Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I buy a Formula?

Hey guys, I'm having mixed feelings on buying a firebird. I'm definitely getting one just not for aure which. I want to get the ws6 since it is the big dog but I'm not for sure. I found a 99 Formula with 95k miles and in immaculate condition. Should I go with it for $5500 or just wait and get a 120-130k mile ws6 for about $9000? Any opinion will help!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mcantrail08; 08-30-2016 at 06:28 PM.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I'd get which ever is cheaper and better condition. You can mod it to be faster easy and do appearance mods to make it look aggressive. I'd do this especially if there really is a $4000 difference in price.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

That's what i was thinking. I feel like my buddy was just saying to get the ws6 since he has one, but this one here appearance wise looks just like a ws6 besides the hood. I'm goinf to look at it tomorrow and probably make a decision then. If i can save $4k I can just use that for the performance "upgrades" it doesn't have.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I understand your reservations. But I think the primary deciding factor is to consider what the WS6 has that the Formula doesn't and then determine whether those things are things that you would "upgrade" even if you did get the WS6.

If I had it to do all over again, I am reasonably sure that all of the mods I would do to a Z28 are also mods I would do to an SS. Therefore, the extra money spent on the front end would be wasted, since those parts would be coming off anyway.

I am sure that my Z is a "better" car than a stock SS, and that is without accounting for the engine internals that it has (the suspension/chassis upgrades take it beyond what an SS has, for example), and I didn't pay a premium for parts I won't be using.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

See that's the thing, most of the mods the ws6 has, I would still be upgrading. Suspension would all be new, sway bars, lcas all of that. Therefore, I think i should go with the formula. I don't want to so i can have the title of ws6 but I believe it'll be the better deal for my budget. I can either dump $10k on a ws6 and wait a few month's for mods, or get the formula and start immediately.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Well, I honestly don't really see enough of a difference between the formula and the WS6 to fret over the details, anyway. They both have the same powertrain, so....

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Like Will stated get it if it's a solid car. For $4k everything that makes a WS6 "slightly" better is replaceable for much better parts period.

I wanted a WS6 or Firehawk when I was doing my search and ended up with a stock Trans Am. I knew going in that I was going to build it up and after researching these cars heavily I figure it was far cheaper to get a stock TA and go from there then to pay $2-3k more for what would end up being a badge. With $4k you can have ALL of the suspension upgraded and even get an aftermarket hood like the WSQ (which I have and think looks far better than a WS6 hood) and still have some $$$ for other stuff.

I picked up a broken WS6 airlid tray base for free and repaired it, you can't tell it was even broken in 2 unless I show you where it's at.
    Wheels - you have tons of options over the stock WS6 17" wheels, 16" for a Formula.

Only major cosmetic difference is the nose piece. Formulas have the Firebird nose and not like the Trans Am nose. The fog lights are towards the outside for FB's while on a TA they are closer to the license plate.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

It already has the appearance as a ws6 with the rear bumper, front bumper, side skirts and even the wing. It pretty much looks like one besides the hood but I should be going to pick it up Sunday

I just picked up a Formula a couple weeks back w/a Procharger and only 32k miles...I felt the same way going in; why spend the extra coin on a higher mileage WS6 or SS, when other than appearance, I plan on upgrading the suspension, exhaust, and wheels anyways, regardless of model...I do want a nicer hood, and rear bumper one day, but not top priority...the complimentary mods to the Procharger are higher priority

Silver
    1995 Firehawk

Nothing wrong with getting a Formula. Our Firehawk is a Formula and we love it.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Save the money and do the mods to a formula
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Thanks guy I'll find out if i can go and get it today. If so it'll be a nice 6 hour drive

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

x2 buy the Formula. As time goes on and these cars get more rare and beaten down, certain things we can't b e picky on. I myself was wanting a WS6 for the Trans Am bumpers/trimmings, hood, and the badge. I wanted a solid car to be a small project power-wise, but not body wise.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Quote Originally Posted by mcantrail08 View Post
    Thanks guy I'll find out if i can go and get it today. If so it'll be a nice 6 hour drive

Did ya get it?

No not yet. Im taking Sunday off to go pick it up. It's a 6 hour drive from where I am

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by mcantrail08 View Post
    See that's the thing, most of the mods the ws6 has, I would still be upgrading. Suspension would all be new, sway bars, lcas all of that. Therefore, I think i should go with the formula. I don't want to so i can have the title of ws6 but I believe it'll be the better deal for my budget. I can either dump $10k on a ws6 and wait a few month's for mods, or get the formula and start immediately.

Some things for you to chew on:

98-99 (maybe 00 also, cant remember for sure), the WS6 package was available for both the Formula and the Trans Am. A Formula WS6 , appearance wise, would only have the different hood, wheels/tires, exhaust, and the WS6 badge (although the 98 was a single outlet tailpipe). It wouldnt take much to make a Formula WS6 clone if you want the look.

$5,500 is a great price for a low milage car (get that confirmed with Carfax or something like it), that looks in great shape. If I had the money sitting around, I would have already been there to check it out.

$5,500.00 plus heads/cam/tune, LT headers and exhaust, wheels and tires, could get you a 13k-ish investment that would stomp down just about anything on the street, and have fun doing it.

Black & pewter
    2002 Formula & 1999 TA

Just so you know, the red car in the picture is a TA, not a Formula.

Thread Information