Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

The Saga of the Trans Am Parking light

This is a discussion on The Saga of the Trans Am Parking light within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by stunna p If u wanna be a straight balla, you can swap the amber bulbs outta the ...

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by stunna p View Post
    If u wanna be a straight balla, you can swap the amber bulbs outta the running lights, and put clear bulbs in....there like head lights...u would be shocked at how bright they are!!!!!!!!
    Im sure they look good but they wouldn't fix the lens crackin problem!

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    Im sure they look good but they wouldn't fix the lens crackin problem!

my current recommendation, unless i find an easy fix, do not get the switchbacks. as of right now, my drl's aren't on at all now. turn signals work but still one is amber, one is white. waiting on autoluminations reponse. . .

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post

my current recommendation, unless i find an easy fix, do not get the switchbacks. as of right now, my drl's aren't on at all now. turn signals work but still one is amber, one is white. waiting on autoluminations reponse. . .
    If you take the bulb out an turn it around I bet it will light up amber

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    If you take the bulb out an turn it around I bet it will light up amber
    well autolumination is sayin one of the LED bulbs may be burned out already. I'll get into more details later . . .

I did want to tell you guys that I think I've stumbled over a cheap mod that could lower heat and prevent cracking of the housing. With the trouble I'm havin with the LED's, I took them back out saturday and put some new regular bulbs back in. I left the LED protectors on the grounds. For some reason, they have changed how/when the incandescent bulbs light up. With no lights on and only drl's, they light up with the dim filament. With the fogs or headlights on, they aren't on at all, but flash normal. Don't know why this happens, however; so I don't know if it would causes any problems, like premature burnout. . .

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Interesting.

Hopefully you can get it figured out with different LEDs or something.

I would like to at some point replace all my lights with LEDs but I would like to take advice from people who have already done it first.

Quote Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6 View Post
    Interesting.

Hopefully you can get it figured out with different LEDs or something.

I would like to at some point replace all my lights with LEDs but I would like to take advice from people who have already done it first.
    Yeah, want to at least do my backup lights, which shouldnt be too tough. I was gonna buy em soon from autolumination, but well see how they handle this situation before I buy any more from them. . .
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 10-26-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Autolumination thinks the 60 LED switchbacks don't work right with our cars' circuitry for some reason. They are recommending to exchange mine for 48 LED switchbacks.
    The other issue is, they are saying I need load equalizers now. . . which in the beginning they told me I needed load equalizers OR an LED flasher. Hopefully they'll take care of me in this situation; if not, I am not purchasing anything from them again. WHAT A DAMN HEADACHE THIS HAS TURNED INTO! Your welcome in advance ls1 haha

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

LED's

Dude that sucks. I ran into the same problem. I wanted LED's all the way around. I had the exact same issues with the front running lights.

The back lights also suck. After I changed out to the LED's in the back I lost my cruise control. Dealer said it was because something in the c/c has to pull a load from the brake lights. If the LED's don't pull enough of a load then it disables the c/c.

Major pain in the a$$. Keep us posted on what you find though.

Mike

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Thumbs up

Autolumination thinks the 60 LED switchbacks don't work right with our cars' circuitry for some reason. They are recommending to exchange mine for 48 LED switchbacks.
    The other issue is, they are saying I need load equalizers now. . . which in the beginning they told me I needed load equalizers OR an LED flasher. Hopefully they'll take care of me in this situation; if not, I am not purchasing anything from them again. WHAT A DAMN HEADACHE THIS HAS TURNED INTO! Your welcome in advance ls1 haha
    Someone has to be the guinea pig, and we appreciate you putting in your time, effort, and money!! Don't forget to take pictures of what the lights look like with LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by 5150WS6 View Post
    Dude that sucks. I ran into the same problem. I wanted LED's all the way around. I had the exact same issues with the front running lights.

The back lights also suck. After I changed out to the LED's in the back I lost my cruise control. Dealer said it was because something in the c/c has to pull a load from the brake lights. If the LED's don't pull enough of a load then it disables the c/c.

Major pain in the a$$. Keep us posted on what you find though.

Mike
    Wow. . . never would have imagined loosing your cruise control switchin to LED's. I don't plan on changing any rear lights to LED's except maybe the backup lights.

Did you find a solution to you front drl's? Did you have to use load equalizers?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Someone has to be the guinea pig, and we appreciate you putting in your time, effort, and money!! Don't forget to take pictures of what the lights look like with LEDs.
    No problem! And I will take pics!

BLACK & red stripes
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

Since my location is Sweden and the law her says orange turnsignals front and rear- my solution was 1. delete DRL 2. modify the lamp by insert a new 5W lamp into the housing and use this as parking light and use the original lamp(21W?) as turnsignal, just change lamp from white to orange. Now i using the 5W lamp al time and there is no problem what so ever. Passing yearly inspection all time. At rear i have LT1 style eurospec lamps since Firebirs was sold in europe as new between 93-97.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Bulbs

No I havent found any solution yet. I'm only running LEDs in the side markers, third brake light and the backup lights. Everything else is the standard bulbs.

Autoluminations' communication is very bad / confusing. Now their saying that I dont need load equalizers if the bulbs were flashing properly with the flasher I got. . . wow. But yet they also said in a few emails back that the load equalizers would cure the problem I had with the switchback goin to dim amber when the fogs were on. Again waiting for yet another email for an explanation.

On top of that mess . . the auto parts store allowed me to trade in both of my housings again as defective. I took them out and brought them in for exchange and come to find out they ordered side markers. The new housings won't be in until the 10th now. So i put the housings back in and get to take them back out when the new ones come in . I officially have a deep passionate hate for the 98+ trans am parking light.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Autoluminations' communication is very bad / confusing. Now their saying that I dont need load equalizers if the bulbs were flashing properly with the flasher I got. . . wow. But yet they also said in a few emails back that the load equalizers would cure the problem I had with the switchback goin to dim amber when the fogs were on. Again waiting for yet another email for an explanation.

On top of that mess . . the auto parts store allowed me to trade in both of my housings again as defective. I took them out and brought them in for exchange and come to find out they ordered side markers. The new housings won't be in until the 10th now. So i put the housings back in and get to take them back out when the new ones come in . I officially have a deep passionate hate for the 98+ trans am parking light.
    Gullet, just get some OEM sockets from Autozone, put them in and then do the DRL delete mod. I did that and have not had any problems. Pm me if you need more detail.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Scratch that. You are hell bent on LEDs.......lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    Gullet, just get some OEM sockets from Autozone, put them in and then do the DRL delete mod. I did that and have not had any problems. Pm me if you need more detail.
    I know . . that is a cure to the overall problem. But I want to keep the DRL's. . . .
    you read me oh so well. . . i'm on the border of changing my mind tho.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

LOL he is, aint' he?

Anyway, my 2 cents is, after I took my housing out, siliconed the top crack (which looked melted, then cracked) and replaced the 9 year old socket, I've had no trouble with the bulb. I've never had a problem with the pass. side, but I imagine a crack is developing.

While I really don't like clear lights as DRLs, or the regular headlights on dimmer as DRLs, I REALLY LIKE the Trans Am DRLs, especially when the fog lights are on as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    While I really don't like clear lights as DRLs, or the regular headlights on dimmer as DRLs, I REALLY LIKE the Trans Am DRLs, especially when the fog lights are on as well.
    agreed

48 LED switchbacks now on their way . . .

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

cant wait!!!

I've been waiting for a Guinea pig to do this Gullett I'm lookin at you!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information