Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Speedometer needle stopped working?

I installed a white gauge overlay and when I inserted the cluster back in the speedometer needle stopped working. It resets with the tach, but is stuck at "zero" no matter the speed I drive. I did not remove any needles, only positioned them at 12 o'clock so my overlays could slide over them. Every other gauge works fine, although the tach is a little off by half an inch. Also wanted to mention that the speed needle seems a little loose when I flick it compared to all the other needles, as if it somehow lost traction.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
    Last edited by onetroubledguy; 01-09-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I wonder if the panel is fully seating into the dash...(the connectors)

I had this happen when I put my bird on and I pressed really hard and it popped back into place.

Worse comes to worse just take it back off and try again.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Yeah. I've done that several times already. Actually, I just drove it again and the needle does work, but it acts strange and gets stuck at different places below 40. It also won't go above 40 either. I may just have to buy a new cluster.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Check to make sure it's not getting caught on the overlay.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Nope, not getting caught. I think I just might have messed the needle up.
    Last edited by onetroubledguy; 01-09-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Sebring Silver Metallic
    1995 Pontiac Firebird

I guarantee you it's your overlay, it's probably not seated completely flush to the gauges and it's causing your needle to get caught on it. Happened to me, and happens to alot of people. Try finding the stickiest, thinnest, tape/sealant/whatever to put behind the overlay to hold in down completely flat. It's pretty tricky to get right. Took me a couple of tries.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by blindxeyed View Post
    I guarantee you it's your overlay, it's probably not seated completely flush to the gauges and it's causing your needle to get caught on it. Happened to me, and happens to alot of people. Try finding the stickiest, thinnest, tape/sealant/whatever to put behind the overlay to hold in down completely flat. It's pretty tricky to get right. Took me a couple of tries.
    If that's really the case I will feel like an idiot, but I don't think so. I will take a closer look at it tomorrow just to double check...

Sebring Silver Metallic
    1995 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by onetroubledguy View Post
    If that's really the case I will feel like an idiot, but I don't think so. I will take a closer look at it tomorrow just to double check...
    Make sure to check closely right around the center of the needle, the black circle portion where the needle connects to the cluster itself. That's where mine was getting caught at, which made it hard to figure out that was the problem. The needle itself was far enough from the overlay to not look like it was rubbing, but right there at the base of the needle the overlay was popping out just ever so slightly to where the needle could barely move at all. It doesn't take much resistance at all to completely stop the needles from moving.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by blindxeyed View Post
    Make sure to check closely right around the center of the needle, the black circle portion where the needle connects to the cluster itself. That's where mine was getting caught at, which made it hard to figure out that was the problem. The needle itself was far enough from the overlay to not look like it was rubbing, but right there at the base of the needle the overlay was popping out just ever so slightly to where the needle could barely move at all. It doesn't take much resistance at all to completely stop the needles from moving.

Yeah, just because they are 'no needle removal' type overlays, the center hole is not so centered when lining up the hash marks and numbers anyways.

May want to get an exacto knife and trim a cunt hair off near the center of the needle if that is the case.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Yeah, I must have slightly damaged the needle when I was installing the overlay. I completely removed it and it's still acting funny. That really bothers me because I was pretty damn careful about it, but not careful enough apparently. It works, just "updates" in chunks and gets caught at intervals. Oh well I ordered a new cluster. Lesson learned!

Thread Information