Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Solstice Name Change

This is a discussion on Solstice Name Change within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Smittro Was'nt that, "Sunturd", and "Blunderbird"? jk I always called them "Sunflowers" because they are girl cars. ...

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Was'nt that, "Sunturd", and "Blunderbird"? jk
    I always called them "Sunflowers" because they are girl cars.

Only reason they stopped selling them is because they didn't put a flower holder in the dash like the Volkswagon Bugs did.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ummm... I wouldnt consider a T/A to be a chicks car. I see more girls driving Mustangs than T/A's because they're "cute" says my gf. T/A's are more powerful, sleeker, sexier, stiffer ride, and much more performance oriented than a Mustang yet alone a Solstice. I think people werent into the four cylinder birds of the 80's and im pretty sure that after killing the bird if they brought it back in a little convertible roadster with a turbo four cylinder people wouldnt be happy at all. Except maybe the people that are into turbo jetta's and what not. Just my opinion.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    Ummm... I wouldnt consider a T/A to be a chicks car. I see more girls driving Mustangs than T/A's because they're "cute" says my gf. T/A's are more powerful, sleeker, sexier, stiffer ride, and much more performance oriented than a Mustang yet alone a Solstice. I think people werent into the four cylinder birds of the 80's and im pretty sure that after killing the bird if they brought it back in a little convertible roadster with a turbo four cylinder people wouldnt be happy at all. Except maybe the people that are into turbo jetta's and what not. Just my opinion.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here.

A T/A (Trans Am?) is definitely a dude's car. I was saying that a Sunfire was a chick car. A sunfire (which was really just a Pontiac Cavalier) is a "Sunflower."

When you refer to "four cylinder birds of the 80's" are you talking about sunfires, or the rare, earlier version 3rd gen Firebirds with the "Iron Duke?" I've never run across a 4-cylinder Firebird, although a few were made.

You are right however, that no one would accept a 4-cylinder convertible as a Firebird now.

The original premise of this topic was incorrect. The Solstice actually sold quite well, and it didn't have anything to do with GM failing. It was one of GM's best efforts in the latter days.

But a Firebird it is not. The Solstice could have been badged as a Fiero, however. Its closer to that category of vehicle in the Pontiac lineage.

--
    Last edited by 2000LS1Bird; 05-14-2009 at 10:46 AM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    I always called them "Sunflowers" because they are girl cars.

Only reason they stopped selling them is because they didn't put a flower holder in the dash like the Volkswagon Bugs did.
    Not to mention they had (I think) that POS 2.0L and 1.8L brazilian SOHC 4cyl. Everyone I ever knew who had one had head trouble with those junkers. Oh yeah throw in some of the models that had a turbo and there you go a sqweeling POS. lol Funny thing was all they where was a Cavalier too. I think Buick even pitched in one from thier line up then too. Cadilac had the awsome Cimeron (spell) as well, goes to show even full leather interior could help them. But Chevy had the nost luck with the car. I'd have to say my wifes 96 z-24 was a much nicer putt putt car than the base colbolts are now too. But back on topic, can't see the solstice being anywhere near considered muscle, let alone calling it a firebird.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-14-2009 at 10:58 AM.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

no chance in hell the fiero name would return.too many stupid people think ALL fiero's would burn to the ground even though that problem only affected the 84 model.as car guys we sometimes forget just how misinformed/dumb the general public really are,they believe everything they see on cnn/msnbc.remember when 20/20 did the show on chevy trucks that would explode in a side impact crash saying the fuel tank design was bad?only later did we find out that those trucks were rigged to explode for the tv show.i was about to be 16 then and was going to get a 80 chevy stepside truck,but my mom saw that show and said"those trucks will explode,you ain't getting one".

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    A T/A (Trans Am?) is definitely a dude's car. I was saying that a Sunfire was a chick car. A sunfire (which was really just a Pontiac Cavalier) is a "Sunflower."

--
    I wasnt refering to you. The thread starter stated in the very last line that 4th gen firebirds have always looked like a chicks car to him.

And yes I was refering to the rare 4 cylinder firebirds of the early 80's. Theyre rare cuz no one wanted them, just as no one would want one now is what i was saying. A guy i work with actually has one sitting in his backyard.

None

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    if you have never rode in one you would know why. Nothing like any trans am I have been in.

Now you get the saturn Sky, put ANY lsx engine in it... do some tiny body mods, and some flip up headlights and we may have a deal...

Dude that is a great ideal, the would rock!
    Those shy's are cool lookin...

