Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 223
Like Tree2Likes

The Saga of the Trans Am Parking light

This is a discussion on The Saga of the Trans Am Parking light within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by psalongo Thanks nichoLaS1 and JayTA98. I'll look underneath the bumper between now and the weekend and follow ...

  1. #161
    Member nichoLaS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    330

    Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by psalongo View Post
    Thanks nichoLaS1 and JayTA98. I'll look underneath the bumper between now and the weekend and follow the instructions. I really appreciate the response.
    You're welcome.... welcome to the site btw

  2. #162
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by psalongo View Post
    Thanks nichoLaS1 and JayTA98. I'll look underneath the bumper between now and the weekend and follow the instructions. I really appreciate the response.
    your welcome. Let us know if you need anymore help.

  3. #163
    Junior Member AtLarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    65

    Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

    Hope you don't mind me chiming in here. I used the switchbacks from Superlumination 3157's. They said I should use the equalizers but I am going to chance it and see how long they last. I did use an LED flasher but the hazards still work? I thought there were supposed to be two flashers but I couldn't find the second one.

    Daytime running and running / driving lights only they are yellow only:

    running.jpg

    When the headlights are on they turn to white. When you hit the turn signals or hazards button they flash white to yellow.


  4. #164
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    here is a write up that shows where the flashers are:
    How to replace your turn signal and hazard flashers

    As far as the LED's i had issues with them. the solder is melting away and causing the amber to stop working. I sent the bulbs in and waiting on a resolution. I don't think the LED's can handle the DRLs.

  5. #165
    Junior Member AtLarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    65

    Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

    Good link. Thanks!

  6. #166
    Senior Member wileyCoyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Centerville OH
    Posts
    1,590

    blue
    1999 TransAm

    well now i gotta fix socket on the drivers side (must be bad karma)... i ordered a new housing too because it's got a ton of cracks on it (looks like crap too).. sounds like jay98ta is having problems w/ the VLEDs, ...i guess i'm just gonna put use the regular 3157 bulbs again until we get better LED products out there...

  7. #167
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
    Good link. Thanks!
    No problem

  8. #168
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    well now i gotta fix socket on the drivers side (must be bad karma)... i ordered a new housing too because it's got a ton of cracks on it (looks like crap too).. sounds like jay98ta is having problems w/ the VLEDs, ...i guess i'm just gonna put use the regular 3157 bulbs again until we get better LED products out there...
    yup willey im kinda giving up in these LEDS. Im just going to run regular bulbs in them and if the socket goes bad then replace them when needed.

  9. #169
    Member TransAmTerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Abingdon, Md
    Posts
    205

    black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

    DRL's

    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    yup willey im kinda giving up in these LEDS. Im just going to run regular bulbs in them and if the socket goes bad then replace them when needed.
    I posted a while back with the steps I took to fix DRL problems and said I'd get to you all and report on how my "fix" turned out. Well, happy to report I've had no further problems at all !! ( not sure how far back my post is). IT is definetly heat and moisture build-up which the vent holes seem to take care of. I still just can't see where the hassle of the LED's is worth it. just my 2 cents. BTW,,, did the same thing with my tail lights - no more water in them either. Can any one say " DESIGN FLAW " all together now !!

  10. #170
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,167

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by TransAmTerry View Post
    I posted a while back with the steps I took to fix DRL problems and said I'd get to you all and report on how my "fix" turned out. Well, happy to report I've had no further problems at all !! ( not sure how far back my post is). IT is definetly heat and moisture build-up which the vent holes seem to take care of. I still just can't see where the hassle of the LED's is worth it. just my 2 cents. BTW,,, did the same thing with my tail lights - no more water in them either. Can any one say " DESIGN FLAW " all together now !!
    Design flaw? I've never had, nor heard of anyone else, with water in the taillights. Unless there is a crack in the lens or a bad seal somewhere.

    I agree with you about the LEDs tho, I don't care for the ''instantness'' of LEDs for turn signals, nor how they are not as bright. Brake lights maybe.

