Silver
    1999 Trans am

Running light dont work

my driver side running light wont come on when i start my car but when i turn my lights on it comes on but when i turn my blinker on it dosent blink for either setting, my passenger side running light works great no matter what setting my lights are brand new and my actual blinker under the dash isnt stock but isnt new and when i first installed it a while back everything was working great could this be a wire issue?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Replace bulb.

The housings tend to have small cracks and allow water to get in. I go through a bulb every 6 months on the driver side.
    Drilling a small hole in the bottom of the housing can sometimes help by allowing the water to drain out.

Sunset Orange
    Two, 2002 WS6 Trans Ams

i had the same problem i was replacing a bulb a week. but when i took the socket out it was very dirty and corroded so i just replaced both sides housings and sockets. no more problems!

Silver
    1999 Trans am

i already replaced both bulbs it didnt change anything

Sunset Orange
    Two, 2002 WS6 Trans Ams

have you looked at the housing to see if they are cracked? or if there is any buildup in the sockets? just replacing the bulbs normally doesnt work. i believe i paid 250 to replace the whole setup and it was worth every penny, plus the brand new housing look awsome.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

either the bulb is bad or its getting a bad connection, must be the socket

Silver
    1999 Trans am

water did get in the housing and corrodid the socket i think that is what the problem is what could i do to get that corrosion out without replacing the socket..

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

assload of wd40 or dielectric grease

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Usually once the corrosion starts, it only gets worse from there. Autoparts stores sell new sockets, if you think you can do it yourself.

Also, I was having a continual problem with mine as well. I put in a new socket, everything was fine, then the next day it rained and I had to drive, and the bulb blew out. I took the lens assembly out, found a crack on top of it, I put some RTV gasket maker over the cracks, and have had no problem now for over 6 months, problem fixed.

I had always assumed the small cracks on the front of the lens were the problem, letting the water in.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Im having the same problem. The bulb works when I turn my lights on, but the blinker and daytime mode doesnt. The signal indicator doesnt blink on the dash it just stays on. All the fuses were fine. Let me know when you find a solution or I will let you know.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by nmartin View Post
    Im having the same problem. The bulb works when I turn my lights on, but the blinker and daytime mode doesnt. The signal indicator doesnt blink on the dash it just stays on. All the fuses were fine. Let me know when you find a solution or I will let you know.
    In your case... You have a burned out filoment in one of your bulds. The steady ON dash turn signal indicator tells you what side is bad but not what bulb. Sounds like the high side or brite side of the front signal/marker is cooked. replace the buld and check the socket for corrosion. Replace socket if the area where the bulb inserts is discolored, melted, or rusty inside.. And it's good to replace bulbs in pairs..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-09-2010 at 08:50 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^or, it could be one of the rear lights out. Best way to find out is to put on the hazards and walk around the car and see which light(s) are out. If a new bulb doesn't fix the light issue, then a wiring problem is a possibility.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    ^^^or, it could be one of the rear lights out. Best way to find out is to put on the hazards and walk around the car and see which light(s) are out. If a new bulb doesn't fix the light issue, then a wiring problem is a possibility.
    This:

Imho should be checked everytime the vehicle is about to hit the road.. Takes 2sec. and you're on your way.. But then again I'm anal about everything working.. Nothing bothers me more than some yoyo with only the third brake light working. I like when others let me know what they plan to do out on the road. But for some we just have to guess..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-09-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^me too. I hate it when I have a light out.

Thread Information