Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

supercharger or new motor

This is a discussion on supercharger or new motor within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; If you have the money Blower > H/C...

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

If you have the money Blower > H/C

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Only you can decide what you want to do. Me, I like dependable with allot of HP. So, what I am doing is upgrading my intake and exhaust of my LS-1. Then I will stop until I need a new motor. In the mean time, I will upgrade my rearend, tranny and suspension. When my LS-1 dies, I am going for the LS-7 conversion....505 hp, without having to worry about seals, rods...yadda, yadda, yadda....because it is a stock motor, meant to be a daily driver.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by muteki View Post
    Only you can decide what you want to do. Me, I like dependable with allot of HP. So, what I am doing is upgrading my intake and exhaust of my LS-1. Then I will stop until I need a new motor. In the mean time, I will upgrade my rearend, tranny and suspension. When my LS-1 dies, I am going for the LS-7 conversion....505 hp, without having to worry about seals, rods...yadda, yadda, yadda....because it is a stock motor, meant to be a daily driver.
    my plans^ but i'm just going to drive my stock ls1 til i can afford to do more, if i do any mods i want them to be able to swap over to my ls7 for $ saving purposes,

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

LOL at those talking about LS7 swaps....
    Simply not worth the cost...unless you have a nice fat checking account just wanting drained.

My motor cost $4K less than an LS7...and makes roughly 130-140 more HP at the flywheel.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    1999 Camaro SS

I say build a motor for FORCED INDUCTION!

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

buy some forged internals for your current motor thats in the car now, its not really all the expensive. get an ls6 intake, ls6 heads, full exhaust, (amoung other odds and ends) and put a procharger on it. With a D1 kit you can make close if now 650whp. your forged ls1 will handle that with easeeee. anyone who says it wont and its not dependable is not very well informed. be prepared though, if you go this route (or any high hp route), you will find the weak points in your drivetrain from the motor back..

IMO 7k aint enough for a forged motor and FI though, itll be cutting it close.
    Last edited by Ryans99LS1; 10-29-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    LOL at those talking about LS7 swaps....
    Simply not worth the cost...unless you have a nice fat checking account just wanting drained.

My motor cost $4K less than an LS7...and makes roughly 130-140 more HP at the flywheel.
    The reason I am going that route is because I live on a small tropical island and do not have an awesome tuner on island, much less a builder. Where I live it is more financially feasible to stick with a GM stock motor, where I can have it worked on by the GM dealer if I have issues that I can't figure out. Besides, 600+ Hp is more than I need for a daily driver. If i was going to race it, then I would probably do a custom build.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

good point muteki. i get it now. i dig ryan99s idea though... i think that's my plan for now. ls6 intake, heads, forged pistons, hardened rods, new springs and lifters... then SUPERCHARGER!

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    buy some forged internals for your current motor thats in the car now, its not really all the expensive. get an ls6 intake, ls6 heads, full exhaust, (amoung other odds and ends) and put a procharger on it. With a D1 kit you can make close if now 650whp. your forged ls1 will handle that with easeeee. anyone who says it wont and its not dependable is not very well informed. be prepared though, if you go this route (or any high hp route), you will find the weak points in your drivetrain from the motor back..

IMO 7k aint enough for a forged motor and FI though, itll be cutting it close.
    I say if you do this do it right and dont cut costs to get it all done. A low comp with a built for boost valve train can still put down 400whp, more than the stock ls2 or stock ls3 swap. Then when you have more money get a good FI setup and bigger fuel system and put down 600-650whp

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I say if you do this do it right and dont cut costs to get it all done. A low comp with a built for boost valve train can still put down 400whp, more than the stock ls2 or stock ls3 swap. Then when you have more money get a good FI setup and bigger fuel system and put down 600-650whp
    +1 you need to research this and get everything setup right BEFORE that supercharger goes on, that should be pretty much the last thing. Build your motor, upgrade your fuel system to support your power goal, make sure your drivetrain is capable of handling the power youre about to throw at it ( or if your like me, run it till breaks.. aka the rear end).

