraid to be Different.
    Thanks man..nice of you to tell me that because I was looking at your car and was like dayum thats nice lol..i probably will just go with a regular t/a..not only that but i like the sleeper look

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Thanks man..nice of you to tell me that because I was looking at your car and was like dayum thats nice lol..i probably will just go with a regular t/a..not only that but i like the sleeper look
    Thats the route I went, the WS6's around here push high dollar. I managed to pick up my '99 with 36K miles for $14K. That way I had some cash left over to spend on mods.

If you like the sleeper look you could also look into a firehawk hood as one of your first mods which looks more sleeper and better than just the stocker. Make sure its a geniune SLP hood tho because otherwise it won't fit as nicely as some of the other replicas.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Im not gonna lie i love the ws6 hood, i hope to get one soon, i wont ever put the ws6 symbol on my car but i will glady get the hood, its just when i saw the car i had to have it, same color as the 96 formula i was my favorite sports car color not to mention it was a 2000 T/A red with black leather, 48,000 miles on it and i got them down to 10700 for the car and 12700 for the car and 3 year extended warrenty. Had money left over i put long tubes, catback, short shifter, lid, it came lowered and a clutch and now i have smoked a couple 02 ws6s infact all of the stock 02s ive raced i have beaten.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

thats awesome man...does anybody know if its possible to beat an M6 with an A4 with rearend and a stall possibly?

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Automatics are better from off the line more consistant times, the m6 better from a drop because you can pick your gear, m6 also better on gas, i have beaten many automatics even from a dig with my m6, however an auto with a stall is a beast. But i love the m6. Also remeber that for a street car and auto usually goes with 3.73 rear end gears otherwise drivability goes out the window while a m6 can go with 4.10 and still be street drivable.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

I like my 3.23 ratio personally. I get around 18-20 mpg with city driving.

Thread Information