Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

The Saga of the Trans Am Parking light

This is a discussion on The Saga of the Trans Am Parking light within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; They are being a lot more responsive now . . . I am now sending back my switchbacks for the ...

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

They are being a lot more responsive now . . . I am now sending back my switchbacks for the regular amber 60 LED SMT Towers. . . more details later. Hopefully this will be the end of this fiasco.

black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    except, i believe they were dim amber with the fogs on.
    Hmm, I can't tell a difference. But I only have the 20led tower

Update: I sent the 48 LED switchback back to autolumination, and they gave me a partial refund. I just ordered regular amber 48 LED SMT from them. Hopefully the switchback function was causing all the problems. . . I'll let ya guys know when I get em in.

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

sounds like a headache, glad ur doing it brotha, i would been so pissed i would of said fuck it and left it alone or done the drl delete

Installed the new bulbs last week . . seem to work fine, but I haven't drove the car for the last few weeks (due to the weather). After I do, and get to see any new issues, I'll get some pictures of the install process and do a write up.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Weather, eh? Dealing with the same crappiness here. Too Fast is hibernating until drier roads. Gonna feel like a fast pony car again, once she's out!

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Went thru this a loong time ago

LED light bulbs

Ended up getting LED's for all around from LEDLIGHT and bought an electronic flasher from oreilly. I pulled the housings and coated the case with JBWELD and then silicone where the clear plastic met the rest of the housing. No problems and still on same bulbs from Jan 08.

WS6 Black Convertible
    2001 Trans Am

My '01 lost the RF turn signal. Upon close inspection, the socket was all rusted out. Paid GM $55 for a new socket and 2 feet of wire. What a rip off. Upon installing it, I noticed the lense had a verticle crack in the center, right over one of the lense seams. It blended in so naturally, I'm surprised I noticed it at all. I'll be watching for the mods, thanks.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

so are they working now that your not running the switch backs i want to change over to leds i just had to replace my sockets because they melted gm wanted $79 just for a socket thats BS auto zone carries them for $8 part #85881 they are listed as rears but its the same exact socket so far they work just fine but i dont wanna have to replace them again

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    so are they working now that your not running the switch backs i want to change over to leds i just had to replace my sockets because they melted gm wanted $79 just for a socket thats BS auto zone carries them for $8 part #85881 they are listed as rears but its the same exact socket so far they work just fine but i dont wanna have to replace them again
    yes they seem to be workin ok now. i seem to not have any problems with heat, moisture, and/or corrosion now (knock on wood). . . i wanted to give them a little bit of time before i checked back in with a write up . . .

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

yes they seem to be workin ok now. i seem to not have any problems with heat, moisture, and/or corrosion now (knock on wood). . . i wanted to give them a little bit of time before i checked back in with a write up . . .
    How are they holding up?

Black
    1999 Firebird

I gave up on replacing them so i have no parking lights and i have to say the bird looks a lot better without the amber lights, good thing the police pay no attention to parking lights working or not hehehe
    Everybody Has To Have A Dream.

Quote Originally Posted by austinWS6 View Post
    How are they holding up?
    excellent . . . no moisture, no corrosion, no heat cracks in the new housings, and, most importantly, no bulb burn outs

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

excellent . . . no moisture, no corrosion, no heat cracks in the new housings, and, most importantly, no bulb burn outs
    That's a nice feeling, eh? I've had zero problems with my L DRL/turnsignal since I put some RTV on the top housing crack about 18 months ago. Used to be chronic.

I may have to do the same to the RF, just yesterday I noticed the turn signal quit, and sure enough the light is not on, either the parking light or the DRL. Gonna fix it today, if the f'ing monsoon we keep getting around here lately ever stops!

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

I had the same thing happen on both sides on my car. I attributed it to getting bumped a few times. I only saw the passenger side light full of water because of the crack, and that's the side that got hit last year. After changing the damned bulbs about once a week for a couple months, I ordered a pair of replacement housings off of eBay. They're crystal clear, where the old ones were foggy. I'm not sure if that's from age or if that's the way they came. When I replaced them, I replaced the sockets too, since they were badly corroded. That's when I noticed the crack in the drivers side light too, so I was glad I was upgrading both sides.

One warning about the eBay ones. I couldn't get the socket to fit with the seal attached, so I had to take it off. The bolts also broke off, but they're both sitting in there very happily. They're much brighter, so I can't complain.

I put a "Thundercats" sequencing tail light setup on mine years ago, and that required an electronic flasher to work, so I don't get the warning that a bulb is burnt out. I'm always checking my lights in the reflection on other people's cars. I considered going the LED route, but the local stores didn't stock them, and I just wanted to get it done. If you do switch to LED's, an electronic flasher will probably keep the blink timing right, rather than the mechanical one we'd normally use. All the auto parts stores stock them. If you can't find the right part, I can go under my dash and tell you which one mine is. It's late and dark, so I'm not doing it right now.

(BTW, Thundercats is out of business, so that's not an ad, even though I'm really satisfied with it)

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

So, Gullett17, everything still going fine? How about a little write up or even just a parts list of what we should get to fix the problem with LEDs

i know i know . . im slackin. . . ive got pics and need to organize my write up and get it put on here. yeap, everything seems fine . . still no cracks or leaks, led bulbs are doin fine. . . i noticed a couple months ago, while pulling out of an alley and facing a large window, my drivers side parking light flickered a bit, but i haven't seen it do it since.
    as for a parts list, to do it right, you need to change the housings and sockets unless you are confident they are in acceptable shape. and for the conversion, it is still the same as listed at the beginning of the thread. . . flasher, led protectors, and your led bulbs

so im thinkin my new flasher may be bad now, turn signals stopped flashing this weekend. . . ill keep you guys updated. . .

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Does anyone have pictures with the super white leds on there car or the blue leds.

yeap, flasher was bad already. i replaced it with with an electronic one from autozone for a third the price i paid from autolumination. . . chalk up another reason not to use them for you led needs. . .

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information