2002 CETA m6

i hate the solstice...only car from pontiac i like right now is the G8...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans am ws6

Solstice ewww ugly car

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    no chance in hell the fiero name would return.too many stupid people think ALL fiero's would burn to the ground even though that problem only affected the 84 model.as car guys we sometimes forget just how misinformed/dumb the general public really are,they believe everything they see on cnn/msnbc.remember when 20/20 did the show on chevy trucks that would explode in a side impact crash saying the fuel tank design was bad?only later did we find out that those trucks were rigged to explode for the tv show.i was about to be 16 then and was going to get a 80 chevy stepside truck,but my mom saw that show and said"those trucks will explode,you ain't getting one".
    so true. my wife says the trans am is a death trap. people will believe anything. especially since critics will always praise a imported car and not very much domestic. look at motor trends car of the year. a damn gt-r. as much as it is a good performance car for cheap, shouldn't be car of the year. who in the average family can spend 80k on one of those? the g8 was overpassed in the comparo and some in the general public don't even know what it is when its been called one of gm's best efforts in its failing years. screw new cars, i'm buyin old from now on
    Quote Originally Posted by Same ol Situation View Post
    +1. look at the sky and solstice side by side. IMO the sky is a much more aggressive styled car, hence solstice=girl car. looks more like older pontiacs than the solstice. pontiacs trademark accents/nameplates were ditched and just given a dart on the front and twin honeycomb grills and called a pontiac. its sad to see them die, but the g8 was really the only worth while car they had to me

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

solstice=girl's car,that's why i didn't buy one a few years ago,well that and they were too overpriced then,saw a used one for more $ than sticker,this was back in 06.

Black
    2001 Pontiac WS6

The solstice was the dumbest car gm ever released. a real pos. gm shouldnt have invested shit into this car but instead invested it into releasing a new gen firebird. SOLSTICE

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I actually kinda like the Solstice.

RWD and 260hp, not too bad IMO.

I prefer the lines of the Sky a little more, but then you have to tell people you drive a Saturn, which IMO is a chick BRAND.

I don't know if I'd BUY a Solstice, all those cars to me have that Miata vibe, meaning only chicks and older gay dudes drive them. Throw a LSX in it, and just like the V8 Miata conversions, the car becomes badass.

I think the Firebird and T/A name needs to stay dead at this point. Just let it have it's place in history.

And whoever said the T/A is a chicks car, I see way more chicks driving Camaros than 'Birds.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by WS6METAL View Post
    The solstice was the dumbest car gm ever released. a real pos. gm shouldnt have invested shit into this car but instead invested it into releasing a new gen firebird. SOLSTICE
    Actually, the Solstice is a good car. I remember all the car mags gave it good reviews when it first came out, and it's faster than any of it's competitors.
    I can think of many cars that GM made that were way worse. SSR anyone? Or how about the Aztek or the Malibu Maxx?

And I just remembered, oddly enough, IIRC one of the original Firebird concepts WAS a small roadster

And a new Firebird is kind of a moot point now anyway, since there won't be any Pontiac to produce it.
    Last edited by StuntmanMike; 05-19-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Bashing the Solstice is stupid.

It was a good selling car, and a good roadster. I'd take a turbo Solstice over an S2000 or a Miata any day.

NBM
    02 M6 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Same ol Situation View Post
    definately

DD of course

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by one_entity View Post
    Click for full size

I often wondered why Pontiac didn't name the Solstice a Firebird. Sure, it's not a muscle car like from previous generations, but I think that it would have sold a bit more just because of the name. It's a very sexy car that I think people would have been interested in it, maybe even guys would like it if they added some real power to the car. Manufactures always re-brand cars, try to appeal to different audiences, I personally wouldn't have mind if they would have introduced the Solstice as the Firebird, and maybe had a Firehawk version. I'm not saying that changing of the name would have saved Pontaic, just saying, I think it may have helped them a bit with sales. What do you guys think? Keep in mind that the 4th generation Firebird looks very much like a chicks car (although amazingly the Trans Am WS6 is a beast).
    gimme a puff of what your smokin would ya? j/k

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Actually, the Solstice is a good car. I remember all the car mags gave it good reviews when it first came out, and it's faster than any of it's competitors.
    I can think of many cars that GM made that were way worse. SSR anyone? Or how about the Aztek or the Malibu Maxx?

And I just remembered, oddly enough, IIRC one of the original Firebird concepts WAS a small roadster

And a new Firebird is kind of a moot point now anyway, since there won't be any Pontiac to produce it.
    you mean the rageous concept?

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

No, I'm talking about back in the 60's.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

wasnt positive. not sure if that was just a concept for a roadster, looks alot more like a pontiac than the solstice imo. still glad the bird wasn't ever put into the roadster catagory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information