Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Steering problems

This is a discussion on Steering problems within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; My 01 Camaro did it all the time, I had the quick ratio myself too.. Even more so with the ...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

My 01 Camaro did it all the time, I had the quick ratio myself too..

Even more so with the auto-x tires on it.

Car was perfect on new black top and paveing that did'nt see much tractor trailer and tri-axle use, but as soon as I would enter roads/highways within normal heavy truck routes it was all over the place.

Uneven pavement, or sometimes around here you'll see long strip patches, that would cause my 01 to wander also.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Also,,, I noticed the more performance oriented the tire the more pronounced the wandering was..

Touring tires, semi performance, and all seasons, don't have the stiffer side walls and tread spine that the more performance and race tires do..

Also the taller the side wall the less you're likely to see/feel wander..imho

Original tires for my car were a 55mm touring side wall hardly any wander, and the auto-x tires were a 45mm raceing side wall,, car was everywhere on uneven pavement..

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Also,,, I noticed the more performance oriented the tire the more pronounced the wandering was..

Touring tires, semi performance, and all seasons, don't have the stiffer side walls and tread spine that the more performance and race tires do..

Also the taller the side wall the less you're likely to see/feel wander..imho

Original tires for my car were a 55mm touring side wall hardly any wander, and the auto-x tires were a 45mm raceing side wall,, car was everywhere on uneven pavement..
    Right. I should have emphasized that I only experience the wandering on well worn roads, which we have in abundance in N.J. Newly paved, no problemo.

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

I had the same problem when I got the Hawk. Ended up seeing the rears were staggered and when I swapped them out with some all weather Khumos (factory rim size on all 4) it made a huge difference. I can drive on roads I used to not be able to.

On the hunt

My 00 T/A does it also. However, I have a bad outer tie rod that also contributes to the road ruts. Smooth pavement outside of less heavily traveled areas are just fine. Freaked me out the night I drove it home!

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

My car doesn't do this. I have Pirelli P Zero Nero's. An eclipse I had did this same thing, though. With the factory tires, it was fine. I put 18's on it, with low pro tires, adn it was terrible. Cornered better, and had better grip, though. So, from what I just said, you want responsiveness, you get grippiness. And with that, it tracks. Just another reason not to let anyone else drive your car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information