Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Steering problems

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their TA. When driving down the road the car seems to wander back and forth for no reason. You can be holding the steering wheel straight and it will pull to one side then sometimes when corrected back to the other side. I have had it aligned 3 times, new tires and rims, replace tire rod ends. There seems to be no play in the rack or steering shaft, but the problem continues. There are no external kinks in the power steering lines. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Could there be a problem in the pump or internally in the rack?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.............

black
    2002 WS6

what size of tires are on the car? It's a compination of wide tires, and quick ratio steering. The car is following the ruts in the road from the big trucks. Mine does it all the time.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Thanks for your response, I was thinking that may be the problem also, so I installed the wheels and tires off my 06 GTO that had none of the symptoms that the TA has, but the problem persisted. Apparently, the problem is not related to the wheels and tires but to the steering/suspension of the Trans Am.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it...........Bill

black
    2002 WS6

You are welcome. where I am the rutting can get really bad and controling the car, esspecially when coming to a stop can be interesting.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

I know, it is really bad on a stretch of road that has some ruts on it, but it is strange that the GTO nor any other of my cars has any problem on that road.
    It just may be that it is a characteristic of the TA. Strange but I guess possible.

Thanks again.........Bill

ruby slippers
    2001 Trans Am

Im having the same problem with my t/a also. i just ordered new tie rods inner and outer, top and bottom ball joints and sway bar links. and getting realigned, hope to have parts and finished up by friday. will let u no if i have any luck.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Thanks..........sounds good.

I hope it works for you. There just seems to be something loose in the front end. I have tried lifting the car and checking play in the suspension but just can't seem to find anything worn out....ball joints, tie rods.....etc. One mechanic suggested possible problems in the pump pressure, I haven't had that checked yet.

Let me know what you find out................Bill

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

My ws6 has the same problem 61777 miles think its time for a biger sway bar new links and bushings

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Seems to be a common problem on the TA's. Has anyone who has had this problem repaired or replaced anything that eliminated the problem? I would think as common as this appears to be someone would know what the cause would be instead of just replace alot of expensive parts just hoping it fixes it.

black
    2002 WS6

It's cause of the geometry of the linkages and tires. As well as the amount of resistance in the steering rack. End links and larger sway bar are not going to solve the issue, as those are for body roll not wheel movement.

One solution would be to but the sterring box in from the V6 cars, down side you lose responsiveness. You can go to taller narrower tire, look for a bump steer kit. Not much you can do about it really, unless you want to rebuild your entire front suspension. Even then I doubt that will help cause the rear will still track the ruts and cracks.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I think it's just because the steering is so responsive that you truly feel everything in the road. I know when I get into certain patches of road that have ruts it's like my car want's to throw me in one direction or the other. There aren't a lot of areas like that around Austin, so I know where I have to make sure I'm holding the steering wheel.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

I have the same problem in my car, and in other high steering response cars I have driven. It's most likely caused by ruts in the road, even the ones you can't see. There was a stretch of road near my home that always felt like my car was going to throw itself off the road altogether. They repaved it, the problem went away for a while until new "invisible" ruts formed. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but it is noticeable.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

I would think that the GTO is a high steering response vehicle, and it had no problems at all. You can be going straight down the road and it will just dart to one side or the other apparently when it hits these ruts. I would accept the "wider tire" explanation except for the fact the my GTO has no problem at all with the same tires switched to the TA. It definitely feels as though something is loose and allowing allowing alignment to change. I have had this sympton before on other cars only to find worn or loose front end components, but we sure can't find anything like that on the TA. Does anyone think this could be a pump or fluid pressure issue?

Thanks.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

same here as all the rest have said-- when I first bought the car I thought there was something wrong but there isn't -- just hugs the road so much it follows every little bump and groove-- you get used to it -

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Well, if that's the way it always drives, I'll drive my GTO and just use the TA as a weekend toy at the local 1/8th mile strip. The TA is cool and all but the fact is the GTO is hands down much more pleasant to drive.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I really don't notice it much after awhile - you adjust--- as far as the GTO goes- I know they are really fun to drive (so I've heard) but well..... they aren't exactly pretty- sorry

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

my firehawk came with a portfolio that shows all of the options and characteristics of the car and it states not to be alarmed with road walk due to them being prone to doing such especially where big trucks have been. coming to a stop in heavily traveled ares was scary when i first bought it. i thought i had bought a turd.

White/Blue 30th colors
    1999 30th Trans Am

This is and always has been a issue with f-body cars. They do not track well. I had a 1995 z28 and now I own a 1999 wst TA. Both cars did the same thing. This problem come with wide front tires. It was not as bad with my 1995 bc it only had 245/55/16, now with my 99 TA I got 275/45/17's . They way I fixed the problem was installing 245/55/17's on the front of my TA. (Not as WIDE) now the car goes down the road great and no more steering wheel pulling on bad road surfaces. The only thing I don't like is that the car does not like as nice with the not as wide front tires but its not as bad as having the car dart all over the road.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

My 2002 WS6 has 12,000 miles. I got it with 8000. First time I drove it I could't believe how sensitive the inputs to the steering wheel were. No gazing around at the scenery. I figured new tires and alignment would solve the problem. NOT ! I agree you get used to it somewhat. It's a little unnerving when you're in between a couple of eighteen wheelers at highway speeds.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Can't say I've ever experienced this on my 02 Camaro SS, and I've owned it since 2002.

Thread Information