Thread: Slp maf

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Slp maf

Guys,

I realise this topic has probably been covered loads of times but when inputting it into
    the search box, nothing comes up so....... What gives with these mafs?

PAjeff recommended the stock one, as i expect, will many others but the simple fact
    is, i have one fitted and i don't have a stock one to replace it with!

I am reading threads with a google search where the resistor is removed to simplify the
    way it operates. Should i do this before i tell Frost all my list of mods i'm doing? Or,
    will Steve be able to do a bolt on tune WITH the SLP maf un-modded and have the car running good?

If anybody has removed their resistor, PLEASE tell me how?? (if i in fact need to?)

Also.... i have seen people saying how a $40 truck maf is a good alternative? Please do
    tell me which one as if they are this inexpensive maybe this is the way to go?!!

I must also add that i have an SLP smooth bellows fitted. Will this fit a stock or
    other alternative maf or just the SLP maf?? Is it another SLP "hype" item or do they in
    fact do anything?

Bit baffled on all of this??

Happily though my bank balance has taken a hit and i have the LT headers, Y pipe, gaskets
    and all of the other bits and bobs on the way!!

Trev
    Last edited by speedyWS6; 07-17-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The GM stock replacement MAF is $169.00 through GM Parts Direct. It will be a plastic MAF housing, rather than the stock aluminum one, and it will include an adapter harness. That is what I am currently running on our car as the stock MAF was hacked up bad. I just had to give Steve the MAF part number on my tuning sheet.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you have the larger SLP MAF already, with the larger bellows installed, just leave it and inform Steve on the tuning sheet. Do not remove the resistor. If Steve tells you that tuning with that particular MAF is a headache, then I would look at selling it and getting the OEM one.

I ran the SLP MAF and bellows without a tune for 7 years almost without an issue.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Jeff...
    Don't want to sound a tight git but $169..... A lot of those threads i spoke about
    highlighted a less expensive alternative which fits the bill ok? Any clues??

Jon...You say "do not remove the resistor". Of course i value your knowledge, as i would
    be getting nowhere without everybody's help, also, but why!? Apparently the SLP is a normal maf
    with a sticker on and the resistor gone turns it back into a "normal" one? I too am running the full
    compliment of SLP in that i have a lid/smooth bellows and also the maf. I currently have no tune
    as well!! (car runs fine)I think i am right in saying the idea of the SLP maf is to make the motor appear lean to
    the PCM and so produce "more power" I just don't want to give Frost an unnecessary problem.
    I am more than happy to keep the SLP maf in place if Frost is happy with it there.

I just have the much bigger issue of being in the UK and no simple "couple of days turnaround" for the bolt on tune!
    If Steve won't mind then that's what will happen! If i was over in the States it would be a simple thing but i simply
    have no stock maf to put back in and with all of the other expense going on, if i can avoid unnecessary spending, i will!!

Soo.... any and all thoughts invited on it being a problem for frost or indeed, not a problem?

I guess if all of this was simple.... then it would also be no fun!!!!!

Trev

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You are not going to hurt the car running the SLP MAF... or the Summit or Granatelli for that matter. I would not alter whatever MAF you install on the car.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Jeff is correct. If the resistor served no purpose, it wouldn't be there in the first place

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I would just do SD tune (frost can do that in the mail order as well, he did it with mine) and be done with the MAF personally or stick with the stocker.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!!

I have just gotten off the phone from a real lengthy call with Steve.

He was so helpful and explained everything in layman's terms!!

He told me that the later SLP mafs were very similar and he did not think
    it would be an issue at all. Seems the resistor in the later ones were a
    different value to earlier ones and nowhere near the issues that the early ones
    presented.

Actually after this we talked about the tune in detail and i have peace of mind!

No wonder you guys rate him!

Trev

Thread Information