delinquent543

t-top troubles...

So me and a friend were driving down the highway the other night... it was nice out so we were driving with the tops off. Eventually it got cold, so we put htem back on. My friend however forgets to put hte latch thing in the lock position on his side. I bet you can see where this is going... Well, anyway i was going about 80 or so on the highway and all of a sudden a loud woosh and a blast of cold air. The top goes flying off and lands behind us, smashing completely on the road. I ordered a replacement and it came in the mail today... Anything similar happen to anyone here, or am i the lucky one.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

dude, was it latched down or not? if it wasn't latched down-your friend owes you 250$ if it was latched, then we have to talk, b/c it happened to BOTH of mine, and i know why

Does the lock even help?

Black Beast 1 badblack transam 01's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by _JB_
    Does the lock even help?
    Not really all the lock is really there for is to keep people from stealing your T-tops when u leave your window cracked or stupidly leave your door unlocked. Otherwise the lock is useless. T-tops are worth about 300 dollars a side somewhere around there and people are stupid enough to try to take them.

2 is better than 1!!! noblesramair's Avatar

sunset orange
    2002 pontiac trans am WS6

never happened to me before but i had a friend (chick) that had a monte carlo SS you know the 80s style. Anyway she forgot to lock em down and sure enough on the highway they both went flying!!! And if youve ever seen those t tops before you know they are fricken huge!

2002 Trans Am CE

Thanks for the link JB. I'll add that check to my list of things to do tomorrow

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Man that sucks. That is why when I pput mine in I am the one that does it and I lock them as soon as there back in. No one to blame but me then.

Black Beast 1 badblack transam 01's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by _JB_
    When I said to keep people from stealing them I did mean that it would keep the latch shut. The pin thing sucks big ass. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 badblack transam 01
    When I said to keep people from stealing them I did mean that it would keep the latch shut. The pin thing sucks big ass. Good luck.
    I know what you ment. I just remembered that I had saved that link for future threads like this.

See signature.

in my 91 i was putting them back on and friends wre distracting me and bam didnt latch it!!!

going on the highway and woosh! flew up and off in the air and landed in the medium no cars around, man that would of been a mess. no i pay even more attention to them, before i leave i push up on the edges to make sure i got them back on and latched.

i found one for 25 bucks in decent shape

Pontiac Firebird's: 91 Formula 350, 01 Trans Am WS6, Suzuki's: 09 SX4 Crossover, GSX-R's: 06 600 & 07 1K.
    F-Quick Garage & Car Domain

If one ever comes loose and flies off always go back and get it - so you can transfer the keyed lock cyl to the new one.

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Two years ago at Super Chevy Show out at the Texas Motorplex, guy was running down the track and had apprently forgot to latch one of the tops on his 02' 35th SS and it flew off at about half track, hell of a site. I think I have the video still, if I do I will try and post it up for you guys to see.--Tony

Erik
    THAT SUCKS now il think twice before leting my friend lach them in.

NBM
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by delinquent543
    So me and a friend were driving down the highway the other night... it was nice out so we were driving with the tops off. Eventually it got cold, so we put htem back on. My friend however forgets to put hte latch thing in the lock position on his side. I bet you can see where this is going... Well, anyway i was going about 80 or so on the highway and all of a sudden a loud woosh and a blast of cold air. The top goes flying off and lands behind us, smashing completely on the road. I ordered a replacement and it came in the mail today... Anything similar happen to anyone here, or am i the lucky one.
    i had that happen to me bout a year ago....but it was me that forgot to latch it...stayed up late one night gettin ready for a show and i was cleanin the car and i didn't latch it back up....goin down the hwy doin bout 75 (with a group of cars) and somethin caught my eye...i looked over and saw that my passenger t-top was angled up in the air...i never been in this situation before so i didn't know what to do...first thing that came to my mind was "hey lets see if i can latch it back in"...so i let go of the steerin wheel and reach over and grab on to the handle to the t-top and usin the other hand to roll the window down a little...drivin with the leg...as soon as i rolled the window down...the wind just jerked it out of my hand...i was able to save the t-top shade though...i pulled over on the side of the hwy and ran back and saw that it busted to peices....one of the saddest days i ever had

mcG
    on my 82 t/a, the latches were a pain to use...one time i was driving down the highway, it came off but i didnt notice till i got home since the windows were already down. i went back to try and find it, and lucky enough for me it was laying unharmed on somebody's lawn.

Thread Information