  11. #171
    Senior Member justinmc978's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    college station, tx
    Posts
    2,564

    sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Design flaw? I've never had, nor heard of anyone else, with water in the taillights. Unless there is a crack in the lens or a bad seal somewhere.
    often times you will see a firebird running around with one really dark taillight (saw a CETA yesterday with that condition actually) its because water condenses inside the housing and ruins the chrome finish that reflects light. there are various solutions, mine was drilling 4 holes in the bottom of it, not a droplet since.

  12. #172
    Senior Member GULLETT17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    2,554

    00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

    ive even seen a bird taillight with an inch or two of water in it!

  13. #173
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    ive even seen a bird taillight with an inch or two of water in it!
    That's the race track water level upgrade. is a quick way to check if the car is level...

  14. #174
    Senior Member GULLETT17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    2,554

    00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    That's the race track water level upgrade. is a quick way to check if the car is level...
    aaaah i see

  15. #175
    Junior Member AtLarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    65

    Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

    Quote Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
    They said I should use the equalizers but I am going to chance it and see how long they last.
    Well, that didn't take long. Burned out the yellow and it stuck on white. I could just add the resistors but I didn't like the idea of crimping in an area constantly getting wet. Not to mention to working inside that little access door. So, back to incandescents. My originals lasted 12 years so I'll just hope I get that out of the new ones. If not, they will probably still have aftermarkets available. (fingers and eyes crossed)
    I was here before the server crashed.

  16. #176
    Senior Member GULLETT17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    2,554

    00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

    UPDATE:
    I noticed that the driver's side light wasn't working last week. I took it out and guess what? CORROSION on the contacts. The housing and the socket seal all still look fine. It looks like the LED conversion is still not the perfect fix. I cleaned the contacts and the light come back on fine. But this corrosion could still potentially ruin the LED bulb.

  17. #177
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    UPDATE:
    I noticed that the driver's side light wasn't working last week. I took it out and guess what? CORROSION on the contacts. The housing and the socket seal all still look fine. It looks like the LED conversion is still not the perfect fix. I cleaned the contacts and the light come back on fine. But this corrosion could still potentially ruin the LED bulb.
    Why are you getting corrosion?

    I've never had this problem with the camaro's I've owned for years. Is this a firebird issue?

  18. #178
    Senior Member Schmalgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alpharetta, Ga
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,060

    04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

    I haven't read all the pages here, but have you used dielectric grease? I had the same problem with the socket getting corroded, bulbs burning out regularly, and dielectric grease solved the problem for me...

  19. #179
    Senior Member Schmalgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alpharetta, Ga
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,060

    04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Is this a firebird issue?
    Yes, one of the more infamous Firebird issues. The bulb loads from the bottom up, so it sits in the bottom of the light well. Invariably, the housing cracks, water gets into the housing and pools up on the bottom, soaking into the socket and blowing the bulbs and corroding the sockets...

  20. #180
    Senior Member GULLETT17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    2,554

    00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Why are you getting corrosion?

    I've never had this problem with the camaro's I've owned for years. Is this a firebird issue?
    Schmalgar's explanation is a good summary of why the corrosion usually happens (more prevalent on Trans Ams, not Firebirds). However, in this case, I don't know what's causing it. There is no sign of moisture, no cracks in the housings, and the foam seal on the housing looks fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    I haven't read all the pages here, but have you used dielectric grease? I had the same problem with the socket getting corroded, bulbs burning out regularly, and dielectric grease solved the problem for me...
    Yes, I did use dielectric grease, and it was still on it last week. I'm tempted to say that the dielectric grease may have actually help cause the corrosion, but that's hard to believe.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. the trans mount saga
    By TransAm11973 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-17-2009, 07:02 AM
  2. 98-02 Trans-am Parking Light assembly
    By Racquetballryan in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2006, 11:48 AM
  3. Trans Am front parking light bulb socket
    By sk8runeg in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2006, 06:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •