Red
    1997 Firebird M5

T/A stock intake on a V6?

I sold my 1994 Trans Am because the transmission blew for the second time now, so I bought a 1997 Firebird to drive around for 6 months or so until I have enough money to afford a newer model Trans Am. But anyways, I still have the stock intake from my Trans Am and was wondering if it would fit on a V6? The reason I ask is because the person I bought the Firebird from put a Fram Airhog intake on it which just from looking at it, I can tell its very restrictive and even more restrictive than the intake that was on it before. Thanks for any help!

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

well a intake from a v8 cant fit on a v6 because it has 2 more air inlets for cylinders that would need to be used or plugged. probably wouldnt fit anyway.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by damianj03 View Post
    well a intake from a v8 cant fit on a v6 because it has 2 more air inlets for cylinders that would need to be used or plugged. probably wouldnt fit anyway.
    I don't think the OP is talking about Intake Manifold but the air inlet track before the TB.

Sent from Motorola ATRIX 4G on Tapatalk
    2000 T/A-DMH Cutout, SLP Cold Air kit, FTRA/SLP Upgrade, SLP Bilstein, LT1 Eibach ProKit, Kuhmo PA31 Tires ,SLP Fan Switch, UMI Double Adj PHB w/ Roto-Joints, UMI LCARB, Strano 35/22mm Sway Bars , Magnecor KV85 Wires, Hurst Shifter, Lou's Short Stick.

Red
    1997 Firebird M5

Im talking about the actual intake including the filter

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Worth trying,throttle body size may be different but it could be made to fit.
    2007 Corvette...stock...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You can make it work.

You may have to get some pieces from the hardware store but you should be able to make it work.

The 96-02 3800-II throttle body on F-body has an 80-85mm (outside diameter) air inlet @ the front so you'll need a coupling or 2 in the 4" range and a connector pipe.

By 1999 3800-II's were changed to the LS1 "type" air box and lid with the air lid outlet oval shaped and slightly favoring the drivers side.

The LS1 cars use a center outlet on their lids and the port is round but the offset on the v6 TB is'nt that drastic.

You should be able to overcome the oddity with a little work.

To add: The air outlet on the LS1 lid is smaller than the air inlet on the 3800-II TB so you'll likely get a noticable thrushing sound as air is drawn past the smaller LS1 style opening in the lid.
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-27-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    1997 Firebird M5

I take delivery for the car in a couple hours so i'll give it a shot and let you guys know how it goes

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-TransAm View Post
    I take delivery for the car in a couple hours so i'll give it a shot and let you guys know how it goes
    Cool! Now I must say that if you're going to use the ram Air style box and lid it will likely not clear the standard hood on the v6 car as the ram air box and lid are taller.

However if it's the lower style lid and box it should work out fine with some coupling and pipe work.

Thread Information