Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

suspension or exhaust

I have recently come into a little money from selling some stuff, about 400, and i decided to finally buy myself something. I can't decide between some suspension components like sfc's, trailing arms, panhard bar, and or strut tower or a catback system. I was looking at getting the magnaflow cause it is in my price range and i hear it sounds good and flows well, but i can't decide what will help me with performance more. I know the ls1 has got a ton of power and the chassis components will make a difference in the seat of my pants. The exhaust does have the benefit of freeing up more power and sounding better but would it be better use of the money to set a foundation for more power later on and is the driving experience worth not getting an exhaust? I welcome any input, thanks guys

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

IMO the exhaust is mostly an appearance/sound mod. The 6 or 7 rwhp you get from it won't be noticeable on the street.

I would probably go with the SFC's and a set of swaybars. I had just read a rave review of the Strano 35mm front swaybar on LS1Tech earlier today, sounds like a good mod for the money.

Strut tower brace is more of an appearance mod too, if you ask me. Unless you see alot of road course time or autocross, that's probably not really going to do you much good.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

what about panhard or lower control arms? I heard that going with an aftermarket sway bar is detrimental to launching. Also what about aftermarket torque arm? thanks

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I started on my suspension before my exhaust and in my opinion it was a great idea. I have SFCs which not only helps the car launch but it also keeps the body from twisting and gets rid of alot of the squeaks in the the car and I also have lower control arms and a panhard bar and i can definately tell the difference in the way the car launches. HP is no good if you cant get the car to launch and hook good.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

thanks raynor, i was taking a look at the LCA's and it looks like all they are is stockies that are boxed, anyone ever consider just boxing them themselves or is there something i am missing?

White
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    ...I can't decide between some suspension components...
    I'm having the same debate with myself...

(it's strange debating myself)

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I dont know about boxing them but you are still dealing with with rubber bushings instead of polyutherane. If you go with polyutherane you will have less deflection then the rubber ones. GM High-Tech performance or Pontiac High Performance (can not remember which left them in my office at work) had a article in this months issue about the BMR boxed LCAs that they had good results with. Other option is something like I have which is an adjustable tubular LCA which comes in handy once you start to mod the cars suspension and rear end setup, the only down side to these are that they have a rod end on them and are noisier when going over bumps. Also my LCAs where rubbing against something everytime I drove over a bump once I put the SFCs on and going to the tubular style solved this problem.

Thread Information