White
    1999 T/A

Squeaking over bumps..... time for the shocks to go?????

my T/A's got 79000 miles on it and the engine still runs like a champ.. but whenever i go over a speed pump or any bumps on the road the car makes an annoying crappy squeaking noise that sounds like its coming from the shocks. do these start to go on the older cars, mayb time for new ones??? or am i just bein picky about a lil backround noise lol.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Might not be the shocks at all. I had a squeak coming from the rear shock area when my car had 20k miles and sprayed some silicone spray in the top of the area where the springs are and it went away. Could be the lower control arms are a little worn or a loose bolt(had one on my panhard bar). If your not using stock bushings then it could make more noise too. Can be many things.

White
    1999 T/A

ill try that out tomorrow. i got some tri-flow downstairs. back when i first got the car the rear right tire would occasionally bottom out a tiny bit. thought it wasjust cuz of the springs and wen i needed my NYS inspection they found out the shock was missing the bolt that connects it to the lower arm.

what seemed weird was that it sounds like the squeak is coming from wherever teh car hits a bump no matter which wheel it is.

2002 Z28

Do you feel like the rear of the car is looser than in the past? I started to notice a loose feeling. almost like a low tire and car would just not feel as tight around corners, then the squeak became louder, I had a friend get close to the wheel and I held the brake and brought the back end up(just before it spun the wheel) and still could hear it, but sound was hard to pinpoint. I finally decided it was driving me crazy, so took it to a local muffler shop and they tightened all the bolts under the car.. Last one they did was the panhard bar and cured the squeak, then they looked at it and said the bushing looked a little worn. My car only has around 35k miles on it now, so I may just get a aftermarket panhard bar and be done with it. I had a weld break on a aftermarket lower control arm and it made all sorts of noises, but was hard to see the break and pinpoint it too.. Isn't so much how many miles are on the car, is all about how the car was used in the past. I drag raced 300+++ times down the track, so there is more wear than most cars. I had my gears changed out at 15k miles on the car for 3:42's and the seals were already showing wear and was recommended I have new ones put in the axle(this was before I drag raced). There are so many things it can be, you just have to go through everything and eventually it will be found, other than stock bushings, aftermarket items, lowering, rust, loose bolt, brakes..etc... can be so many things.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 11-21-2006 at 07:56 AM.

White
    1999 T/A

im pushin 79k so..... lol i was lookin a while ago into gettin an adjustable panhard bar to even out my rear end too so it doesnt sit out to one side a little too much.

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

HMM My 02 SS with 48K does the same shit, squeaks like crazy over any small bumps, and speed humps, but my 01 Camaro V6 Vert did the same thing with 56K. It sounds like the shox to me also!

I got the same deal going, more on the driver rear side. it sound like an annoying little donkey.. :0) , it did that at 55k when I bought it, now the same.. I got new springs lowering 1.5, I think I'll get the blistein hd shocks to get a firmer ride and hopefully the noise goes away.. I do feel the stock socks bounce a little too much, and I want to firm up the up/down motion.
    I did get the sub frame connectors and that did not help, so it must be the shocks...

2002 Z28

I have the Bilstien Hd's, they were on when I was having the squeak issues. I still get a squeak sound when I power brake the car at the track, but in normal driving it isn't noticable,

i see, I'd probably do tightening of all the bolts under the car..
    the stock panhard bar and stuff. then do the shocks to get firmer ride anyways. I'll let you know how it went. looking at the next few days since I get thrusday and friday off,

Listen to Rotwiler regarding the silicone. My T/A did the same thing and it's only got 22K. The silicone was slicker than whale poop. No more squeaks.

yeah, I'm getting to a mechanic to do gear 3.23 to 3.73 swap, and Fast LSx intake next Thrusday. I'll have him tighten up the bolts on the stock panhard.
    I have 70k on it so it may be that, even though I bought it 55k on it and the car was bone stock, I mean even stock lid .. so I guess the guy had it as completely stock and drive 9k a year, relatively low miles..

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Mine does it first thing in the morning, but I think it's just the fact that it's colder outside. Didn't do it till the temp went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    Mine does it first thing in the morning, but I think it's just the fact that it's colder outside. Didn't do it till the temp went down.
    you have stock shocks? did u tighten the bolts under? I'd try the silicon spray recommended above, I think it's a cool idea.. I'll have my mechanic do it, I don't wanna mess up the springs by mistake ..

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Stock shocks should be replaced the second you pull off of the lot. They suck....they suck...they suck. Plain and simple. Best mod to date for me has been Bilstein HD shocks. Dramatically changed the way my car drives.
    '00 Black Ram Air TA TR224/224 PRC 5.3 59cc Heads
    Pacesetter LT ORY Hooker CB 414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    BMR PHR, SFC,LCA & TM. Bilstein HD shocks 1LE FSB
    Firehawk Rims w/KDW Custom Headrests & Floormats

White
    1999 T/A

how much did that run u with install?

2hours labor=$160, $400 for the Blistein shocks.. I will get them soon,

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    2hours labor=$160, $400 for the Blistein shocks.. I will get them soon,
    It's a great investment....TRUST ME...Strano Auto always has them cheap

got the Blistein shocks at LG Motorsports this weekend. the squeaking stoped for the most part, when it's like 30-35F outside it does very little, almost non noticable, maybe it's just the chasis moving 1 millimeter,, I got new suspension, spring+shocks+subframe connectors. so the squaking went away.
    it was pretty loud before now I really have to pay attention with the radio off, and may get a little squeak every now and then, and it doesn't happen on all bumps anymore. cool. cured

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    got the Blistein shocks at LG Motorsports this weekend. the squeaking stoped for the most part, when it's like 30-35F outside it does very little, almost non noticable, maybe it's just the chasis moving 1 millimeter,, I got new suspension, spring+shocks+subframe connectors. so the squaking went away.
    it was pretty loud before now I really have to pay attention with the radio off, and may get a little squeak every now and then, and it doesn't happen on all bumps anymore. cool. cured

Hows she handle now? Side to side? When you hit the brakes hard does the car nose-dive anymore? New shocks should cure many an ailment

literally no noticable nose dive, then when I floor it it doesn't move side to side, especially t-tops are notorious for rattling and body flex,, it is nice. and cornering much better, I have a brace tower bar in front, and the car is lower 1.5'' stance.. so it feels great driving it, I'll do the AFR heads and a cam next year and start making it my weekend/track jewel

Thread Information