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by muteki View Post
    The reason I am going that route is because I live on a small tropical island and do not have an awesome tuner on island, much less a builder. Where I live it is more financially feasible to stick with a GM stock motor, where I can have it worked on by the GM dealer if I have issues that I can't figure out. Besides, 600+ Hp is more than I need for a daily driver. If i was going to race it, then I would probably do a custom build.
    You will still be needing a tune, but I understand the location point you make.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pipes_ta View Post
    i have 70000 miles for the money should i get a procharger or a new ls2 ls3 crate motor
    Pipes, I would be wary at supercharging a motor with that many miles on it. Charging a motor puts a whole lot more stress on the bottom end than the original motor was designed to handle, and depending on the maintenance performed during those 70K miles, I would really weigh out my options and then weigh them out again. My '98 was ordered new from the factory and I changed the oil religiously every 3 to 5K miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic all the way to 152K miles and the engine was still just as strong as old as it was. I don't think I would have put a supercharger on it though, that would have been ridiculous. Depending on the maintenance service performed on your vehicle, would determine whether or not I would install a charger or not. I would tend to be swayed on the "not" side more than the other, but that's just me.....

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    You will still be needing a tune, but I understand the location point you make.
    Correct, but the tune would be something the dealer could handle...worst case senerio.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    Pipes, I would be wary at supercharging a motor with that many miles on it. Charging a motor puts a whole lot more stress on the bottom end than the original motor was designed to handle, and depending on the maintenance performed during those 70K miles, I would really weigh out my options and then weigh them out again. My '98 was ordered new from the factory and I changed the oil religiously every 3 to 5K miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic all the way to 152K miles and the engine was still just as strong as old as it was. I don't think I would have put a supercharger on it though, that would have been ridiculous. Depending on the maintenance service performed on your vehicle, would determine whether or not I would install a charger or not. I would tend to be swayed on the "not" side more than the other, but that's just me.....
    if its just as stong as ever then whats there to be afraid of? my formula has 190k on it still runs low 13's. i trust that motor. but if he plans on forging it then he really has nothing to worry about.. as long as he does the proper forge/rebuild(mainly new bearings). your block will be fine.
    99 TA-T56 swapped, Lid, TB Bypass, LS6 Intake, !EGR, !AIR, Custom Cam, Mids, O/R-Y, 3:73s, Cutout, Flowmaster.
    A4 numbers w/ mids only 320RWHP 333RWTQ
    Cam numbers and track times soon.

98 NBM Hardtop Formula- Bone stock, A4, 187,000 miles
    13.8@ 103 2.1 60' 1357 DA

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Please don't post direct links to non sponsors

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by SSmokin99 View Post
    I say build a motor for FORCED INDUCTION!
    thats a sex move....

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    if its just as stong as ever then whats there to be afraid of? my formula has 190k on it still runs low 13's. i trust that motor. but if he plans on forging it then he really has nothing to worry about.. as long as he does the proper forge/rebuild(mainly new bearings). your block will be fine.
    So, you think he should rebuild(replace bearings) before installing forced induction on it, just like I do.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    thats a sex move....
    This comment belongs on the "almost anything goes" board. Sex has nothing to do with supercharging an engine or a new motor.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    This comment belongs on the "almost anything goes" board. Sex has nothing to do with supercharging an engine or a new motor.
    Why not i have sex with all the engines i built, N/A, or turbo.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

If it was me I would go with the lq9, get them for a really good price and build it to your specs as a crate motor from texas speed. Plus its an iron block and push mucho boost than you can on a forged ls1 cause of the sleeves in the block and gasket. Then just have a beast of a naturally aspirated motor till I saved up money for a twin turbo set up, and run anywhere from 18 to 28 psi at the most. And the last time I checked I dont run my car on a track everyday of the week, and the times I would I would just be kicked the rear end out every corner lol just screwing around. Just my opinion but I originally thought about getting a maggie supercharger for the ls1 but the cost of it is worthless, cause you could buy a lq9 for cheaper than buying the maggie, then you have to thinking about building the ls1 with forged and then dyno'ing and tuning, and expecially if you cant do it yourself paying someone the money to do it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information