rust proofing the firebird

This is a discussion on rust proofing the firebird within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hello all, im going to college in the mountains of north carolina and was wondering if products like lizardskin actually ...

purple
    1998 firebird

Hello all, im going to college in the mountains of north carolina and was wondering if products like lizardskin actually protected the bottom of the car from rusting?

Black & pewter
    2002 Formula & 1999 TA

If you can avoid driving the car in the winter, it would be a better idea than undercoating it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Yes Lizard skin does protect it. You're car should already have an under coating from the factory. They've been doing it since the 80's. But adding a coat of Lizard shkin will help.

purple
    1998 firebird

I'll avoid driving it in winter as much as possible, traffics a nightmare here. but the roads here in boone get salted often from the end November til the end of februrary. I wasnt aware of there being a factory coating on the underside. I just assumed it was merely painted on the bottom like my sunfire.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Yes Lizard skin does protect it. You're car should already have an under coating from the factory. They've been doing it since the 80's. But adding a coat of Lizard shkin will help.
    FWIW only place I ever noticed any undercoating per say is the rear wheel wells and the lil bit they spray under the rockers from the frt fenders to the start of the rear quarters about 4" wide, the rest of the undercarriage is poorly painted red metal just like my engine bay, AFAIK
    Here's mine: note the greyish looking "coating"

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Yup...I stand corrected....I had to look myself last night. I know I saw it in the wheel wells.

purple
    1998 firebird

that's it? I don't see that protecting much of the car. anyone have an idea of what the cost will be to have the bottom sprayed?

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

POR-15 it for a hundred or so bucks out of pocket. All day project, but it will outlast the body by far. I'm unfamiliar with LizardSkin, but there is a spray coating called Fluid Film that folks like to have their vehicles undercarriages coated in before bad seasons.

Otherwise, easiest thing to do is to keep it out of the winter salt, out of rain, and keep it garaged.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 View Post
    but there is a spray coating called Fluid Film that folks like to have their vehicles undercarriages coated in before bad seasons.
    Fluid film stuff is like a grease spray, I use it on the underside of my zero turn mowers steel deck to stop rust and help grass not stick to it, FWIW.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    Fluid film stuff is like a grease spray, I use it on the underside of my zero turn mowers steel deck to stop rust and help grass not stick to it, FWIW.
    Click for full size
    That's a good tip for the lawn mowers. Might need to try that. I recall a couple years ago on the F150 forum page there was a couple folks talking about having their under carriages coated with fluid film. Never recalled the outcome though. All I know for certain is a POR-15 surface will hardly ever rust again once treated. I need to do this to my truck underbody badly.

purple
    1998 firebird

I went on the por15 site. is their rubberized undercoating in a can as good as their other products? 20 dollars a can makes me cautious of its life expectancy.

Only undercoating I've ever seen on any of our 4th gens is up in the rear wheel well areas and around the gas tank and muffler areas a little bit.

Lizard Skin is more for sound deadening but it can also be used as a rust protector. They use Lizard Skin on a lot of military jobs where my father worked to sound deaden the large semi trailers. It's excellent stuff, but on a car for sound deadener I prefer to use dynamat. Less messy, no need to mask stuff.

I use POR 15 with a brush inside cars on floors before dynamat goes down. POR 15 here is $50 a quart, excellent stuff, once dry it's like concrete. Very hard to chip or sand.

As far as undercoating the bottom side of the car, I'd much rather prefer to coat it with something that is not so permanent, like the fluid film mentioned. And once a month or so just reapply if it's washed off.
    I like to use T9 Boshield on front suspensions after restoring a car where suspension pieces need to be a correct bare cast metal finish. Boshield keeps them for corroding and I reapply it every few months. Good stuff, used in the airline industry.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Only undercoating I've ever seen on any of our 4th gens is up in the rear wheel well areas and around the gas tank and muffler areas a little bit.

Lizard Skin is more for sound deadening but it can also be used as a rust protector. They use Lizard Skin on a lot of military jobs where my father worked to sound deaden the large semi trailers. It's excellent stuff, but on a car for sound deadener I prefer to use dynamat. Less messy, no need to mask stuff.

I use POR 15 with a brush inside cars on floors before dynamat goes down. POR 15 here is $50 a quart, excellent stuff, once dry it's like concrete. Very hard to chip or sand.

As far as undercoating the bottom side of the car, I'd much rather prefer to coat it with something that is not so permanent, like the fluid film mentioned. And once a month or so just reapply if it's washed off.
    I like to use T9 Boshield on front suspensions after restoring a car where suspension pieces need to be a correct bare cast metal finish. Boshield keeps them for corroding and I reapply it every few months. Good stuff, used in the airline industry.
    I know third gens had big problems with underside rust, especially where the wheelarches met the unibodies, do we see big problems with rust in the 4th gens?

I know my 3rd gen was built much the same way all the 4th gens we had in that it only had an undercoating in the rear wheel well areas and the rest of the bottom side of the car was painted body color without clear coat on it.

So I'd say yeah there's a good chance 4th gens would rust if you live in a climate where they throw a lot of road salt down, I'd say anything is at risk for the pesky corrosion syndrome with salt in the picture.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I know my 3rd gen was built much the same way all the 4th gens we had in that it only had an undercoating in the rear wheel well areas and the rest of the bottom side of the car was painted body color without clear coat on it.

So I'd say yeah there's a good chance 4th gens would rust if you live in a climate where they throw a lot of road salt down, I'd say anything is at risk for the pesky corrosion syndrome with salt in the picture.
    I know they used different corrosion protection (like increased layers of zinc and such) on the sheetmetal and welding/bonding techniques for the panels. They certainly had a better corrosion protection warranty.

Thread Information