Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans am WS6

SLP Y Pipe makes me angry

Is there a bracket you can buy to keep the slp y pipes from banging on the floor pans? I found one that was recommended on another post but where it mounts is right over the rear O2 sensor on that side, Apart from hammering it down to an oval (which I would like to avoid since I have limited time) has anyone else got a way to deal with it?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I don't run the SLP pipe but run the pacesetter pipe which is famous for banging. What I found is it's all in the angle of the I-pipe going over the axle. What I did was loosen the exhaust up all the way back and then adjusted that I-pipe to give me the most room all over especially in the bend under the drivers seat. Then I drove wood blocks between the pipe and the floor, tightened everything up real good, and then drove the blocks out. Cured all of my banging issues.

I too had the banging issue and at the time ran the same Pacesetter Y that Orion uses. I ended up cutting and rewelding to change the angle (I wanted to get inside and open the "T" connection anyway).

I later went to the Texas Speed stainless Y-pipe and it's made with a nice mandrel bend in this area to clear the floor. Tucks up nicely (actually up tighter than I had the pacesetter Y) and hasn't touched the floor since. Extremely happy with this Y-pipe and has a very nice "Y" transition.

I'd try as Orion suggested first. Loosen everything and wedge some wood in there, then tighten back down. If that doesn't work you might have to resort to the liquid wrench to heat things up and give it a slight bend.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Orion and Firebird what motor mounts do you guys have? Just curious if poly mounts help with the y-pipes that are known to have an issue.

I still have the stock 14 year old rubber mounts that GM put in there, no issues here with the TSP Y.

Here are a couple pictures of the 2 side by side. The "'Y" junction is apparent. Another feature I liked is the TSP Y coming in 4 pieces, so it allowed for a greater amount of adjustment and wiggle room to get it "just right" without any cutting or welding.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Look up Mufflex Performance Exhaust. They make a Y-pipe support bracket that worked great for me. I also have the SLP Y pipe. The web site only shows the 3" bracket (LS1-HR) but they also make a 2.5" bracket (LS1-HR-2.5). You might have to call them to get the smaller size if you have the standard SLP Y pipe.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Keep in mind that some of these Y-pipes don't come with the tang welded on the passenger side for the Y-pipe mount that comes off the transmission mount. So technically there is already a support bracket over there, it just has to be utilized.

Interestingly the pacesetter Y has the tang for it, but the TSP Y I had to weld the tang on to use the original support bracket.

Not using at least this factory bracket on the passenger side could be why some of these people are seeing issues with different Y-pipes, they all don't have it. It should be added if it isn't there. I never found the need to put one on the driver side since the factory didn't install one over there originally, although I had thought about it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm still rocking the stock motor mounts too. FBJ.....I would have to get under there and look but it seems like I had a tang on the drivers side but couldn't, or didn't, use it for some reason. It's been so long ago I don't remember. For some reason it seems like I tried using it but it banged anyhow. I'm gonna look under there tomorrow. I know I spaced my tunnel brace down so maybe that had something to do with it. My memory sucks these days. I forget everything.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have TSP and never had an issue with it. Before that, I had a muffler shop install my catback, and the factory y banged. I had them fix it. Same motor mounts throughout. Factory mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'm still rocking the stock motor mounts too. FBJ.....I would have to get under there and look but it seems like I had a tang on the drivers side but couldn't, or didn't, use it for some reason. It's been so long ago I don't remember. For some reason it seems like I tried using it but it banged anyhow. I'm gonna look under there tomorrow. I know I spaced my tunnel brace down so maybe that had something to do with it. My memory sucks these days. I forget everything.
    Ha, you and me both. I can't remember something from 2 hours ago it seems

I'd be interested to hear what you have going on. My pacesetter already has a tang welded on the passenger side with 2 bolt holes (can't see in picture) and if I remember right there is a bracket that bolts onto the transmission someplace with a rubber mount, and I believe it was originally there to help support the cat converter on that side.

When I bought the Texas Speed Y, although a really nice looking piece, I was surprised it didn't have the tang, so I welded one on myself to continue using the support on that side. One advantage there is to that though, is that I could position the Y exactly where I wanted it height wise before I welded that tang on. With the pacesetter it was already done so the height of the pipe on that side was sort of stuck if you utilized the bracket.

Anyway, I can't seem to remember exactly how that bracket attached to the trans or if it was part of the cross member??? It's due for an oil change in a few days so I'll have it on the rack and get a look at it again.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 05-06-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    Look up Mufflex Performance Exhaust. They make a Y-pipe support bracket that worked great for me. I also have the SLP Y pipe. The web site only shows the 3" bracket (LS1-HR) but they also make a 2.5" bracket (LS1-HR-2.5). You might have to call them to get the smaller size if you have the standard SLP Y pipe.
    The problem with the Mufflex bracket is that on the SLP Y pipes it mounts directly overtop of where the rear O2 sensor goes, and unless you cut the welds on it your are SOL

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

If you are connecting the Y pipe to stock cats then I disagree. The attached scan of the instructions I received with my bracket show how the Mufflex uses an existing point to clamp on to the Y pipe. My bracket is a full 16 inches back from where the driver's side of the Y pipe connects to the stock cat. If you have a Y pipe that is connecting to LTs and aftermarket cats then you may be absolutely correct. Perhaps you can simply weld a stud for the bracket to attach in a better location.

Thread Information