Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

The Saga of the Trans Am Parking light

This is a discussion on The Saga of the Trans Am Parking light within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by psalongo Thanks nichoLaS1 and JayTA98. I'll look underneath the bumper between now and the weekend and follow ...

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by psalongo View Post
    Thanks nichoLaS1 and JayTA98. I'll look underneath the bumper between now and the weekend and follow the instructions. I really appreciate the response.
    You're welcome.... welcome to the site btw

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by psalongo View Post
    Thanks nichoLaS1 and JayTA98. I'll look underneath the bumper between now and the weekend and follow the instructions. I really appreciate the response.
    your welcome. Let us know if you need anymore help.

Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

Hope you don't mind me chiming in here. I used the switchbacks from Superlumination 3157's. They said I should use the equalizers but I am going to chance it and see how long they last. I did use an LED flasher but the hazards still work? I thought there were supposed to be two flashers but I couldn't find the second one.

Daytime running and running / driving lights only they are yellow only:

running.jpg

When the headlights are on they turn to white. When you hit the turn signals or hazards button they flash white to yellow.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

here is a write up that shows where the flashers are:
    How to replace your turn signal and hazard flashers

As far as the LED's i had issues with them. the solder is melting away and causing the amber to stop working. I sent the bulbs in and waiting on a resolution. I don't think the LED's can handle the DRLs.

Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

Good link. Thanks!

blue
    1999 TransAm

well now i gotta fix socket on the drivers side (must be bad karma)... i ordered a new housing too because it's got a ton of cracks on it (looks like crap too).. sounds like jay98ta is having problems w/ the VLEDs, ...i guess i'm just gonna put use the regular 3157 bulbs again until we get better LED products out there...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
    Good link. Thanks!
    No problem

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    well now i gotta fix socket on the drivers side (must be bad karma)... i ordered a new housing too because it's got a ton of cracks on it (looks like crap too).. sounds like jay98ta is having problems w/ the VLEDs, ...i guess i'm just gonna put use the regular 3157 bulbs again until we get better LED products out there...
    yup willey im kinda giving up in these LEDS. Im just going to run regular bulbs in them and if the socket goes bad then replace them when needed.

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

DRL's

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    yup willey im kinda giving up in these LEDS. Im just going to run regular bulbs in them and if the socket goes bad then replace them when needed.
    I posted a while back with the steps I took to fix DRL problems and said I'd get to you all and report on how my "fix" turned out. Well, happy to report I've had no further problems at all !! ( not sure how far back my post is). IT is definetly heat and moisture build-up which the vent holes seem to take care of. I still just can't see where the hassle of the LED's is worth it. just my 2 cents. BTW,,, did the same thing with my tail lights - no more water in them either. Can any one say " DESIGN FLAW " all together now !!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmTerry View Post
    I posted a while back with the steps I took to fix DRL problems and said I'd get to you all and report on how my "fix" turned out. Well, happy to report I've had no further problems at all !! ( not sure how far back my post is). IT is definetly heat and moisture build-up which the vent holes seem to take care of. I still just can't see where the hassle of the LED's is worth it. just my 2 cents. BTW,,, did the same thing with my tail lights - no more water in them either. Can any one say " DESIGN FLAW " all together now !!
    Design flaw? I've never had, nor heard of anyone else, with water in the taillights. Unless there is a crack in the lens or a bad seal somewhere.

I agree with you about the LEDs tho, I don't care for the ''instantness'' of LEDs for turn signals, nor how they are not as bright. Brake lights maybe.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Design flaw? I've never had, nor heard of anyone else, with water in the taillights. Unless there is a crack in the lens or a bad seal somewhere.
    often times you will see a firebird running around with one really dark taillight (saw a CETA yesterday with that condition actually) its because water condenses inside the housing and ruins the chrome finish that reflects light. there are various solutions, mine was drilling 4 holes in the bottom of it, not a droplet since.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

ive even seen a bird taillight with an inch or two of water in it!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    ive even seen a bird taillight with an inch or two of water in it!
    That's the race track water level upgrade. is a quick way to check if the car is level...

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    That's the race track water level upgrade. is a quick way to check if the car is level...
    aaaah i see

Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

Quote Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
    They said I should use the equalizers but I am going to chance it and see how long they last.
    Well, that didn't take long. Burned out the yellow and it stuck on white. I could just add the resistors but I didn't like the idea of crimping in an area constantly getting wet. Not to mention to working inside that little access door. So, back to incandescents. My originals lasted 12 years so I'll just hope I get that out of the new ones. If not, they will probably still have aftermarkets available. (fingers and eyes crossed)
    I was here before the server crashed.

UPDATE:
    I noticed that the driver's side light wasn't working last week. I took it out and guess what? CORROSION on the contacts. The housing and the socket seal all still look fine. It looks like the LED conversion is still not the perfect fix. I cleaned the contacts and the light come back on fine. But this corrosion could still potentially ruin the LED bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    UPDATE:
    I noticed that the driver's side light wasn't working last week. I took it out and guess what? CORROSION on the contacts. The housing and the socket seal all still look fine. It looks like the LED conversion is still not the perfect fix. I cleaned the contacts and the light come back on fine. But this corrosion could still potentially ruin the LED bulb.
    Why are you getting corrosion?

I've never had this problem with the camaro's I've owned for years. Is this a firebird issue?

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I haven't read all the pages here, but have you used dielectric grease? I had the same problem with the socket getting corroded, bulbs burning out regularly, and dielectric grease solved the problem for me...

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Is this a firebird issue?
    Yes, one of the more infamous Firebird issues. The bulb loads from the bottom up, so it sits in the bottom of the light well. Invariably, the housing cracks, water gets into the housing and pools up on the bottom, soaking into the socket and blowing the bulbs and corroding the sockets...

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Why are you getting corrosion?

I've never had this problem with the camaro's I've owned for years. Is this a firebird issue?
    Schmalgar's explanation is a good summary of why the corrosion usually happens (more prevalent on Trans Ams, not Firebirds). However, in this case, I don't know what's causing it. There is no sign of moisture, no cracks in the housings, and the foam seal on the housing looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    I haven't read all the pages here, but have you used dielectric grease? I had the same problem with the socket getting corroded, bulbs burning out regularly, and dielectric grease solved the problem for me...
    Yes, I did use dielectric grease, and it was still on it last week. I'm tempted to say that the dielectric grease may have actually help cause the corrosion, but that's hard to believe.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread Information