Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

should i trade my mustang for a TA?

This is a discussion on should i trade my mustang for a TA? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by jimmybling31 yeah right. lt1's are so easy to modify and produce power in. simpler programming too. full ...

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    yeah right. lt1's are so easy to modify and produce power in. simpler programming too. full bolt ons isn't worth more power than an ls1 but look into how much heads cost. you can get heads and cam for 480hp with bolt ons for a mere 1200 dollars. can you do that on an ls1?
    $1200.00 for h/c and full bolt ons on an lt1? yeah 480fwhp, i doubt you make that at the wheels.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I have to kind of agree with you, but I've been eying up an ls1 T/A since I was about 11 years old, so it was worth every penny to me. If I had to do it all over again I'd buy a higher mileage T/A and just mod the hell out of it from scratch, but I already have the car, and it's not worth it at this point.

If you get one, you'll change your mind...TRUST ME!!! Good luck with whatever you do though!!!
    dont get me wrong, i love ls1s, their my favorite engine,but the more i look the more the cars they come in arent worth it to me (not that i dont love them)

after i get my degree in december im going to buy a c5 vett. ill get ripped off for one of those. but im really leaning towards this lt1. the more i talk to him about it the more confident i am that the trans is fixed. the problem was the stock flexplate was warping and after 2k miles on a rebuild it would start dropping gears. its had over 2k miles on it since the last rebuild and its not showing any of the signs that it was.

i know i can make it last me til i graduate then i can pull the lt1 out and put in a fuel injected gen1 sbc. i had been looking for a 93-97 fbody to do that to a while back anyway.

and as far as gas mielage. i only drive in town so i really dont care. ive got enough money to afford the gas.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    yeah right. lt1's are so easy to modify and produce power in. simpler programming too. full bolt ons isn't worth more power than an ls1 but look into how much heads cost. you can get heads and cam for 480hp with bolt ons for a mere 1200 dollars. can you do that on an ls1?
    prob not, it cost more b/c the gen III engines are a better design and more reliable. not that I'm hating on lt1's my friend has one in a 95 Z msd and 4.10's but it's a simple truth. thats one of the reasons the production didn't last long with them plus the emissions couldn't stay up to par.
    Last edited by LS1buckey; 03-27-2008 at 08:12 AM.

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

Quote Originally Posted by LS1buckey View Post
    prob not, it cost more b/c it's a better design and more reliable. not that I'm hating on lt1's my friend has one in a 95 Z msd and 4.10's but it's a simple truth. thats one of the reasons the production didn't last long with them plus the emissions couldn't stay up to par.
    92-93-94-95-96-97 Lt1
    97-98-99-200-2001-2002 LS1
    Looks the same to me....Vette/F-Body btw.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

ok let me me say the gen III engine has lasted longer and is a better design.

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

ok let me me say the gen III engine will last longer and is a better design.
    Fixed. Much better.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by FuhBreezeE View Post
    Fixed. Much better.
    thank you. you did make a good point thanks for calling my mistake.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

LS1 was used till 04

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    $1200.00 for h/c and full bolt ons on an lt1? yeah 480fwhp, i doubt you make that at the wheels.
    it's easy to. all you have to do is go with an le2 head and call up comp cams and buy their high lift street rod cam for the lt1. the comes up when you put the le2 flow chart into the heads portion with full bolt ons the fwhp is 530. I am assuming that you are losing 50hp to the drivetrain. that is a very doable setup. no very streetable because of the high duration and low lsa, but it's very powerful

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

keep your mustang, do your own mods it sucks not knowing what's been done to your car!

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

Quote Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
    keep your mustang, do your own mods it sucks not knowing what's been done to your car!
    ...i know whats done to it, exactly. and he has every receipt to go with it.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

in your original post you stated it had problems and a rebuilt title. If your going for a C5 soon anyway why bother with the LT1. I've graduated college and professors don't give a shit that your car broke down and you couldn't make it to class.

LS1 appeared in a Corvette in 1997 did not come in a Trans AM/ Camaro until 1998

I've wanted a 1998 body style since i saw it it took me a lot of years but i got one a copule months ago. and i love it.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by drewhenderson13 View Post
    ...i know whats done to it, exactly. and he has every receipt to go with it.
    man if you want it then get it. if you feel it's worth it why do you need our opnions?

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

man if you want it then get it. if you feel it's worth it why do you need our opnions?
    it helps me think

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

Quote Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
    in your original post you stated it had problems and a rebuilt title. If your going for a C5 soon anyway why bother with the LT1. I've graduated college and professors don't give a shit that your car broke down and you couldn't make it to class.

LS1 appeared in a Corvette in 1997 did not come in a Trans AM/ Camaro until 1998

I've wanted a 1998 body style since i saw it it took me a lot of years but i got one a copule months ago. and i love it.
    i dont really feel that the mustang is any more reliable... so im leaning towards the ta because i like it better.

if i could completly have my way id
    trade for the ta, drive it until i graduate (hopefully with no or minimal problems) and buy a corvette after that. id tehn use the ta as a platform for a drag car (gen 1 sbc) and use the vette as the dd

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

yes... i seriously want a corvette as a daily driver

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

You have completely turned around since your first post.

First you said "the mustang is prety much stock (few bolt ons) with a clean title and near perfect condition."

Now your saying, "i dont really feel that the mustang is any more reliable"

I liked my mustang but it was my toy, i have a another car to fall back on. But once i traded the stang for the TA i realized im basically an adult that was still playing with little kids stuff. You want a reliable DD stick with the mustang but if you want something fun to play around with get the TA. SERIOUSLY think about your situation though.. It doesnt seem like you can afford to have a car that will most likely see some downtime.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    You have completely turned around since your first post.

First you said "the mustang is prety much stock (few bolt ons) with a clean title and near perfect condition."

Now your saying, "i dont really feel that the mustang is any more reliable"

I liked my mustang but it was my toy, i have a another car to fall back on. But once i traded the stang for the TA i realized im basically an adult that was still playing with little kids stuff. You want a reliable DD stick with the mustang but if you want something fun to play around with get the TA. SERIOUSLY think about your situation though.. It doesnt seem like you can afford to have a car that will most likely see some downtime.

to me all cars see downtime. i have never had good luck with cars. the musting is in good shape but little things keep fucking up on it. its in great shape... its just a pain in the ass. i really dont know how to describe it i guess.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

You describe it as age haha. Its up to you really though. my advice is to try and keep your stang and come up with the money to buy the car.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by drewhenderson13 View Post
    to me all cars see downtime. i have never had good luck with cars. the musting is in good shape but little things keep fucking up on it. its in great shape... its just a pain in the ass. i really dont know how to describe it i guess.
    you have just described what it is like to own an 11 year old or older lt1 powered car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information