Should I buy a 9 Trans Am with the LS1 engine for $3250?

Hello all. I am very new to the forum, just wondering if I could get an opinion from you all. It has the LS1 engine. It is a Firebird Trans Am. Looks to be in good condition exterior wise. Engine looks clean (from the pictures). Rub marks on the front bumper, looks like they rubbed a pole or something. It has leather interior which looked great from the pictures. I could see a door handle was missing on the drivers side. Not sure what to do. It has 132,500 miles on it. is that too much for this type of engine? Owner is a female non-smoker. Also has new daytime running lights, new radiator and hoses, new KATECH high performance tension pulley, new front brake rotors,and pads, new tires. What do you folks think? Any advice is greatley appreciated.

2002 CETA 6M COUPE

i think you meant 99?? right?

well.... $3,250 is rather low... but hey if it turns out to be a complete disaster... you can probably pick up a LS6 for like $5k.

Problem solved.

Sorry, its a 98, i must have missed a key I think the price is low, just not sure about the car, dont know alot about them. Is that too many miles for the engine type? Could it be close to worn out? Thanks for the help.

here are some pics

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&aff=sherald#7
    Last edited by triplepz2003; 01-22-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Well the car is in Metairie, LA / which is right by New Orleans. I would definately check the hell out of it. (water damage)

From what I've heard these engines will last well over 200K. Like previously said you could put in a new LS6 for the price difference.

2002 CETA 6M COUPE

it could... but it couldn't be at the same time. i always try to stay from cars listed as "adult-female non-smoker owned"...

that usually means some kid beat the shit out of the car and asked him mom or aunt to say its hers.

but like i said... even if the engine is shot or soon to be... you could make it a project car. pick up an LS6 or fine... rebuild the LS1.

That's what I'd do.

I think i may offer her about 2000 or 1500, see if she bites..then i wont be out too much if she accepts.. we'll see... any more is appreciated.

Red
    1996 Firebird Formula

Wow. I was looking at that very car yesterday thinking about buying it as my next project. (it at least needs some body work)
    Decided against it because the price makes me very suspicious. Thats about 3K under what that car would normally go for. If I wanted a basket case I'd buy a salvage body and fix it. At least I'd know what was wrong just by looking at it and not discover problems 4 months later.

Ultimately I said no because I just couldnt drive that far to look at a car unless I was sure I was going to buy it and Im not going to buy a car that cheap without looking at it and driving it.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

doesn't matter if the owner was a girl or a guy; if it has a performance pulley, it was probably raced at least a bit.

the car has been in probably 3 accidents. Driver rear fender is repainted, passenger front fender is repainted, driver headlight is damaged, hood doesn't line up with passanger healight right (that could be because hood is aftermarket).

It probably has suspension problems from the crashes + miles. Take it on the highway and see how it handles. The interior does look good though so maybe the person took care of it, but ended up in a big accident. Carfax it.

If you plan on getting a LS1 either way, I'd wait for one with a better history. If its that or a Focus, buy it for $2-3k, then fix the headlight and paint it when you get the money.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Looks like a great project car too me. I bet that car sat through some flooding though. For 3k, i dont think i could pass it up. Trailer it home and get to work.
    99 TA-T56 swapped, Lid, TB Bypass, LS6 Intake, !EGR, !AIR, Custom Cam, Mids, O/R-Y, 3:73s, Cutout, Flowmaster.
    A4 numbers w/ mids only 320RWHP 333RWTQ
    Cam numbers and track times soon.

98 NBM Hardtop Formula- Bone stock, A4, 187,000 miles
    13.8@ 103 2.1 60' 1357 DA

she says that it is "truly fun to drive" so I am assuming that it runs.

White
    99 Pontiac Trans Am #2466

Hey....

Quote Originally Posted by triplepz2003 View Post
    she says that it is "truly fun to drive" so I am assuming that it runs.
    That's the same one that I offered to by from her(see Deal or no Deal thread).....she won't go below $3100 cuz she is getting deployed to Iraq. It's a deal if you got it.

Old: 00 WS6, 02 Z06, 79TA
    11 F350 CC 6.7L

Hmm the passenger side is missing the lower trim too. I would definitely run a carfax. Test drive it and get it up to high speed to see if the suspension starts shaking. It seems like it would make a good project car.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I would be very careful....if its too good to be true it probably is...good car to fix up though

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

^ considering the condition it is in, I wouldn't call it too good to be true. Its priced about right, if running well. The car in good condition is worth about $7k and that easily has $4k worth of body damage/paint.

NBM
    99 TA

fuck i'd buy it... throw a PS ground effect on it, Maaco Paint job, back on the market for 7000

2002 CETA 6M COUPE

^^... then do it... lol. I don't know... maybe I'm just cynical and automatically expect the worst in people... but I wouldn't trust her. Maybe I am too cynical... lol.

But hey... it's like I said at first and I love how people back me up... if it's gonna be a project go for it!!! If it's gonna be your main mode of transport... BE CAREFUL.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by TopForm11 View Post
    I would be very careful....if its too good to be true it probably is...good car to fix up though
    i agree. if you're looking to build a drag car, go for it. Look for something better if you want a nice cruiser

Thread Information