Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

The Saga of the Trans Am Parking light

This is a discussion on The Saga of the Trans Am Parking light within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Yes, should be bright and look good!...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes, should be bright and look good!

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6 View Post
    cant wait!!!

I've been waiting for a Guinea pig to do this Gullett I'm lookin at you!
    ha . . ha . . ha . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Yes, should be bright and look good!
    hope so . . wont be as bright as the 60's but hopefully not too much dimmer

UPDATE:
    Installed the 48 LED switchbacks on Friday. The do not work as expected. With the only the DRL's, they are amber but flash amber-off. With the fogs on, they are dim amber, and flash dim-off. With the headlights on, they are white and flash white-off.

Autolumination's answer to this:
    "OK-
    They are not going to work with that vehicle, since the vehicle circuitry is
    altering +/-polarity when the various lights are being switched on/off."

This isn't a sufficient answer, in my opinion. The 60 LED switchbacks worked semi-right before they blew out. I don't understand why the 48's would be different.
    And why wouldn't they ask how the lights are setup before I purchased the bulbs?
    I haven't decided what to do yet with this issue.

As for you who aren't going to a use a switchback, which I recommend. So far, it seems like you shouldn't have a problem with my current setup.
    I will tell you that the 48 LED's are significantly dimmer than the 60 LED's. They are also dimmer than the original incandescents. This however, probably won't be very useful if you don't purchase from Autolumination, which I also recommend.

After I decide if I'm just gonna keep these current bulbs or not, I will have a write-up on the install . . .

Mustang killer

White/ Blue stripes
    1999 30th anniversary

mine blows out all the time,getting the passenger side fixed again today .
    it also got a crack in it , this shit is getting old

The bulbs are now sometimes on, sometimes off, sometimes one on one off with the fogs or headlights. Autolumination has not answer my email, and I just sent another. I will not use Autolumination again. If they ever answer, I plan on trading the switchbacks for standard amber 60 LED towers. . .

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well I did a little research on what switchbacks are supposed to do and how the TA DRLs, parklights, and turn signals are wired up and how they operate. What you are asking the switchback to do is impossible. Sounds like your giving up on switchbacks and going with standard LED bulbs and I think thats your best bet now.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Trans am Chick View Post
    mine blows out all the time,getting the passenger side fixed again today .
    it also got a crack in it , this shit is getting old
    Get the crack fixed. Have whoever is changing your bulb take the assembly out (easy to do, (2) 7mm headed bolts) and put some RTV or whatever available to fix the probable crack on top of the assembly. That's what fixed my car, it has no issues now in the rain. The water would drip on top of my bulb and shatter it. Hot bulb with thin glass = glass breaks when hit with cold water. I thought it was the crack on the front, but that did not cause it.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

My personal esperience with the DRL lenses has been different. On both my cars I have never had cracked lenses. The water has always gotten in during the rain.

I opted to for larger gaskets and have not replaced a bulb since. We sell this gaskets on the site now.

Your idea of swapping for LED's is a great idea. I will look into this and see if there is anything we can help with.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Well I did a little research on what switchbacks are supposed to do and how the TA DRLs, parklights, and turn signals are wired up and how they operate. What you are asking the switchback to do is impossible. Sounds like your giving up on switchbacks and going with standard LED bulbs and I think thats your best bet now.
    I didn't expect the switchbacks to flash amber-white under every circumstance. Its obvious that the they would react different with just drl's, with the fogs on and when the headlights are on. However, these last switchbacks I got do not do the switchback effect at all. And I know it's possible, because the 60's, that blew out, did the switchback effect at least sometimes. But some of the other things the switchbacks are doing should have been warned about before I purchased them, like shutting completely off with fogs on or causing the signal indicators to be on all the time. It is just poor communication and/or questions asked on the sellers part that should be an expert on their product.
    But yes you are right, I am going with the standard LED's now.

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    My personal esperience with the DRL lenses has been different. On both my cars I have never had cracked lenses. The water has always gotten in during the rain.

I opted to for larger gaskets and have not replaced a bulb since. We sell this gaskets on the site now.

