Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rotor and brake help!

This is a discussion on Rotor and brake help! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by crazy dave ls1 whats wrong with slotted and drilled rotors?i found all 4 rotors slotted and drilled ...

Artic White
    99 TA ,97 Jeep TJ(Dead)

Quote Originally Posted by crazy dave ls1 View Post
    whats wrong with slotted and drilled rotors?i found all 4 rotors slotted and drilled and cryod on ebay for 200.00.used hawks front and rear and flushed the brake system with dot 4.no more fade,good wet weather stopping.been on for a year with no problems.
    Thats what I wanted & started researching and mostly found horror stories, about stress cracking around the holes. I Don't know Really, Its A huge debate about bad/good, all I know is I sure see quite a bit of them on all kinds of cars

red
    2002 z/28

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy9911 View Post
    Thats what I wanted & started researching and mostly found horror stories, about stress cracking around the holes. I Don't know Really, Its A huge debate about bad/good, all I know is I sure see quite a bit of them on all kinds of cars
    now that you mention it i have seen quite a few with cracks around the holes.i dont think they were cryo'd though.the cryo process really hardens the metal.i dont road race or do anything to get them really hot though other than an occasional blast down the freeway or the sucky stop-n-go dallas traffic.
    Last edited by crazy dave ls1; 09-08-2008 at 06:26 PM.

red
    2002 z/28

Quote Originally Posted by NJ2002WS.6 View Post
    Yeah, I did some good research on this site. I went with the ebay ones, realizing that they were from the same company. $155 for all 4! I got them slotted and dimpled. The dimpled is just for looks, but I really think they are going to look sharp! I also just got 4 new Bridgestone Potenza RE-760 sports.. they look awesome! Next year I want to get some C6 chromes for the summers.
    hey what do you think about the 760's?i'm running the bridgestone re050's

Blog Entries

Metallic Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

They are great! Not only do they stick to the road, they look great too!

Artic White
    99 TA ,97 Jeep TJ(Dead)

now that you mention it i have seen quite a few with cracks around the holes.i dont think they were cryo'd though.the cryo process really hardens the metal.i dont road race or do anything to get them really hot though other than an occasional blast down the freeway or the sucky stop-n-go dallas traffic.

Artic White
    99 TA ,97 Jeep TJ(Dead)

whats wrong with slotted and drilled rotors?i found all 4 rotors slotted and drilled and cryod on ebay for 200.00.used hawks front and rear and flushed the brake system with dot 4.no more fade,good wet weather stopping.been on for a year with no problems.
    Hey Crazy Dave, You got any pics of yours, or remember who you bought them from? just wondering if its the same guy, I seen where he sells the rotor/hawk pad combo also. I would have got the pads to but I'd already bought some ceramic

red
    2002 z/28

Hey Crazy Dave, You got any pics of yours, or remember who you bought them from? just wondering if its the same guy, I seen where he sells the rotor/hawk pad combo also. I would have got the pads to but I'd already bought some ceramic

the calipers look crappy thinking about having them powder coated.i saved the page in my favs but he is nolonger there.it w
    as some dude in cali.
    Last edited by crazy dave ls1; 09-09-2008 at 03:37 AM.

red
    2002 z/28

They are great! Not only do they stick to the road, they look great too!
    as soon as they come out with my rear tire size i'm gonna try them they do look awesome.how is the wet weather handling?

Artic White
    99 TA ,97 Jeep TJ(Dead)

Click for full size
    the calipers look crappy thinking about having them powder coated.i saved the page in my favs but he is nolonger there.it w
    as some dude in cali.
    Click for full size
    wheels/rotors look great, I'd love to powder coat, just gonna clean and paint or polish for now until I can upgrade

red
    2002 z/28

wheels/rotors look great, I'd love to powder coat, just gonna clean and paint or polish for now until I can upgrade
    iwas going to paint but i found a place that will powdercoat the calipers/brackets for 150.00 but it would take them a week to do it.that means do without my car for a week (my only car) or buy another set of calipers/brackets 500.00.just cant do it yet.

Blog Entries

Metallic Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Hey, the brakes look great! They feel good too, it feels good to have good brakes again. One question, do they make noise before you brake them in? Like i hear like a metal on metal grinding sound like tiiisss tiis tiiss tiiss as the wheel goes around.... It is coming from the back. The mechanic said that I have to go easy on them for the fist 50 miles or so. Let me know.

red
    2002 z/28

Hey, the brakes look great! They feel good too, it feels good to have good brakes again. One question, do they make noise before you brake them in? Like i hear like a metal on metal grinding sound like tiiisss tiis tiiss tiiss as the wheel goes around.... It is coming from the back. The mechanic said that I have to go easy on them for the fist 50 miles or so. Let me know.
    yea they make alot of noise for a little while.ive got about 5xxx miles on mine and they still growl under hard braking.did you step up to dot 4 fluid also?

Blog Entries

Metallic Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

No, i am still on DOT 3. But they grind while driving, not braking. I might take it back and have them adjust something. There is definitly something not right.

Artic White
    99 TA ,97 Jeep TJ(Dead)

mine came in late yesterday, hopefully have them on today, let you know, hopefully no grinding issues

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information