Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Storage?

This is a discussion on Storage? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner my dad does this with his '72 sting ray. drives me crazy. i mean shit, ...

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner View Post
    my dad does this with his '72 sting ray. drives me crazy.

i mean shit, i realize keeping the miles minimal and all, but he's wanted one of these for as long as i can remember and finally got one 3 years ago and i doubt he's put 300 miles on it. gets it out 1 once a month or so to take it 5 miles up the hwy to sonic or somethin like that. TAKE IT OUT AND SHOW IT OFF!!!! although i geuss he is just keeping it safe and off the road for when he passes it down to me 20+ years from now....

i keep telling him i will put a few miles on it for him.
    sometimes knowing you have something you always wanted is enough, hence 300 miles per year.
    i bought my car as a toy. i dont want to drive it everyday as it would get on my nerves. its loud and not all that comfy, not to mention the amount of gas it will suck down.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Pewter
    02 WS6

I don't know if there is enough condensation in the concrete to warrant plastic on the floor nor do I think it would help much once you open the garage door.But I do leave mine on a trickle charger and cover it up.It's like getting a new car when you take the cover off lol.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Mine is being stored outside for the winter and I was thinking of throwing a tarp ontop of the cover for added protection against the elements. Im just wondering if i shouldnt do this because the cover wont be able to "breathe"? Also I was wondering if i could put some soft sheets under the cover to prevent scratches or will this affect the "breathing" of the cover? Any thoughts

Pewter
    02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    Mine is being stored outside for the winter and I was thinking of throwing a tarp ontop of the cover for added protection against the elements. Im just wondering if i shouldnt do this because the cover wont be able to "breathe"? Also I was wondering if i could put some soft sheets under the cover to prevent scratches or will this affect the "breathing" of the cover? Any thoughts
    I would NEVER use a tarp on my car.They make waterproof car covers that will breathe.

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Piranhaz View Post

Minnesota winters are no place for an f-body : (
    How about Alaska winters? Ha ha......I can't wait till I can put her away for the winter, till then shes 24/7/365

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by sstg View Post
    I would NEVER use a tarp on my car.They make waterproof car covers that will breathe.
    The tarp would go ontop of my cover. I have the SLP cover too

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Crack a beer and sit and stare thinking bout how its gonna be awhile fore she comes out again...

I recommend doing this daily until spring

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I know its downright depressing, its ritual once a month tho to pull the cover off open the cutouts and listen to about a 4500 rev after its warmed up...

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

Quote Originally Posted by sstg View Post
    I don't know if there is enough condensation in the concrete to warrant plastic on the floor nor do I think it would help much once you open the garage door.But I do leave mine on a trickle charger and cover it up.It's like getting a new car when you take the cover off lol.
    You'd be suprised how much moisture comes up through concrete. That's why in construction it's code to put in a vapor barrior in your basement against the concrete walls.

I also get condensation between the floor and plastic in my garage, so it does stop a considerable amount of moisture. And your right, as soon as you open the garage door the plastic would blow around. That's why I have carpet over the plastic.

Pewter
    02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    You'd be suprised how much moisture comes up through concrete. That's why in construction it's code to put in a vapor barrior in your basement against the concrete walls.

I also get condensation between the floor and plastic in my garage, so it does stop a considerable amount of moisture. And your right, as soon as you open the garage door the plastic would blow around. That's why I have carpet over the plastic.
    I meant the amount of humidity that comes in once the garage door is opened lol.

SOM

LOL. Dude, there's not a whole lot of humidity when it's 20* outside. That's why people have humidifiers in their houses for the winter months.

Pewter
    02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    LOL. Dude, there's not a whole lot of humidity when it's 20* outside. That's why people have humidifiers in their houses for the winter months.
    They have humidifier's because forced air furnace's dry out the air.I'm an "HVAC" tech.I know about humidity.You won't see a humidifier in a radiant heat home.Look all I was trying to say to the original poster is that ''I'' don't think covering the ground is necessary.Just my opinion.Not Interested in an argument here.

SOM

Fair enough, I obviously disagree.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

lucky for me i live in sunny california and get to drive my baby year round but the only problem is that its a pain in the ass to pass smog with mods so its stock for now til i can get past it somehow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information