Your idea of swapping for LED's is a great idea. I will look into this and see if there is anything we can help with.
    I think sometimes, there aren't any problems. And yes, larger/better gaskets may help. But I believe the high heat is the main problem here, and moisture is the secondary/indirect problem.

Your help is greatly appreciated and welcome!! I am a satisfied customer of yours already

black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    or causing the signal indicators to be on all the time.
    I assume you installed the LED protectors in the ground wire!?

Because at first I installed the switchback and tried the function and all was fine. then I installed the protectors and the amber was gone and the turnsignal indicators were burning dim.
    so now I took the protectors out again.
    Last edited by swisscheese; 11-23-2009 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscheese View Post
    I assume you installed the LED protectors in the ground wire!?

Because at first I installed the switchback and tried the function and all was fine. then I installed the protectors and the amber was gone and the turnsignal indicators were burning dim.
    so now I took the protectors out again.
    Yes i did. . . So are you now running them without the protectors?
    Mine were doing the same. . .

black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

Yes i did. . . So are you now running them without the protectors?
    Mine were doing the same. . .
    Yes I took them out.
    Now I'm wondering how long they will hold up, if it is really necessary to have the protectors installed... we will see.

Yes I took them out.
    Now I'm wondering how long they will hold up, if it is really necessary to have the protectors installed... we will see.
    hmmm. . . so what did this fix? Just the indicators?

black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

When I installed the switchbacks I tried everything and it seemed fine:
    drl where amber, parklights where white and it was switching between amber and white when I activated the turns.
    Well I didn't want to install the protectors right away because I had to cut the groundwire. But after this test i thought: ok, everything is working like it should and they recommend to install the protectors. So I went ahead and did it.
    After that I doublechecked again and saw that all was working but only in white. the amber wasn't showing anymore. I took a look at the dashboard and saw the turnindicators glowing. I was like wtf is wrong now. So I took the protectors out again and now it works.
    Don't know why the protectors are causing this.

When I installed the switchbacks I tried everything and it seemed fine:
    drl where amber, parklights where white and it was switching between amber and white when I activated the turns.
    Well I didn't want to install the protectors right away because I had to cut the groundwire. But after this test i thought: ok, everything is working like it should and they recommend to install the protectors. So I went ahead and did it.
    After that I doublechecked again and saw that all was working but only in white. the amber wasn't showing anymore. I took a look at the dashboard and saw the turnindicators glowing. I was like wtf is wrong now. So I took the protectors out again and now it works.
    Don't know why the protectors are causing this.
    Interesting. . . so your turn signals flash amber-white in all situations; drls, fogs, healights?
    And clarification. . the only difference for the camaro's drl/headlight setup is the automatic headlights, right?

black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

Auto headlights are disabled. didn't check with the foglights for now but will do tomorrow! but I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the functionality.

LED shines amber for drl and flash amber when turnsignal is activated.
    LED shines white for parking lamp and flash amber/white when turn is activated.
    LED flashes white when locking/unlocking the car.

At first I thought that the function of the switchback is made by straight current/pulsing current. But now it seems that its only a matter of witch line is activated, the parklamp-line or the drl/turn-line. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Auto headlights are disabled. didn't check with the foglights for now but will do tomorrow! but I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the functionality.

LED shines amber for drl and flash amber when turnsignal is activated.
    LED shines white for parking lamp and flash amber/white when turn is activated.
    LED flashes white when locking/unlocking the car.

At first I thought that the function of the switchback is made by straight current/pulsing current. But now it seems that its only a matter of witch line is activated, the parklamp-line or the drl/turn-line. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
    Yeah thats sounds about like what the 60's where doin before they blew out. . . except, i believe they were dim amber with the fogs on.

I thought I agreed with you on functionality. The + that is for the bright/drl filament is amber on the switchbacks. The + that is for the dim filament is white on the switchbacks. However, autolumination thinks that it is alternating polarity???? So i dont know now. . .

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Yeah thats sounds about like what the 60's where doin before they blew out. . . except, i believe they were dim amber with the fogs on.

I thought I agreed with you on functionality. The + that is for the bright/drl filament is amber on the switchbacks. The + that is for the dim filament is white on the switchbacks. However, autolumination thinks that it is alternating polarity???? So i dont know now. . .
    Sound to me like autolum didn't even know there own product!!!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information