Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

SES light.. wuts the code mean

Well after deleting my codes a few weeks back, the light came on again. So i hooked up the software to see wut was wrong and the code read "catalyst efficiany threshhold bank 1" ????? Gotta be the cats. The car smells like somehings burning when it reaches operating temp and doesnt go away. Shud i just rip the cats off and run a ORY untill the next inspection date?

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Good question. Mine came on last week and said code P0430. Also low efficiancy bank 2. Back in December I got a letter from pontiac saying that they were extending my warrenty on the cats and if there was a problem they would replace them at no charge. I thought I would give it a try and see if that would fix it, but I haven't been able to do it yet.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen WS6 View Post
    Good question. Mine came on last week and said code P0430. Also low efficiancy bank 2. Back in December I got a letter from pontiac saying that they were extending my warrenty on the cats and if there was a problem they would replace them at no charge. I thought I would give it a try and see if that would fix it, but I haven't been able to do it yet.
    I had mine replaced about a year ago for this same problem!! my ses light came on and i took it to the dealership that i bought it from and sure enough they fixed it at no charge!!

Black
    2000 WS6

I myself would not touch (remove) the cat(s) if you have emissions inspection in your state, it's just not worth the hassle.

When we bought our WS6 last month, it had a light on, and they said they had already made an appointment to have it fixed. The next week, the appointment came around, and off to the local GM dealership it went.

She came back with, you guessed it, brand new cat(s?), and O2 sensors.

I dug through the TSB's and recalls for the car, and I can't find anything mentioned about the cat's, save for one TSB, referring to the usage of certain alarm systems, and their ability to cause damage to the cat's.

Sure seems to be a pretty consistent problem though.

Cat inefficiency code for bank 1 - drivers side is (P0420). Unfortunately for the original poster the extended GM 10yr/120K cat warranty only applies to the '00-'02 cars. There's an outside chance it could be something else like the post cat 02 sensor, but usually it's the cat, especially if it's overheating. Won't hurt to look up the code/diagnostics at www.gearchatter.com I'd either gut the cats or do away with them depending on your state's inspection. Another option is buying a used one from someone doing LTs.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

So can I assume that gm updated the cats so this won't happen again. Since next time I may have to pay for it. I am tossing around the thought of having LTs put on since I can get a seasonal waiver to get around IM's. We only have to get an inspection every other year for now. I think I'll let gm pay for it this time and if it happens again I'll go with the LT's.

Thread Information