Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

should i trade my mustang for a TA?

im thinking about trading my 96 mustang for a modified 95 trans am. both the cars have lower than usual mielage.

the delema is the trans am is relativly extensivly modified (heads, cam, transmision work, hood, spoiler, firehawk wheels, and more) but has a rebuilt title, gets much worse gas mielage, and has typical problems associated with a modified car.

the mustang is prety much stock (few bolt ons) with a clean title and near perfect condition.

the car will be my only driver so that has to be kept in mind. ignoring your personal opinions on mustangs and trans ams, does anyone think the trade would be worth it?
    Last edited by drewhenderson13; 03-26-2008 at 02:00 AM.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

man you know what your financial cituation is we dont. that mustang put down 250 or so hp and the ta put down 285 or so when it was stock. $4.00 gas by the end of summer so you need to figure that part out. as far as comparing those two cars is like getting off of a donkey and jumping on a race horse good luck.
    Last edited by t-rock; 03-26-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

personally, I have always been against buying highly modified cars. If they spent so much time (and money) making it fast and reliable, why sell?

Personally, I'd get a stocker. Even the LT1 is going to be a lot faster than your mustang, assuming its a GT. And if you have a cobra, it will be about the same.

How much money do you have for the car? If you are pushing the 6-7k mark, I'd get a descent mileage 98. 98+ have the ls1 and can do low 13s stock.

Larry Dingleberry Racing

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I would say keep your stang dont agree with buying a modified car myself unless you know the person and what the car has been through and wouldnt wanna buy or trade for a car that you said already has problems i would say keep your stang and save for an ls1 not the lt1 especially if it already has noticeable problems with it

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

For the money go LS1 mustangs suk and lt1s are more complicated than they need to be

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

If you really like your Mustang and know it's in great shape ... just do what you want. I'd rather buy a mostly stock car than one that is modded so much. The Mustang may not be as fast, but it's still yours and you already like it, right? Wait for an LS1 car later if you really want to upgrade.

(I drive an '86 Ford Thunderbird too, btw, so I like Fords too)

black
    2002 WS6

For a daily and only driver, stick with the stang. Over all operating costs will be less milage will be better adn chances are you will be happier in the long term. til you can find a car that is not heavly modified.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Stick with the stang or get a stock lt1 or ls1. Ls1 would of course be the best idea. but ur talking to a biased person here.

I hate to say it but stick with the stang if the car is going to your only means of transportation. I would stay clear of rebuilt titles too hard to resell and there is almost always something not right about them.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

the question is really: "what are you going to accomplish with a new car" Asside from making another 5 years worth of payments and dealing with some other guy's mods?

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

03-04 Cobra.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

well its my cousin who has the ta. ive been present and actually have .had my hand in the modifying of the car. in his and my opinion the car isnt finished. he is driving up to louisville once or twice a week and wants a car that gets better gaas mielage. he never drives the ta anymore, his main vehicle is a diesel dodge. hes married now and has 3 vehicles, no place to keep the ta, and no money. the car just sits in our grandmothers garage and collects dust. i understand why he wants to get rid of it. i know hes not trying to screw me, im just trying to figure out if its cost effective for e to do this. if money were no object id do it in a heartbeat. this is the only lt1 car i have ever loved. its probably putting out 400-450 hp na. iv grown up with the car.

he has several thousand invested in his car and i only have about 2k, but the biggest thing for me is the rebuilt title. he cant sell his car because of it. i prety much just drive short distances in town so gas mielage isnt a big deal, it gets at least 14 or 15 to the gal.

another concern is the reliability. i remember being stranded in the car many times. all of them because of the junk 4l60e. but he swears its fixed now. he has invested suposedly 3 or 4k in the trans and it aparently kept breaking because the flexplate got bent. i dont think hes lying to me, i just think he may be incorect.

ive thought about getting the car and detuning the computer back to stock to aleviate the reliability problems... until i get more money to deal with problems as they arise.

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

if you only drive one car make it reliable, unless its not important to getting to work on time. for me, i work in the rental car business, so if my car breaks down get someone from my office to pick me up and then i just rent a car cheap from work.

i would rather spend money on a car to mod it when i want to, not to repair trannys multiple times b/c i have to.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

looks like you have a decision between the evil you know and the evil you don't know. Personally, I'd have trouble giving up a car that I knew where I stood to get a modified car that I didn't.......even if the car I was keeping was a 96 stang.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I wouldn't do it, those lt1's are to problematic if you ask me and the parts are assembled in the most retarded way (ex you get a leaking water pump be prepared to get a new distributer aswell) plus like others said unless you moded the car yourself I would be weary, even if you had a "hand" in it save and get an ls1. Much more dependable powerful and better on gas.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

If it were an ls1, I would ask, "does a fat baby shit?"

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

i like ls1s but i think their rip offs. all the ones i see for sale are way too high because people think their "apprechiating" in value.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by drewhenderson13 View Post
    i like ls1s but i think their rip offs. all the ones i see for sale are way too high because people think their "apprechiating" in value.
    I have to kind of agree with you, but I've been eying up an ls1 T/A since I was about 11 years old, so it was worth every penny to me. If I had to do it all over again I'd buy a higher mileage T/A and just mod the hell out of it from scratch, but I already have the car, and it's not worth it at this point.

If you get one, you'll change your mind...TRUST ME!!! Good luck with whatever you do though!!!

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    If it were an ls1, I would ask, "does a fat baby shit?"
    lmao

im with all of them, i would rather trade the stang in for a 4-banger or something rather then a raped lt1..seen what happens to many times with those lt1's...dont change the plugs or fuel filter soon enough and it turns into a 1000$ fix and the water pump thing
    but i would rather have a stock LS1 over a stang/mod'd LT1 or a 4-banger
    even an ls1 being sock would be faster then a 400+HP car that blows the tranny out alll the time.
    good luck on the decision!

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    For the money go LS1 mustangs suk and lt1s are more complicated than they need to be
    yeah right. lt1's are so easy to modify and produce power in. simpler programming too. full bolt ons isn't worth more power than an ls1 but look into how much heads cost. you can get heads and cam for 480hp with bolt ons for a mere 1200 dollars. can you do that on an ls1?

Thread Information