Results 1 to 11 of 11

Squeaking....

This is a discussion on Squeaking.... within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Okay i have a 98 firebird and i was told these cars do NOT have struts? Well every damm time ...

  1. #1
    Member flybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    408

    Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

    Squeaking....

    Okay i have a 98 firebird and i was told these cars do NOT have struts? Well every damm time i turn or go over a bump BOTH shocks or whatever it is squeaks.... Since there are no struts then what the heck is causing the squeaking!? Im 16 so ya know... cut me some slack. Im learning up on this stuff

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    I assume you are talking about the front end? If so, this is what you have back there:





    The spring assembly is integral to the shock and is therefore a "strut". As far as the squeek goes, it could be a dried out bushing or worn suspension parts.

  3. #3
    Member Fearls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Verdigris, OK
    Age
    35
    Posts
    289

    MRM
    2002 T/A M6

    Its probably your upper A-arm joints. When they dry out, you will hear a god awful squeak over bumps and such.
    3" MagnaFlow CatBack w/Corsa (clone)Tips, Lloyds Custom Floor Mats, SLP Lid, Pro 5.0 W/ Lou's SS, 7.5" Eaton Locker w/3.73, KYB AGX, BMR LCA's, FRA, SSE, 5% Tint, 18x9 C5 Rims w/Falken 452

  4. #4
    Member mike171562's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    162

    Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

    could be the sway bar bushings, the only way to find out is to get underneath and have someone rock the front end up and down while you listen for it

  5. #5
    Member flybird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    408

    Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

    thanks guys. this car here is my most def project car. soooo many problems with it lol. ima get it fixed soon.

  6. #6
    Member TransAmTerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Abingdon, Md
    Posts
    206

    black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

    Question Annoying squeak in the front end

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearls1 View Post
    Its probably your upper A-arm joints. When they dry out, you will hear a god awful squeak over bumps and such.
    I was searching around for someone with the same problem as mine and found this thread. I've narrowed mine down to the front right - it's a squeak that i can reproduce by bouncing the front of the car up & down by hand. I know on the older cars, they had grease fittings everywhere but as far as I can tell -nothing to grease on these ,, is that right ?? If it is the A-arms, what is the resolve for that?? --any other part that could be suspect ?

  7. #7
    Member godless-phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    culver city, Ca.
    Posts
    459

    Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    you have front struts and rear shocks...whoever told you that you dont have front struts is a moron...no offense to you of course most my suspension parts are aftermarket and have grease fittings, so whenever they start squeeking, i just grease them up and itll go away for about half a year until i have to grease them again...plus those stock rubber bushings in the rear control arms can get really bad too...our cars are getting up there in age, so the stock rubber bushings are gonna go sooner or later...if you wanna play, you gotta pay

  8. #8
    Member TransAmTerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Abingdon, Md
    Posts
    206

    black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    you have front struts and rear shocks...whoever told you that you dont have front struts is a moron...no offense to you of course most my suspension parts are aftermarket and have grease fittings, so whenever they start squeeking, i just grease them up and itll go away for about half a year until i have to grease them again...plus those stock rubber bushings in the rear control arms can get really bad too...our cars are getting up there in age, so the stock rubber bushings are gonna go sooner or later...if you wanna play, you gotta pay
    Thanks for getting back to me so soon. That wasn't me who didn't know about the struts -just sayin'. I realize a new aftermarket suspension would be best BUT, for now I'd just like to find the squeaking part and maybe spray lube it up until i can replace it all. Maybe there's a part ( A-arm was mentioned) that usually goes up ?? It's an '02 w/ 90,000 miles. Everything 'looks' ok visually. Are bushings hard to do in a driveway on jackstands ??

  9. #9
    Senior Member justinmc978's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    college station, tx
    Posts
    2,564

    sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

    white lithium grease in a shaker can will fix that right up if you dont feel like changing a bushing

  10. #10
    Member TransAmTerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Abingdon, Md
    Posts
    206

    black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    white lithium grease in a shaker can will fix that right up if you dont feel like changing a bushing
    Ok, I,ll try that. I'll post and let you know how that works out.

  11. #11
    Member godless-phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    culver city, Ca.
    Posts
    459

    Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by TransAmTerry View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me so soon. That wasn't me who didn't know about the struts -just sayin'. I realize a new aftermarket suspension would be best BUT, for now I'd just like to find the squeaking part and maybe spray lube it up until i can replace it all. Maybe there's a part ( A-arm was mentioned) that usually goes up ?? It's an '02 w/ 90,000 miles. Everything 'looks' ok visually. Are bushings hard to do in a driveway on jackstands ??
    nope... ive done everything with a jack and stands...i wouldnt waste your time and money replacing the stock bushings with stock bushings again, either go with poly bushings or just save up some dough and beef up the suspension. Spray it with that lithium grease for now, like justin said, and save until you can afford to fix it the right way with the better parts. also, remember you have to "load the suspension" before tightening things down to avoid bushings from binding...learn from my mistakes! haha
    Last edited by godless-phoenix; 04-06-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. squeaking front end
    By purplebat66 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-26-2010, 06:51 PM
  2. Squeaking noise
    By 35th-ANV-SS in forum General Help
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-11-2010, 10:48 PM
  3. 'squeaking’ going on in my rear bad
    By MotorDogStar in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-02-2009, 12:09 AM
  4. Help: Squeaking Noise
    By Insert in forum General Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-01-2008, 11:04 AM
  5. Rear end squeaking
    By Gary in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-2008, 06:23 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •