Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

stuck on side of road

HELP, on side of road.
    Car won't start. T/A M6

Battery good

Turn key nothing changed fuses nothing.

Think its the security system or neatural saftey switch. Any ideas?

Need answers quickly.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

clean off the little chip thats on your key. it may be dirty and not making good connection inside the ignition. only thing i can think of right off

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    clean off the little chip thats on your key. it may be dirty and not making good connection inside the ignition. only thing i can think of right off
    i was about to say the same thing. my friends ws6 did the same thing a lil while back.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Navy Blue Metallic

Would a dead battery be responsible?

I've been having probs with my alternator lately and I think it might have finally died.

I was able to start the car by connecting to the red post next to the fuse box, however it idle so high (3500-4000rpm) I was afraid to drive it home. I hope I haven't shorted something else out.

I'll brb, need to pick up kids, will check if any more inputs after I get back.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Sounds like alt died and you were driving on battery juice only.. Unfortunately if you did'nt notice it right away your battery may now be dead.. Prolly need both now batt, and alt.. That sucks man hope you get her going soon. Good luck.. Your rpms came up because the computer was trying to "excite" the alt @ start up so it would charge your system with enough current to maintain vital (run) voltage.. When it detected alt current was none exsistant it switched to "limp" mode so it would run but not good..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-06-2010 at 05:53 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Sounds like alt died and you were driving on battery juice only.. Unfortunately if you did'nt notice it right away your battery may now be dead.. Prolly need both now batt, and alt.. That sucks man hope you get her going soon. Good luck.. Your rpms came up because the computer was trying to "excite" the alt @ start up so it would charge your system with enough current to maintain vital (run) voltage.. When it detected alt current was none exsistant it switched to "limp" mode so it would run but not good..
    Thx for info, I'll switch battery out in morning. If it works I'll let you guys know.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Thx for info, I'll switch battery out in morning. If it works I'll let you guys know.
    Ps. (On batt only) it will still only run as long as there's battery juice that's sufficiant to sustain basic systems.. Then it will die again...

Navy Blue Metallic

Heading over there in a few. As long as the new battery get's me home I'm fine. (1hr drive). Gotta go...

NBM
    2002 WS6

i hope youre right about the battery. i had a z28 that did the same thing and it turned out it was the little wire INSIDE the steering colum that disingages the security when the key is inserted. what a pain in the ass that was to fix!

02 WS6 M6
    pasetter LTs,ORY,magnaflow muffler,ported tb and maf,dynotuned
    362 RWHP, 376 RWTQ stock H/C
    plus all the free mods

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Ps. (On batt only) it will still only run as long as there's battery juice that's sufficiant to sustain basic systems.. Then it will die again...
    Smittro, if you where closer I'd buy you a case of beer. Changed battery, got it home. Found the culprit, A hose from the power steering is leaking bad and has covered the alternator . No doubt it shorted it and drained the battery till it was dead.

Thx

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Smittro, if you where closer I'd buy you a case of beer. Changed battery, got it home. Found the culprit, A hose from the power steering is leaking bad and has covered the alternator . No doubt it shorted it and drained the battery till it was dead.

Thx
    I'll have one for you anyway.. Glad you got her figured out..

Navy Blue Metallic

Damn what a mess; it's like it bleeding out of a jugular. The K member has a puddle on and I see that it's sprayed all over my LT's and ORY.

To my amazement, I still have some fluid in the reserve and power steering pump.

From my experience when the pump or R/P goes it just quits. Steering is almost impossible. Never seen a leak like this.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Damn what a mess; it's like it bleeding out of a jugular. The K member has a puddle on and I see that it's sprayed all over my LT's and ORY.

To my amazement, I still have some fluid in the reserve and power steering pump.

From my experience when the pump or R/P goes it just quits. Steering is almost impossible. Never seen a leak like this.
    Well I'm gonna go ahead and thank you too.. After reading your posts I desided to have a look under mine @ all my lower hoses.. This enabled me to discover that one of my trans cooler lines has begun to have a minor leak where the factory crimped fittings connect the flexible hose to the hard line.. Thanks again man..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-08-2010 at 07:00 AM.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

I had the same problem when I bought the car- high pressure side had two pin holes in it and when I would turn it would spray. Drove me nuts until I finally had someone turn the wheel while I was looking at the hose!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Be glad it didn't catch fire. When I had my 66 Charger the pressure side power steering hose burst and sprayed fluid all over the exhaust manifold. White smoke started coming out from under the hood. Pulled it over, popped the hood and FLAMES! Good thing I had a fire extinguisher in the car. Scorched a few things (like paint) but it was only minor. Made for a good excuse to repaint the whole car.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    I had the same problem when I bought the car- high pressure side had two pin holes in it and when I would turn it would spray. Drove me nuts until I finally had someone turn the wheel while I was looking at the hose!
    I think this might be it because when it sits there I don't see any spray. I didn't have anyone to turn the wheels so I could find where it's leaking. Wife just called, my new high pressure hose arrived. Now I need a new alternator. $170 at OReilly's for new and $140 for rebuilt every where else. Damn they are expensive.

Also wife is giving me the I'm going to have to her to get this. I just threw down $1100 on SFC, STB, LS7 Clutch Kit, new Tune, and a new Airlid 3 weeks ago.

Red
    1998 WS6 Trans Am

had my power steering leak before which ended up with me getting new pump and everything then shortly after, my alternator died from the power steering leak that i had. I bought new alternator and installed that (SUCKED) and all is well now

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Thx
    that is what happened to me... we were both lucky our cars didn't catch on fire...

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

looks like enough of you guys had this issue to make a sticky?

Thread Information