Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Post Simple Ceta Mod---- Pics

Hey Good Buddies!

It's been nice reading various thread on this forum and seeking advice from all of you. Logging into this forum has been a daily exercise of mine for the past 2 months!!!! Stilling having a fluid leak on my Used Silver 2000 TA purchase but will take care of that soon.

I decided to do the CETA on this Silver TA today. It is my first time and have read about it in this and other forums. I decided to take some pics for those who are interested in completing this project on their TA. I used the most simplistic, time cut method. The result was proper for myself. Here you go:

You will need the following, plus rear ramping your baby up (much easier than on all four):

Do your sanding just like so and take your time. I used 100 grit wrap around a foam pad.... and also went sandpaper bareless at certain areas of the bumper:

I then washed and cleaned the surrounding areas thoroughly. It's important to wash where taping is necessary. You need adhesion.

Time to tape and mask. This was time consuming but very necessary for a proper paint job. Check my method of taping. I used Pro Artist Tape.... it stuck well and removed easily without residue. I felt it best to tape and masked in this order:

I should have CETA before installing my Magnaflow Exhaust 4 weeks ago. It would have made this project that much easier. I didn't want to waste time to unbolt those chrome pipes.

Time to paint..... I felt that this mod should not be too Glossy, SemiGloss... or too Flat (flat looks like it's plain dull black paint) on the other spectrum. No one has ever suggested, but I went with Krylon's Semi Flat. I wanted somewhat of a Flat look entainling just a touch of Gloss. Semi Flat did it!!!!! The wind was very minor. I stood a carboard box up to my left as a temp wind barrier. While spraying, at first, I held a 30 inch piece carboard to deflect the over spray above me where the newspaper masking ended. I moved that board along as I was spraying. After a while, I just said screw it with the board and freely sprayed. I coated all areas at least 5 times, filling in sand paper marks, etc. The Kryon paint dried quickly. The complete dry was 20 minutes. Here is the result.

If you have a black TA vehicle, I don't suggest going with black. I think it's better to go with Dark Gray to highlight that rear. Correct me if I'm wrong...... but evidently, the CETA is suppose to highlight your rear with characteristic of an "inlay" Section.

My biggest mistake is that I was not wearing a fume masket..... I tried not to breath very often when spraying, though the paint did get in my mouth and nostril. The weather condition outisde was sunny at 78 degrees with mild wind constanly blowing here and there.

Adios Amigos,
    Matthew

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Thumbs up

Great write up! I was planning CETA very soon. Any more pics of the final product? Close ups?

Looks pretty easy to do.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

nice! Looks good! I considered doing this on my silver TA but wasn't sure how it would look. could you possibly post a pic of the finished product without the masking? Also about how many cans of paint did you go through and how long did it take you?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I have a black TA, so I won't do something like this, but I think it is a good idea for other color cars. Looks great! Nice writeup.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Roger That

Yah man,

Thank you on compliment to the write up. Glad to see a couple have found this thread useful already..... There are better write ups then mine, though they don't depict step by step photos.

I can't see black on black or black on flat black....... doesn't stand out.. but like I said, flat gray would be good for you if you had gray anniversary stripes.

I will post a final product as soon as I get home and peel the tape off. More than that, I will even wash it after the peel to begin this week off write as I cruise to work tomorrow morning.

Last suggestion though...... I don't think it's a good idea to go with Gloss for the drying and usage time may not work well for many. Since it's the rear end, dusk accumulate really quickly. So, if you have to use your vehicle within the day or two, gloss may not be your friend. Though Gloss dries on the surface.... drying time for the bottom takes a considerable amount of time compared to flat black or Semi Black.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I have a black TA, so I won't do something like this, but I think it is a good idea for other color cars. Looks great! Nice writeup.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up

It depends how long it takes you to sand the clearcoat and tape. Taping around the rounded corners is very difficult and does slow you down much if you do it correctly.

I would say you can do a proper job in 3 hours if you set everything aside before you begin. Upon testing the black automotive primer paint I bought before painting... I didn't like the dull look. So I had to get on my Saturn and head to the AutoStore. Take it from me, Semi-Flat Krylon is your best bet. I was worry that my paint selection was poor after spraying it on.

One can is all it takes, with a little left over. One can will coat and recoat your spray at least 6 time around. The paint dried quick enough that I was able to recoat painting from side to side. I think you can do this job on your own under $20 bucks and 3 hours' time. You will like it on your Silver TA!!!! I will post a final pick soon!

Matthew

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Nice write up! It looks good, I look forward to seeing the finished pics.

This makes up for the other post on the fake hoodscoops, lol.

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

Funny cause on a CETA, the blacked out part of the bumper isnt painted. The black is just the colour of the plastic. The rest is painted yellow. Looks good and a good wright up. Iv got some CETA emblems for your doors if your interested in buying some.

i have 60 of them. All are brand new and OEM.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 02cetransam View Post
    Funny cause on a CETA, the blacked out part of the bumper isnt painted. The black is just the colour of the plastic. The rest is painted yellow. Looks good and a good wright up. Iv got some CETA emblems for your doors if your interested in buying some.

holy shit!
    where did you score those? how much do you want for a pair?

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

How much?

Quote Originally Posted by 02cetransam View Post
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

I would like 3 of the silver and black. How much?

