Some Questions on (>'98) T/As

This is a discussion on Some Questions on (>'98) T/As within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; So, I have a few questions. Firstly, I'm looking for black interior, which seems to be called ebony. Now I've ...

Some Questions on (>'98) T/As

So, I have a few questions. Firstly, I'm looking for black interior, which seems to be called ebony. Now I've seen black black seats with black black carpet, and black black seats with dark grayish carpet. Is this just the lighting, or is it due to fade, or was it possible to have different coloured carpet?
    Secondly, the dash lights- with the red ones (tach, speedo, radio etc) is it always lit up?
    Do T/A's have posi still, allowing both wheels to spin/"burnout" (when Traction control is off)?
    Heated seats available stock? what rear-ends normally came in a WS-6?
    Thanks, I might have more questions in the future, you're all great help

Oh, and where is the stock 12-disc cd changer? Can it be removed easily and without any problems to the system?

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

#1 black seats black carpet
    #2 they are red and unlit during the day lit up at night via a light sensor.
    #3 both wheels always spin in mine.
    #4 no heated seats (it's not a luxury sedan).
    #5 3.42 in the m6

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

are you confusing a t/a with a bonneville ssei?

No, I am not. I may be more familiar with 2nd gens, but a TA is a TA
    The heated seats was just a question because I saw it in an ad, must have been an aftermarket thing, or simply false. Never really had experience with red dash lights, and sadly I never really payed attention to the rear end of the new birds.
    Thanks for all your help..I'm assuming the gray looking carpet is just light fade and odd lighting, then.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Grey and black is different. All my carpet and seats and interior is charcoal.. not black..

It has a big wing!

1998-99 Trans Ams had a lighter grey color called medium graphite.In 2000-2002 they switched to an interior color referred to as ebony.While the color was much darker than the previous grey,I and many others wouldn't exactly call it "black" at all.

Other interior colors were taupe (tan),camel (I think was the name,it was basically a darker tan) and white.

As far as I know ALL 1998+ Trans Ams are posi.The automatics (aka A4) had two axle ratios available with 2.73s being the standard and 3.23s being the optional "performance axle".All automatic WS6 Trans Ams received the optional 3.23s automatically when the WS6 performance and handling package was ordered.All 6 spd manual (aka M6)Trans Ams got the 3.42 gears in the differential.

The instrument cluster only lights up when the lights are turned on.The radio (if stock) should be illuminated all the time displaying the radio info or time depending wether it is on or off.

There has never been a heated seat option to my knowledge on the 1998+ Trans Ams but,there was an adjustable lumbar option available for the TAs..

The 12 disc changer (if optioned) would be in the cargo hatch area in the far driver side of the rear.Pretty sure on that.Not sure what's involved to disconnect it.I wouldn't be surprised though it it's just a simple "unplug and remove" procedure.

Hope this helps some...Good luck,and like with just about any TA/Camaro Z28/SS...Don't worry!you'll have a blast!

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Baluchitherium View Post
    1998-99 Trans Ams had a lighter grey color called medium graphite.In 2000-2002 they switched to an interior color referred to as ebony.While the color was much darker than the previous grey,I and many others wouldn't exactly call it "black" at all.

Other interior colors were taupe (tan),camel (I think was the name,it was basically a darker tan) and white.

As far as I know ALL 1998+ Trans Ams are posi.The automatics (aka A4) had two axle ratios available with 2.73s being the standard and 3.23s being the optional "performance axle".All automatic WS6 Trans Ams received the optional 3.23s automatically when the WS6 performance and handling package was ordered.All 6 spd manual (aka M6)Trans Ams got the 3.42 gears in the differential.

The instrument cluster only lights up when the lights are turned on.The radio (if stock) should be illuminated all the time displaying the radio info or time depending wether it is on or off.

There has never been a heated seat option to my knowledge on the 1998+ Trans Ams but,there was an adjustable lumbar option available for the TAs..

The 12 disc changer (if optioned) would be in the cargo hatch area in the far driver side of the rear.Pretty sure on that.Not sure what's involved to disconnect it.I wouldn't be surprised though it it's just a simple "unplug and remove" procedure.

Hope this helps some...Good luck,and like with just about any TA/Camaro Z28/SS...Don't worry!you'll have a blast!
    i know it's not a big deal or anything but doesn't the dash lights light up at night even with the lights turned off? i'll have to check tonight to see for myself.

you seem like you know your stuff with t/a's so heres one for ya. on the sides of the seats most of the t/a's i've seen have a ribbed part on them. mine does not. is that a different seat for a different year or what?
    Last edited by 2-bowties&abird; 06-27-2008 at 04:50 AM.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

^no they do not. at least mine never did. then again, mine don't light up at all anymore.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Canadian models had a light sensor that kicked the lights on...

It has a big wing!

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    i know it's not a big deal or anything but doesn't the dash lights light up at night even with the lights turned off? i'll have to check tonight to see for myself.

you seem like you know your stuff with t/a's so heres one for ya. on the sides of the seats most of the t/a's i've seen have a ribbed part on them. mine does not. is that a different seat for a different year or what?

That would be the adjustable lumbar support option.The ribbed ones have the lumbar option and the of course,the non-ribbed ones are the standard seats.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Canadian models had a light sensor that kicked the lights on...
    i thought they were all made in canada???

Black
    00 WS6

I have a 2000 WS6 and mine don't come on automatically, so it must be the ones that were sold in Canada originnally.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Do a search about canadian models on here. It should pull up.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate your time and assistance (because of it, I'm currently trying to get into an '02 black on ebony T/A WS6, with t-tops, monsoon, etc.. and extremely low miles).

I'm guessing the carpet looks different because of lighting or wear (I am beginning to notice this in most pictures now, especially on the hump between the rear seats- always looks light gray against dark seats).

Thread Information