Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

The Saga of the Trans Am Parking light

This is a discussion on The Saga of the Trans Am Parking light within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I like how they come on/off fast like all the LEDs do, but for me, they aren't bright enough....

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I like how they come on/off fast like all the LEDs do, but for me, they aren't bright enough.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    here is the video as promised :
    Looks great! So what exactly did you buy?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    I ordered leds from superbrightleds, new sockets from autozone,and siliconed the cracked lens on the housing. Plain and simple..Several months in and no problems. problem solved (knock on wood)
    Do you mind posting exactly what you bought? Just the LED's? and was it plug and play? Thanks!

And,,,why are they changing colors? Seems they are only orange when the DRL's are on. As soon as you turn on lights or blinkers they turn blue.
    I'd rather mine stay orange all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I like how they come on/off fast like all the LEDs do, but for me, they aren't bright enough.
    Ya that's always been my hangup with LED's. My neighbor bought LED tail light assemblies for his 67 mustang. In the daytime I just can't see them, even when he hits the brakes. That's kind of important,,,,ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by daytonayellaz View Post
    Do you mind posting exactly what you bought? Just the LED's? and was it plug and play? Thanks!
    That's what I'd like to know. I've seen these listed somewhere a while back that were simple plug and play. But the link to V-led in a previous post doesn't appear to be a plug and play install judging by the size of the bulb in the pics.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

PM sent

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

The bulbs fron V-LED's that I got are plug and play to the existing sockets.
    They change color because they are switchbacks meaning they alternate with to white. They sell type 2 bulbs that will only alternate the amber but there is a note that states they won't work with cars that have DRL.

They also sell amber only bulbs for $19. they are the same LED count asthe ones I order. I think they work the same as our regular amber bulbs. just make sure you contact them before you buy the amber ones.

Here is the link i have in the appearance section. I have some pics and you can see they are plug and play.

LED DRL's from VLEDS.com

they sell brighter LED's but are taller and will not fit in our housings.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 05-27-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

I just heard Auto Zone has LED replacments for these on the shelf...Anyone else heard of this??

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I just heard Auto Zone has LED replacments for these on the shelf...Anyone else heard of this??
    those are cheap and are not very bright. unless they use SMT diodes they are going to be dim. I also seen cheap LED not lasting long. You can give them a try but I went that route before. those didn't last more than a month. sam with my friend's TA. These ones that i got now have been in his car for 4 months without issues. I'm not saying go buy the ones I got but so far they have been the best ones i found. We are still testing these as far as durability.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 05-27-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmTerry View Post
    After replacing it more times than I care to count I took it out and studied the damn thing and discovered that there is a yellowish plug in the back of the housing itself that pops off easily, revealing a vent hole protected by a 4 sided 'shroud' above it - seems to me it was meant to come off (?). Now the test will be washing it and driving it in the rain.
    Terry
    Terry.... Good eye! That is in fact a heat vent hole you are talking about in the top/back of the housing. The rubber cap that goes over it is not meant to come off. It is designed in a way that it allows the housing to still be vented with the rubber cap in place. By removing it you allow a direct path for moisture and dirt to enter the housing. I would put them back on. Just my .02

Now the hole you drilled in the bottom...... I have mixed feelings about this.
    The part I like best about is what it does for venting the heat trapped inside the housing...... The factory vent hole will allow SOME heat to escape, but no real airflow! You created a positive airflow through the housing by drilling that hole in the bottom. Hot air will always rise... as it does it will now draw cool air in through the hole you drilled in the bottom. Creating a positive airflow through the housing. This is the exact same thing that happens with the roof on your house. The roof vents that sit at or near the peak of your roof expel the hot air in your attic..... as the hot air travels out it pulls cool air in through the soffit vents in the overhangs/eaves (below your gutters). Both vents have to be in place to vent the attic properly!! Im a Contractor in case anyone is wondering.

I guess what Im not sure of is if the hole you drilled will allow water to get in the housing. I think others have commented on this being a problem as well. I think Im going to to drill a hole the same size as the factory vent hole in the bottom of mine as well. Leave the rubber cap on the factory vent hole....run the 3157 amber bulb (its a lower wattage than the 3357 that our cars call for and will not get quite as hot ) The 3157 wont be quite as bright, but I seriously doubt it is even noticeable.

So keep us posted on how yours work out and I will do the same. I already ordered new GM housings yesterday and today ordered new LED bulbs that JayTA98 recommended and is running in his car. So my originals are going to be lab rats for as long as they last.....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 WS6

those are cheap and are not very bright. unless they use SMT diodes they are going to be dim. I also seen cheap LED not lasting long. You can give them a try but I went that route before. those didn't last more than a month. sam with my friend's TA. These ones that i got now have been in his car for 4 months without issues. I'm not saying go buy the ones I got but so far they have been the best ones i found. We are still testing these as far as durability.
    Your right! I stopped at Auto Zone and looked at them and they can not be very bright at all!! I already ordered the ones you are running

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

PM sent
    could you also send me exactly what ones you bought thanks..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    could you also send me exactly what ones you bought thanks..
    I will send you a pm when I get home.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

thanks

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    thanks
    PM sent

pewter
    2002 pontiac trans am

Hey Guys,
    How do you remove the left side parking/signal light assembly? I saw a couple of post where people say they removed it. I too have a cracked lens and I think I'm done trying to use clear cellophane tape to cover the cracks.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by psalongo View Post
    Hey Guys,
    How do you remove the left side parking/signal light assembly? I saw a couple of post where people say they removed it. I too have a cracked lens and I think I'm done trying to use clear cellophane tape to cover the cracks.
    Use some silicone first.. recommended method: you can either reach the light via the access panel under the car(directly below the light assembly).. or through the air duct below the parking light if your arm is small enough and you want to make it tough on yourself lol.. I dont remember exactly whats holding it in place, but its easy enough to remove.
    Last edited by nichoLaS1; 06-08-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by psalongo View Post
    Hey Guys,
    you have to access it from underneath the bumper. There is 2 access doors on each side of the bumper. Take the two 10 mm bolts out and the door pops open. Shine a light and you will see that the assemblies are hold on the back area by two small bolts. Remove the light socket and with a small wrench or socket take the small bolts out. Lift the housing from the bumper braket from inside the access door and remove.

pewter
    2002 pontiac trans am

Thanks nichoLaS1 and JayTA98. I'll look underneath the bumper between now and the weekend and follow the instructions. I really appreciate the response.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information