Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

squeeky annoying noise..

I cannot figure out where this noise is coming from.. It sounds like it could be the exhaust, shocks, or springs.... Since it mostly does it when im driving down the road and hitting bumps... It sounds like its coming from INSIDE the rear hatch but there is absolutely nothing back there that i could think of it being. I pulled the carpet back and checked the top of the shocks and thats not it. When i shake the exhaust i dont hear it, so that cant be it. Anyone have any ideas because i dont have a clue.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    I cannot figure out where this noise is coming from.. It sounds like it could be the exhaust, shocks, or springs.... Since it mostly does it when im driving down the road and hitting bumps... It sounds like its coming from INSIDE the rear hatch but there is absolutely nothing back there that i could think of it being. I pulled the carpet back and checked the top of the shocks and thats not it. When i shake the exhaust i dont hear it, so that cant be it. Anyone have any ideas because i dont have a clue.
    Bump stops for the hatch need adjusted maybe.. Try turning them a little (adjust them slighly higher) to make them a little tighter against the hatch see what happens.. You can always move them back if there's an alignment issue after adjustment.. My hatch made noise when we first got her. When I reset all my panels so the lines/gaps were correct, I adjusted the bump stops and it fixed the noise as well. Good luck!
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Bump stops for the hatch need adjusted maybe.. Try turning them a little (adjust them slighly higher) to make them a little tighter against the hatch see what happens.. You can always move them back if there's an alignment issue after adjustment.. My hatch made noise when we first got her. When I reset all my panels so the lines/gaps were correct, I adjusted the bump stops and it fixed the noise as well. Good luck!
    do this, hatch squeeking is a common problem with f-bodys for this reason

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

ok im going to try this because this is exactly where it sounds like its coming from.. thanks

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Another common problem is where the exhaust comes over the axle where the top pan hard support bar is. There is very little clearance there. If you crawl under the car and see shiny metal on either the exhaust or PHB support, this could also be the culprit.

Let us know what you find!

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Another common problem is where the exhaust comes over the axle where the top pan hard support bar is. There is very little clearance there. If you crawl under the car and see shiny metal on either the exhaust or PHB support, this could also be the culprit.

Let us know what you find!
    also true, mine doesn't squeek but it bangs if i hit a bump hard enough,

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

ooo...mine squeaks like that too. I always assumed it was the spare tire or the rear seat latches, but now I think I'll check my hatch bump stops!

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i removed my spare so i know its not that... i tried the bump stops.. i only drove about 2 miles after i messed with them but i didnt notice anything right away.. ill check it out some more tomorrow.. thanks for the input guys.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

you could try a little dab of silicone lube (or anything slippery) on the bump stops to see that cures the noise.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    you could try a little dab of silicone lube (or anything slippery) on the bump stops to see that cures the noise.
    Put that lube on the latch itself.. Usually that is where the sqweek comes from. @ the latch loop like metal on metal.. Adjusting your bump stops will make it a tighter lock through the loop.. Just don't go too far with the ajustment, it can become hard on the release mechanism if it latches too tight.. Took me a few adjustments to get it just right..

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

x10. same phantom squeaking. I only notice it every so often as my exhaust is too loud or music is covering the sound. but its embarassing when someone is in my car and my we are trying to talk and its squeaking away.
    I know its something easy with the hatch. just dont hear it enough to be able to troubleshoot. let us know what fixes it for you.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Put that lube on the latch itself.. Usually that is where the sqweek comes from. @ the latch loop like metal on metal.. Adjusting your bump stops will make it a tighter lock through the loop.. Just don't go too far with the ajustment, it can become hard on the release mechanism if it latches too tight.. Took me a few adjustments to get it just right..
    ah...good call. I'll be looking into that next time I drive my car to work.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Excellent idea.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    ah...good call. I'll be looking into that next time I drive my car to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Excellent idea.
    Thanks guys I just hope it works for you guys as it did for me.. Like I said, I had to fiddle with them a few times to find a happy medium to stop the sqweek and not have the hatch misaligned too..

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i backed up the stops a few turns.. it stopped squeeking, thanks for the help it was driving me nuts

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

i backed up the stops a few turns.. it stopped squeeking, thanks for the help it was driving me nuts
    Cool! no prob..

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

now that thats fixed, my AC belt is squeeking... lol i think one of the rollers that hold it on has a bad bearing.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

now that thats fixed, my AC belt is squeeking... lol i think one of the rollers that hold it on has a bad bearing.
    Maybe your idler pulley.. All 4th gens get wheather dirrectly on the front of the engine.. Bearings hate that..

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Maybe your idler pulley.. All 4th gens get wheather dirrectly on the front of the engine.. Bearings hate that..
    which pulley is that? is it on the main belt or one of the ones on the AC belt?

Thread Information