Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

should i trade?

This is a discussion on should i trade? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Being born in the 70's I've seen lots and lots of "smokey/bandit" (hate those movies) cars. What are we talkin? ...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Being born in the 70's I've seen lots and lots of "smokey/bandit" (hate those movies) cars. What are we talkin? A 400 and a lousy 3spd auto. So say less than 200 hp and a trans that needs more gears? IMHO, they just suck, I think they are FUBAR and even if they came with pure gold plating for paint they would still just be a shiney POS. Also usually unless a car is TOTALLY stock all orig, and NOT modded. It will never carry anymore value than YOU place on it. No brainer really. A stock 99 Formy, is simply put, the better car. No trade.................Out of probly close to a dozen stock 400 powered mid to late 70's TA's I've seen in my life, not a single one was an actual running car!
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-22-2009 at 03:28 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

My ex bf is a stalker smartinz26's Avatar

black
    99 Firehawk

ok.. now i got the bug AGAIN, but this time its a 96 Collectors edition corvette. 70k miles lt4 6spd. needs little things like bulbs. body is mint. they appraised my car tonight we'll see what i can get away with. they beat the piss out of my car too... my clutch pedal is fucked up now.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by smartinz26 View Post
    ok.. now i got the bug AGAIN, but this time its a 96 Collectors edition corvette. 70k miles lt4 6spd. needs little things like bulbs. body is mint. they appraised my car tonight we'll see what i can get away with. they beat the piss out of my car too... my clutch pedal is fucked up now.
    if it was a zr1 maybe but the lt4 is not in a zr1. no non zr1 c4 is worth a collector 4th gen.

Black
    1999 WS6

Is it that the Firehwak isn't fast enough or are you just bored with having it?

I "ALMOST" traded my 99 WS6 for a 1975 Firebird Formula 400 4spd that I found in Georgia in excellent condition. It sounded awesome and brought back so many memories since this was my very 1st "GM" car back in the 70's.

I am SOOOOO glad that i didn't do it. These cars may not be the fastest things on the road, but when I remember back to the very first commercial advertising the 98 model with the Ram Air hood taking off from the red light, running over the competition.....to me it was love at first sight. I had enough money saved up and traded an 85 Mustang GT by the time 1999 rolled in. I still remember driving that car home. Holy shit the attention it got, and still does. They are beautiful cars....

As for a Corvette....well they are fast that's for sure. I traded my 2006 Z06 simply because of the fact that I was sick of driving it. To me the fun factor was missing. Hold on to your bowties now...I traded it for a 2009 Roush P51B. Don't hate on me for it.

All in all, the Firehawk is a special vehicle. I wouldn't dream of selling it if it were mine.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    if it was a zr1 maybe but the lt4 is not in a zr1. no non zr1 c4 is worth a collector 4th gen.
    If its a grand sport then that car is worth it for sure. The lt4 96 is a strong engine makes about the same as a ls1.

The 96 collectors edition corvette average retail from nada guides is 15,300, 96 grand sport is 23,000 average retail. 99 firehawk 12,750.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 09-10-2009 at 08:06 AM.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

whoever it was that brought third gens into this, thirdgens will probably never have any value, unless it is a rare late firehawk or a GTA, even then, in 30 40 years they wont be worth as much as a fourth gen, they had no performance and are obviously as fugly as can be,

7 years after the 4th gen was capped, mine STILL turns heads and and gets the compliments from the ladies,

7 years after the 3rd gen was, ehhh probably not so much, the 80s was just not a good time for cars in general,

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Good to hear you aren't going to trade, everyone says how much they miss their car after they get rid of it.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    If its a grand sport then that car is worth it for sure. The lt4 96 is a strong engine makes about the same as a ls1.

The 96 collectors edition corvette average retail from nada guides is 15,300, 96 grand sport is 23,000 average retail. 99 firehawk 12,750.
    my post was opinion based. i dont buy a car because its worth this much, i buy them because i like them. i dont think losing a firehawk is worth gaining a run of the mill c4. i dont like the c4s. i respect the zr1 and the vette name in general but i still am not a big fan of that gen. CE or not it means very little to nothing to me. i just dont see any reason for a nicer car to be traded for an "eh" car. c4s are more of an "i have a vette" kind of car. not necessarily "i love/enjoy my from head to toe". but again it is my opinion. very hew c4s are big head turners or talked of as power houses. they can be built to perform but most vette guys seem to like the newer stuff or alot older stuff. you get the few who are different in all groups but i like the newer stuff and alot older stuff vs 80s and early 90s stuff for f-bodies and y-bodies. that era, outside of the g-bodies(save for olds), i just dont seem to care for.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    my post was opinion based. i dont buy a car because its worth this much, i buy them because i like them. i dont think losing a firehawk is worth gaining a run of the mill c4. i dont like the c4s. i respect the zr1 and the vette name in general but i still am not a big fan of that gen. CE or not it means very little to nothing to me. i just dont see any reason for a nicer car to be traded for an "eh" car. c4s are more of an "i have a vette" kind of car. not necessarily "i love/enjoy my from head to toe". but again it is my opinion. very hew c4s are big head turners or talked of as power houses. they can be built to perform but most vette guys seem to like the newer stuff or alot older stuff. you get the few who are different in all groups but i like the newer stuff and alot older stuff vs 80s and early 90s stuff for f-bodies and y-bodies. that era, outside of the g-bodies(save for olds), i just dont seem to care for.
    Well my statement was fact based, a 96 collectors edition and grand sport both are worth more than a firehawk. Hell a grand sport will out handle a c4 zr1 on a track. And anyone who knows anything about GM engiens respects the Lt4 aswell as the lt5. The lt4 c4 vettes have gone high 12s many times in stock form, the 335 crank hp rating they were given is underrated as most dyno 300-310whp. Its not a run of the mill c4 its a collectors edition with the lt4. The c4 vettes with the crossfire tpi 245hp blah blah blah engines are worlds away from the lt4 engine vette and 93 and up suspension is much better. Im not saying he should trade, all im saying is both cars are pretty close in value so its really up to which one he likes more and nothing else should play a factor.

