Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue
    2001 trans am

story of my header install

Well today i orederd my headers. BBK Performance 1694 - BBK Full-Length Headers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

so to speed up the process i removed my stock exhuast, broke every bolt on the ball flanges, got a deep socket stuck on the cat flange "its still on there" broke 2 extensions from the amount of force i used to get the AIR system off, ended up just ripping it out after i unbolted it from the headers. Used a die grinder to cut that stupid clamp at the end of the y pipe. Here is the best part... i broke ONE of my MSD super high dollar fancy spark plug wires. AND on a related note to my first post of a ticking... the back cylinder which made the most noise the spark plug was barley in, on the opposite side a header bolt was broken, i removed it though. While removing the driver side manifold/cat i almost broke a plug in half so now its time to replace those...

My question is. this header package has a Y pipe with the o2 sensor holes yes? will it still throw codes without cats i plan on eventually getting them or else i will fail inspection, visually. What are the negative effects besides a SES light to no cats.

Black
    79 Trans Am

I feel your pain.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

To answer your question, yes you will still throw a code. Because I believe what happens is you will no longer have the rear o2 sensors along with not having cats. Thats how my system is. No cats and no rear o2's. I still have the front ones though. It will throw the SES lights but you can get a tune and that will take care of it.

blue
    2001 trans am

Well this y pipe actually has the rear 02 plugs. I had my tune done by frost but I don't think he removed the back 02 plugs

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

it will throw the codes because the rear O2's will not register a change from the pre cat O2's. Your best bet because of your inspections are one of 2 options:

1st - Delete the rear O2's but keep the rear ones hooked up that way it will "pass" inspection. Only problem with this is if your state does a full visual looking foe cats too.

2nd - Then you will need to get high flow cats. These will give the illusions of having a cat.

Also getting a Frost tune will eliminate the CEL that pops up for the air/egr codes. He removes them completely.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I only saw one set of o2's bungs in the picture. I know the pictures aren't always right, though. Most headers only have one set. But even if it has the second set, with out cats it will still throw a code. The rear O2's check to make sure the cats are working.

edit: Scott beat me and explained it better
    Last edited by blackcar; 05-09-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

look at the pic again. The second set is on the ORY

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    look at the pic again. The second set is on the ORY
    I saw the ones in the y-pipe, but I don't see any in the headers. But I do have an old, small monitor and just may not be able to see them.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

yeah i broke 2 sockets removing my AIR system

blue
    2001 trans am

ok i had frost tune out the AIR system should that cover the rear o2 sensors as well? i dont have an EGR so i didnt need it tuned out but if what your saying is true tuning out the AIR also removes any codes by the rear o2

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

This is for your F body and you dont have an EGR? Has it already been removed in the past? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but they all have EGR's from the factory. I'm not sure about the tune, but I dont think it will cover the o2's since they're still on the car when you had the AIR tuned out. So the computer still recognizes them in and will throw a code once removed....I think lol.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Cant remember the exact years but I think the 98-99 cars have EGR and the 00-02 cars just have the AIR system. As for the cats the rear 02s have to be tuned out removing the EGR/AIR from the computer wont take care of those codes.

blue
    2001 trans am

Yes with the ls6 intake there is no EGR, I eventually plan on getting cats if it messes up anything on thepcm

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Cant remember the exact years but I think the 98-99 cars have EGR and the 00-02 cars just have the AIR system. As for the cats the rear 02s have to be tuned out removing the EGR/AIR from the computer wont take care of those codes.

Mostly right. 98-00 have EGR 01-02 don't.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by lipsasaurus View Post
    Well today i orederd my headers. BBK Performance 1694 - BBK Full-Length Headers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

so to speed up the process i removed my stock exhuast, broke every bolt on the ball flanges, got a deep socket stuck on the cat flange "its still on there" broke 2 extensions from the amount of force i used to get the AIR system off, ended up just ripping it out after i unbolted it from the headers. Used a die grinder to cut that stupid clamp at the end of the y pipe. Here is the best part... i broke ONE of my MSD super high dollar fancy spark plug wires. AND on a related note to my first post of a ticking... the back cylinder which made the most noise the spark plug was barley in, on the opposite side a header bolt was broken, i removed it though. While removing the driver side manifold/cat i almost broke a plug in half so now its time to replace those...

My question is. this header package has a Y pipe with the o2 sensor holes yes? will it still throw codes without cats i plan on eventually getting them or else i will fail inspection, visually. What are the negative effects besides a SES light to no cats.
    Thank God my car came with headers from the start. I could never go through this again at my age.

blue
    2001 trans am

Your a lucky man. Mine come in today will have them on tonight so check back for pics and a sound clip of open headers and regular

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Open headers are so much fun!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Open headers rock. Put some sound up when you get them on. Pull some 5k shifts at night, your friends should see flames coming from the collectors. Fun, fun, fun.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

blue
    2001 trans am

just finished. just now. holy crap open headers = amazing. unfortunatley the y pipe is 2 inches short from the I pipe.... o well ha. no really just for future reference no codes from no cats. guess frost tuned them out. Absolutley no clearance issues on anything its like factory. not even hanging.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Sounds like you need to buy a cut out so you can make up the two inches.

Thread Information