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

Gus,
    Email me. Sent PM

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

They are going to be $45 each shipped to Canada and lower 48 states. Please note, I am not selling them all.

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

Will also accept offers if you buy 4 or more.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Red face F Body Owner!!!

Oh come on man, just trying to do some different with the hood thing because I didn't want to fork over $1,000 for hood and paint.. besides, I already have a TA with the Ram Air hood. Give a TA buddy a break hahahaha... Alright man, I will return those scoops!!! Hope no Camaro SS owners see that scoop post!!! I thought we F body owners stick together.

Matt
    By the way, if I add that scoop to my hood, I would then have an SS TA!!!

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Angry Boo whoo, mine is a fake.

Shit, those emblem almost look like Windows wallpaper! hahahaha The emblem looks nice but I would dare put them on my vehicle, since mine is a fake.

Matt

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

The Rear End Result

Hey Kiddies!

I have some good and bad news. I guess it could be good news for all of you altogether.

Check out my socks man:

Holy shit Batman! Eventhough I painted outside, the fume found it's way into my socks. Even the jean I was wearing had black paint fume all over my ass! Luckily I was wearing a black T Shirt. The Black fume adhered to heat. I'm hinting to those who will be doing this, make sure your exhaust, muffler, and certain part of your vehicle be cool or you will have black fume all over it. It's the first time that I had black fume finding their way into my socks from spray painting something! I just can't believe that. I didn't check my underwear..... problem have black shit in there too!

Okay, on a postive note, I was very please with the overall result, color, smoothness, and texture of the Semi-Black Paint. My spray strokes were very even:

IMG]http://www.activeone.com/ta/ceta/8.jpg[/IMG]

When I removed the newspaper and tape, I did it in the reverse order of how I put them on. My complications of removal had to do with the main tape that separate the two partition. Take a look and I will explain why and what could be done:

I removed the tape at first towards the paint. I noticed that it began to partially peel my paint, I then peeled away. Peeling away only helps a little bit. This peeling in between the partition is due to two factors:

1. Either too thick of a spray coat is between the revealed area and the tape (causing a bridge),

2. or it has to do with the fact that the clear coat was not properly sanded, thus the paint coat did not adhere properly.

When I sanded between the inlay, I was careful not to scratch/sand away the clear coat part that I wanted untouched. Being too careful, I neglected to sand the partition valley well. Here is how you can mask the partition for those who have concern about that:

Okay.... so how can I fix this since I have all the tape unraveled? I can use a Stiff thin cardboard as a barrier to run a couple quick spray in that area. If I run the spray, my evenly painted areas may encountered mist blotches from the new paint. That would be a Mother F'er! This is not say that I may get the jiggly and spray onto the unwanted areas as well.

The Fix:
    1. Spend 6 bucks and purchase a roll of black thin vinyl pin striping at Autozone and run it in the inlay.

2. With the left over paint from the can, empty some into a small container and gently dab/stroke it within the partition inlay to fill the missing paint. The paint brush can be purchase at the .99 cent store in one of those kiddie toy/office supply section....... you know the one I'm speaking about, the water color child brush. You don't have to worry too much about stroking the paint onto these sections... for the naked eye will not be able to tell for they are minor strokes. Oh, I don't suggest you should do it in this way, but instead of a brush, I see you can dab it on also with a Q-tip.

I'm going to hand stroke the paint on after work tomorrow. I will post a final picture of the mod repair.

I wished the project resulted in no hitch, but that's not reality. We thus must come up with a resolution to make the job right.

By the way, I drove by a new Audi with the rear CETA in Shiny Gloss black. It didn't look proper to me.. for it looks as if the body was painted in a different color in relation to the rear end. In another post, a member mention that a CETA rear end on the Yellow TA Edition is just pure unpainted plastic..

Good day!
    Matt
    Last edited by matthewaqui; 09-09-2007 at 10:34 PM.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Ceta Pita!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Buddy!

Where are you at in California? I'm looking for some TA buddies in the Area!!! Instead of Black, you may want go with a Semi Light Gray........ I think that would look much on a Red TA. I have a Red Ta that's too decked out and a CETA on it would not look very well.

By the way, the CETA rear on a TA makes it look very sporty compared to the rear of Audis, Maximas, etc.

Mattttttttttttttttt.

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    Great write up! I was planning CETA very soon. Any more pics of the final product? Close ups?

Looks pretty easy to do.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

did you scuff the paint underneath. If not i would hate to say it but that paint will not hold on to long. I did not read the write up, sorry.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

just read you did.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Wrinkly Ceta Mod Krylon Paint

Yah, I scuffed the rear well with sand paper. The scuffed left minor line parchments to the panel where I had to make many passes over just to fill it in. Filling in the lines will give the paint proper long term adhesion. More than that, when it comes to rear, the paint will last for quite some time, from lack of debris and roadside drive air accumulation.

I was checking out a Pontiac G6 at my work during break time.... guess what folks, it has a CETA going from side to side and back. The Ceta piece is separate from the other body panel. More than that, the CETA plastic piece has the wrinkly plastic.

For those who are interested in the wrinkly plastic texture, they do sell those Krylon paint. I don't believe it would look too bad on our Trans Am rear. To think of it now, the wrinkly plastic may look really good!!!!

Matthew

Thread Information