Thread: Running hot

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Running hot

My car is runnin hot after a lap around town smokin a cig my temp gauge is already at 210. I have a 165 degree thermostat just put in less than 6 months ago and flushed the radiator last month but thats not helpin for some reason so any ideas or suggestions? thanks

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by izzhemp View Post
    My car is runnin hot after a lap around town smokin a cig my temp gauge is already at 210. I have a 165 degree thermostat just put in less than 6 months ago and flushed the radiator last month but thats not helpin for some reason so any ideas or suggestions? thanks
    make sure your fan is coming on, sometimes the relays go. mine went and when I bought a new one I had a tune done to get the fans on sooner. Worked great
    2002 Camaro SS/M6. Volant CAI, 80mm TB w/spacer, cat delete w/ ory, borla XR-1 w/ cme, custom tune, 3.73's, 8,000k HID headlights and foglights, 19" staggered ruff 278 wheels.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by izzhemp View Post
    The temp gauge on these cars isn't accurate and will always read around 205 to 210 degrees after the engine is warmed up. Its a dummy gauge barely better then a warning light.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

First, don't hold your breath on the stock guage being completely accurate.. Second, 210 is normal with a stock thermo.. Do you have a SES light on?
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The temp gauge on these cars isn't accurate and will always read around 205 to 210 degrees after the engine is warmed up. Its a dummy gauge barely better then a warning light.
    beat me to it..

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

i have an aftermarket stat its a 165 and the car feels like its puttin off as much heat as its readin, and ya my SES did turn and its readin transmission componet slipping ive cleared the code twice and its on again it comes on when the car gets really hot causeing the tranny to get hot, and yes my fans work.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What's the outside temp? Has your car been tuned to allow the fans to turn on sooner to work with your 160 thermostat? Maybe check to make sure your water pump is properly circulating your fluids..

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

low to mid 90's and no tune...

White
    1998 Trans Am

If the fans aren't set to turn on with the lower stat it's pretty useless. My car never passes 180 or so on a hot day with my 160 and my fans set to match.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    If the fans aren't set to turn on with the lower stat it's pretty useless. My car never passes 180 or so on a hot day with my 160 and my fans set to match.
    ill have to get that done

White
    1998 Trans Am

Stat without the fans set will do nothing for you. My 5.0 has a low tem stat buy belt friven fan so no tuning needed. Fbody cars have electric need the fanss set to whatever tem the stat is

black
    1995 transam

Hook your car to a scanner, it will tell you the temp the computer is seeing.

black
    2001 Trans Am

I agree with what the others are sayin, probably need to get your fan set to the stat, but here's another thought. Maybe the thermostat is bad. The reason I say this is that I noticed you said 6mo ago you bought the thermostat, then last month you did a radiator flush. A couple years back I had bought a thermostat, then a few months down the road I had my radiator flushed, well a few days later I noticed the temp hand was settin a little high and my car was making a funny noise (I know you didn't mention anything about your car making a noise though) well it turned out the thermostat was bad. I don't know if the engine flush had anything to do with that or not, but now when I do a flush, the thermostat also gets replaced. Just a thought

Thread Information