red
    2001 ws6 trans am a4

Cool Shocks or struts?

Does our cars have shocks or struts? The reason I ask is that my extended warrenty only covers struts.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

shocks all around

front has coil overs, rear has live axle

red
    2001 ws6 trans am a4

Thanks!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    shocks all around

front has coil overs, rear has live axle
    Incorrect, the front are struts and the rear are shocks.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

No, they are not considered struts. i suppose a warranty company may consider them that, but its not a traditional strut. i think the reason they arent considered that, is because a strut doesnt use an upper control arm and it mounts to the spindle. "Coilovers should not be confused with struts or independently mounted shock absorbers." that was taken right from the definition on wikipedia, (which i know isnt always 100% correct) thats just how ive always thought of them too. but i could be wrong.
    Last edited by mpfranks; 07-20-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Just saying this. Shocks and struts are the same thing. Don't hate me! lol. Im just saying this cause when I went to UTI They taught us in steering & suspension that there is no difference in the two, except for in the way they are mounted if you are getting Struts/shocks you just have to let them know if it's the front or rear. Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings did not mean to.
    98 Trans Am Custom Paint, Ghost Skuls On Racing Stripe + Custom Front Lip, :MODs Tubular K-member, Tubular Upper and lower A-arms, Tubular Control Arms, 4:10's, Cam L-.567/.575 D@.05-.212/.218,1.85 Roller Rockers, P&P Heads, ARH Headers & HF Cats & Y-Pipe, SLP loudmouth catback, +'s

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    No, they are not considered struts. i suppose a warranty company may consider them that, but its not a traditional strut. i think the reason they arent considered that, is because a strut doesnt use an upper control arm and it mounts to the spindle. "Coilovers should not be confused with struts or independently mounted shock absorbers." that was taken right from the definition on wikipedia, (which i know isnt always 100% correct) thats just how ive always thought of them too. but i could be wrong.
    A traditional SLA (Short-Long Arm) suspension design consists of a lower control arm, upper control arm, and a coil spring between either the lower arm or upper arm and the frame. Look at any 2WD Chevy S10 pickup and you can see this design, the coil is between the lower arm and the frame, and a shock is mounted separately. That is a traditional SLA suspension, but is nothing like whats on our cars.

Most refer to the 4th gen suspension design as SLA Strut front suspension because it doesn't have any coil spring between either of the control arms and the frame like a traditional design does. The load is on the upper strut mount and the chassis, as opposed being low on a frame. Unlike a traditional shock, the shock (strut) carries the spring and supports the weight of the car. Which is why its considered an SLA strut design as opposed to just having shocks.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Customta98 View Post
    Just saying this. Shocks and struts are the same thing. Don't hate me! lol. Im just saying this cause when I went to UTI They taught us in steering & suspension that there is no difference in the two, except for in the way they are mounted if you are getting Struts/shocks you just have to let them know if it's the front or rear. Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings did not mean to.
    Not true.

Shocks don't bear the load of the vehicle, carry weight, or locate a suspension in place. They are merely attached between two components to dampen movement.

Struts can both bear weight as well as locate a suspension component, such as in a Macpherson strut design, where is controls movement of the entire front end as well as carries the weight of the vehicle. On our cars, the struts don't control lateral movement, but they do carry the load.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Not true.

Shocks don't bear the load of the vehicle, carry weight, or locate a suspension in place. They are merely attached between two components to dampen movement.

Struts can both bear weight as well as locate a suspension component, such as in a Macpherson strut design, where is controls movement of the entire front end as well as carries the weight of the vehicle. On our cars, the struts don't control lateral movement, but they do carry the load.
    Shocks/struts don't carry a load that is the springs job. If you don't believe me then take this example. If some one buys a spring kit to lower their car and they don't change out the shock/struts only the springs the car still gets lowered, now I have seen this and installed many suspensions in various cars not just f-bodys and it is the same every time, if struts as you say cary the load then when you drop a car with springs it would not drop at all and would be held up by the strut but that dose not happen the car drops down and the strut dose its job and dampens the bumps that you hit on the road so you do not feel how ever the spring dose also help dampen the bumps you feel. But the strut dose not cary any load what so ever, if you were to remove the spring completely the car would sit on the ground not be held up by the strut/shock, so I'm still saying shocks and struts are the same thing and do the same thing help dampen your ride and make it more comfortable to drive a car down the road.

Thread Information