Thread: seat backs

Mystic Teal Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

seat backs

I've got a 2001 T/A with very light, almost not noticable scratches in the seat backs. I have a 2002 with very noticable but not very deep scratches.
    I would like to repair this but do not know how. Replacements are not available in black. They are all gone. I had my local dealer, who I bought the cars from when new, do a nationwide search and there are no more. I can get neutral color but not black. Anyway I was told that you can use a heat gun and if you are careful they will disappear. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone out there know of a sure way to fix this?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I don't know how to fix that but if that's your car in your avatar then I demand some pics!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My best guess is that the seat backs need to be removed and the area around the scratches blended in somehow. The seat backs could then be painted with an automotive interior paint. I would practice this technique on a junkyard panel first though to see what kind of results you get.

Another option would be to cover the existing panel with a thin vinyl overlay. You would need to experiment with a spray adhesive to determine what works best to adhere it to the panel. How about some pics of the damaged panels?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    I don't know how to fix that but if that's your car in your avatar then I demand some pics!
    this.

here are your other options beside vinyl(which is probably my favorite option):
    1) the heat gun, it works, SORT OF, the plastic is textured and when you heat and 'smooth' it, you end up with noticable flat spots on the plastic, it will work better on the decorative 'ripples' on the side of the seat that often get scratched by the seat belt.

2) new seat backs, typically not a good idea to buy used ones because they will also probably be scratched, check places like year one or classic industries for new ones that will be expensive if you find them.

3) heavy grit sand, then light grit sand, wetsand, and polish(optional). this will smooth out the plastic and give it a whole new life, the procedure is not hard but will take time. adding a polish finish will protect it from light future damage

edit:
    I have done all of the fixes including the vinyl, that was my favorite and it turned out the best, the key thing to note is that you do need to find the thinest vinyl possible, it will strech and mould better than a thicker sheet will. upholstry shops usually sell vinyl by the square yard for dirt cheap.

2nd edit:
    there is another technique I have yet to try, it involves using the heat gun as well..

the object is to make a hard, negative mold of the texture of the plastic, that you can press onto the hot malleable plastic giving it a uniform look instead being smooth..

you would need somekind of clay or epoxy that you could press onto a flat, unscratched section of plastic, and peel off once it was hardened or dryed. giving you a 'stamp' with a negative texture of the plastic.

I would probably use a lighter instead of a heat gun to get a more focused area of heat directly over the scratch.
    Last edited by justinmc978; 02-26-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There is another method I just remembered. I have seen repairs to damaged interior pieces on older vehicles that turn out amazingly nice. The damaged area is filled using either an epoxy or plastic weld and then sanded smooth. The part is then sprayed with texturized undercoating and then topcoated in the correct color. This leaves a uniform textured surface and the repaired areas should be invisible.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

I appreciate the info. thanks for the interest in more pics. cardomain.com
    search gr879ta here you will see pics of my 10th anniversary, 2002 and this 2001. the 2001 has been to many shows. T/A nats, Tri-Power in Norwalk, Stars in Florida and has won 1st, 2nd and 3rd many times over.

Thread Information