My ex bf is a stalker smartinz26's Avatar

black
    99 Firehawk

I had an 87 vette before i got the hawk. i really loved that car and driving that 96 ce made me miss it even more. it handled tons better than my hawk and the 87 vette... my hawk has alot of growl and grunt compared to the ce. but i can barely hold a conversation in the hawk which is bad because i'm deaf in my right ear. and the ce was really quiet on the inside so its way more refined. car for car, each dealer was asking the same price for both cars. but the ce is in better condition with less miles and will have more collector value in the future if i keep it for long which is what the goal is. its really a toss up. if anyone wants to look at my hawk i'm asking $10k obo i bought it for $11.5k 11 months ago.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Honestly Steph, you should keep it. Just my .02.

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Ok, the fact is the 76 will be slower then the 02. The fourth gen where the fastest production cars made in the firebird line. In fast, the fourth gens are faster then Cudas, GTO Judge and the Super Road Runner all stock being 14 sec cars. You can still get a Super Road Runner for under 500,000, but some of your logic, are cars are fast=BETTER. A 70's Trans Am is a diffrent experience. They are nicer looking and you feel like your driving a true muscle car. Sorry guys, are cars will be rusted out before they have the value of a 1st or 2nd. If that guy is only asking 1000 less then you paid for your car, he doesnt know what he has. Now that is a vehicle to invest in, then put in in storage till after the recetion when people want to spend money again, or until a republican gets back in.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

If I ever see something I like, trade is not an option. My bird stays with me as long as I'm alive and anything else is gravy.

Black
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

Well I have 1st gens, 2nd gens and a 4th gen... My 1st and 2nd gens are STEEL and will be around for along time...My 4th gen is composite/plastic
    and will not have the life span of the steel cars...They do drive better stock..
    but once you throw 5k at a 2nd gen in suspension and about 12-15k for drivetrain, that car will easily outperform the 4th gens...hands down...If you go to any of the big time shows with autocross or at the track, you will see mostly high dollar 2nd gens running, not 4th gens...To be honest, IN MY OPINION, the newer cars with an LS1 engine, the drivetrain will last forever
    (forget about putting 150k miles on a BBC, just wont happen) BUT the body will fall apart...The 1st and 2nd gens bodies will last forever but the engine will not last a fraction of the time a LS1 does...It is a give and take situation..

RED
    2002 FORMULA

We have two ideas and everyone right. For a DD the fourth would be the choice. If you are looking for something to stick in a garage, the second. Dont want to depend on a 30 yr old car as a daily driver.

Black
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by rideon1200 View Post
    We have two ideas and everyone right. For a DD the fourth would be the choice. If you are looking for something to stick in a garage, the second. Dont want to depend on a 30 yr old car as a daily driver.
    exactly right...HP plus + a/c and reliable=
    2001 WS6 Trans Am -Black/black,lt's,Corsa,cam,AFR's
    1980 Z-28 - Black w/ red stripes, 100% original
    1979 WS6 Trans Am -Black w/ red bird, 540/762hp
    1978 Trans Am - 400, Gold with dk gold bird
    1968 Camaro Pro-street -507/773hp, caged, tubbed
    1967 RS Camaro - Dk. Blue, white stripes, 468/476hp

black
    00 TA WS6 cnv & 98 TA WS6

I would have traded for the TA. Those cars will become harder to find in good shape and at a good price. You are treated differently at car shows when you show up with an older car also. Fourth gens will be easier to come by if you choose to get another later on.
    I believe the VALUE is how the car makes you feel when you see and hear it. A car as an investment is risky. Keep in mind there is "book value" and "real value". Real value what someone is willing to pay for it, reguardless of what book value is. I have a '00 WS6 conv. that I was going to trade in on a new Challenger to keep my payments low. Everytime I see the front of my WS6, I say to my myself "Damn! That car is bad!" So now it sits next to my new Challenger and I get the same feeling from both - there's hell to be raised in the neighborhood!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information