Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

switch from K&N CAI to lid

Like it says guys, i baught my car and it has the K&N CAI not only does it look like crap i really dont think its helping the car any, i have recharged the filter twice it always looks dirty to me very fast. so my question is, if i remove the K&N is it a simple change over to the slp or other brand lid? i have a 2000 trans am non ws6 so i dont have the ram air hood. this could be a pretty dumb question but since i dont have th ram air hood, does that mean i cant get the slp ram air lid? i just got the car a few weeks ago, dont kill me over dumb questions haha i gotta start somewhere!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

A lid is a lid. You don't have to have a WS6 hood for one to work.

Is the K&N CAI the type that gets the air down low? I've read here many times that this style really gets the filter dirty fast. Also, it has been proven here many times that the K&N filter, for our set-up, doesn't give us any more HP. A clean quality paper air filter does just as well.

All the lids elimiate the hemholtz chambers, improving airflow into the TB. As long as you have the stock lower airbox (which is also the upper radiator support) you should be fine.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ditching the K&N is a good idea. You should really get a can of CRC Spray MAF Cleaner, remove your MAF from the car and follow the instructions on the can. The oil from the K&N has probably coated your MAF wires and dirt has adhered to them. This has the effect of insulating the wires and results in the MAF sending incorrect airflow readings to the PCM. Also, do not alter your MAF in any way -- do not descreen, deblade or port it.

As far as filters go, a dry nanofiber filter media such as the Amsoil Ea air filter is the best way to go. A quality paper filter is also good. The oiled cotton gauze filters, such as K&N, simply allow way too much dirt to pass into your engine.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    A lid is a lid. You don't have to have a WS6 hood for one to work.

Is the K&N CAI the type that gets the air down low? I've read here many times that this style really gets the filter dirty fast. Also, it has been proven here many times that the K&N filter, for our set-up, doesn't give us any more HP. A clean quality paper air filter does just as well.

All the lids elimiate the hemholtz chambers, improving airflow into the TB. As long as you have the stock lower airbox (which is also the upper radiator support) you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Ditching the K&N is a good idea. You should really get a can of CRC Spray MAF Cleaner, remove your MAF from the car and follow the instructions on the can. The oil from the K&N has probably coated your MAF wires and dirt has adhered to them. This has the effect of insulating the wires and results in the MAF sending incorrect airflow readings to the PCM. Also, do not alter your MAF in any way -- do not descreen, deblade or port it.

As far as filters go, a dry nanofiber filter media such as the Amsoil Ea air filter is the best way to go. A quality paper filter is also good. The oiled cotton gauze filters, such as K&N, simply allow way too much dirt to pass into your engine.
    This.

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

this K&N sits ontop on the radiator it has a metal sheet under it which i believe is supposed to be blocking hot air from coming in? ill have to take the whole thing off and see if i can just drop the lid in there, ill also get on cleaning the MAF asap, im thinking between the horrible K&N and prob a dirty MAF is the reason why my car feels like it has power cuts at some rpm's. the power cuts a little then comes back its weird.

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

edited post, bad link
    Last edited by Yourbeat; 05-10-2012 at 11:44 PM.

LPM
    2000 Z28

You are going to need to pick up an upper radiator support/lower air box to replace that metal plate that was under your k&n intake. I switched from a k&n to a lid myself

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

yayyy, more money spent on something that shouldnt have been there in the first place, oh well you gotta pay to play. thanks for the info though.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^at least you didn't buy a programmer for you PCM. Those are a waste of $$$ also.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I like my Blackwing setup. JMO
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Paper filter ftw...works fine on my 427 LS3

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i havnt been able to find the upper rad support/lower airbox yet though anyone know where i can find it?

Navy Blue
    Chevrolet Camaro SS

I can get u an upper radiator cover and lid ... I'm interested!!! Pics of the actual intake

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

do you wanna PM me your cell # can take pics tomorrow and text them to you or email which ever you prefer. the filter looks new but the metal plate thing under it looks like its seen better days. i cleaned my throttle body and MAF today it feels like the cars running much better but i still think i wanna put the lid in.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Is your exhaust mostly stock? If so, you will hear the intake a bit louder when you put on a lid. Your upper lid now still has the (hemholtz resonater) chambers on each side?

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

There's a flat metal plate that goes across the top of my radiator and the k&n is a rectangle shape with gray baffled going into my intake mani. As far as exhaust all it has is a high flow muffler.

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

this is the actual K&N CAI on my car.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You can use the 98-2002 3800-II f-body lower air box/rad support, but you'll need an ls1 style lid.

The 3800-II from those years uses an offset lid that favors the drivers side, but again the factory lower box/rad supports are the same,

which you should be able to find pretty easily in an junk yard.

If you want to go that route that is,,, FWI both the LS1 and afore mentioned 3800s' also use identical drop-in filters.

A Ramair box will prolly not work as the are taller and a non-ramair hood may not close over it.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Yourbeats setup looks like it would flow similar to a lidded car. Does his air enter from under the airfilter, or thru the hood opening?

Either way, if I were him I'd rather have a stock set-up with a lid.

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i dont think much air gets in through the hood opening its blocked by the bump where the latch locks in and all. im guessing it just gets air from under the car blowing up into the engine bay. i wish i could get air to flow right through the hood but people say the rain and all will get into the intake.

Thread Information