Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Thumbs up Salvage yards rock

Was at a local salvage pullin stuff for my buddies old ford pick up we're rebuildin. Ended up picking up a fuse box cover i was missing and a replacement seat belt guide that a friend had busted gettin out of my backseat. My bird is all parts complete again!

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

nice!!!!!!!

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

does anybody else like to go to a salvage yard just to try and find something,kinda like a automotive treasure hunt? there has been many occasions when i would go with a friend of mine to get something for his car and find stuff i couldn't resist.there is a fourth-gen f-body salvage yard about 100 miles up the interstate from me,wife and i went last year,got a headlight connector,but damn at all the f-bodys,mostly lt1 stuff but plenty of body parts,and the owner told me ram-air t/a hoods and high spoiler t/a hatches were the most popular items sold.

sunset orange/ black
    two 2001 ws6 m6

i went to one last week with a buddy,as he was doin his thing i walked the entire yard and did not see one f body.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am a big fan of the junk yard treasure hunt. Unfortunately, our local salvage yards are almost devoid of F-bodies. At one time, my favorite had an entire F-body section. However, since the 4th gen came out they have stopped acquiring them.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    does anybody else like to go to a salvage yard just to try and find something,kinda like a automotive treasure hunt? there has been many occasions when i would go with a friend of mine to get something for his car and find stuff i couldn't resist.there is a fourth-gen f-body salvage yard about 100 miles up the interstate from me,wife and i went last year,got a headlight connector,but damn at all the f-bodys,mostly lt1 stuff but plenty of body parts,and the owner told me ram-air t/a hoods and high spoiler t/a hatches were the most popular items sold.
    I'm originally from LA. I was scrounging wrecking yards in the late 70's thru the early 90's and taking the parts to swap meets. You can imagine the things I found. Muscle car parts galore! I was like a kid in a candy shop.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I'm originally from LA. I was scrounging wrecking yards in the late 70's thru the early 90's and taking the parts to swap meets. You can imagine the things I found. Muscle car parts galore! I was like a kid in a candy shop.

If only I knew then what I know now. Probably could have retired already!

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

They only had one f bod at this yard. May be due to so many being parted out instead of salvaged? That or when someone wrecks 'em, they just disintegrate.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    Are you talking about the one in Calera or Chelsea ( I cannot remember which name)?

If so I called him once and he told me to come on out he would gladly help me find what I wanted. Seemed like a nice guy.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by weberje View Post
    Was at a local salvage pullin stuff for my buddies old ford pick up we're rebuildin. Ended up picking up a fuse box cover i was missing and a replacement seat belt guide that a friend had busted gettin out of my backseat. My bird is all parts complete again!
    I'm near by where did you go and do they have a WS6 hood?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

salvage yards are amazing. The other day someone lost control on the ice and gave a love tap to my saturn. Left some scuff marks on the drivers quarter and rear rim. I wouldn't mind that since it's a DD beater.... but he cracked the quarter.... from 10 feet you can't tell but a crack is a crack so i told him if i could find a suitable replacement i'd let him walk just for the cost of the part. Made a phone call to my father who looked up the quarter panel on car-part.com found one in PA. From the same year same color.... price shipped??? 100 bucks. SWEET DEAL!!! it's cleaning up real nice. can't wait to put it on fingers crossed the color matches exactly lol

I should clarify a little... lol my father found it after a short search. I called them and inquired about shipping and part condition. After agreeing to the price i gave them my info. The guy happened to have the cash on him so he paid me and took off. The part showed up at my door the next day and i've been busy polishing out all the imperfections.... while i have a low mile garage kept 1997 SC2..... this was obviously an outdoor car lol. nothing too bad though. better than the little crack on mine anyway
    Last edited by LSCyaL8R; 03-01-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

pm responded

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Dabom75 View Post
    Are you talking about the one in Calera or Chelsea ( I cannot remember which name)?

If so I called him once and he told me to come on out he would gladly help me find what I wanted. Seemed like a nice guy.
    yes Calera,just south of Birmingham,Billy Grahams Camaro. and he is a great guy,spent a hour walking around the yard with me and the wife,just talking cars. i would recommend him to all of y'all who need a 4th gen f-body part(sorry Iroc he only has fourth gens)1-205-668-1169

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I am a big fan of the junk yard treasure hunt. Unfortunately, our local salvage yards are almost devoid of F-bodies. At one time, my favorite had an entire F-body section. However, since the 4th gen came out they have stopped acquiring them.
    yeah... it's extremely rare that f-bodies and vettes make it to them in our area... they get sent to some company to be parted out... i'd like that companies name...

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

gmpartsdirect

Thread Information