Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Roof

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has done this before. I have a 2002 with a full roof and was wondering how much work it would be to convert to a t-top roof? I have a damaged body shell that was sacrificed for a front end replacement, with the t-top roof that is not damaged. All of the trim however is missing, I did get the weatherstrip for it though. Are the two roofs structurally the same underneath the roof panel? As far as I can see from the GM part diagrams, the full roof has a side reinforcing bar running along the top of the window. Has anyone ever converted to a t-top roof?

Just wondering what others thought about this idea.........Thanks.

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

I think that you could run into some structural integrity issues if the car was not made to be a t-top. Convertibles and t-tops have additional support to prevent any bend on take offs. I don't recommend it.

@#$% You I'm from TEXAS Rojerlockless's Avatar

ASC# 285 Born Oct 26 2001
    2002 Collectors EDTA

cut that roof off!

Black
    2000 Trans Am

huh I have never seen a gen 4 TA with out t-tops. I guess ya learn something everyday.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Friend of mine put T tops in his hard top. Their are sites to help with this. Gotta search for em.

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

make it a vert lol

Sunset Orange
    Two, 2002 WS6 Trans Ams

i would love a hard top!! i didnt think they made hard tops after 2000 tho? Pics?

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

i wouldn't do it because its so rare to have a hard top

1966 Corvette Coupe

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!......

you have a 2002 TRANS AM with a hard top?

YOUR SURE?!?!?!

they dont make those... they made hard top t/a's in the LT-1 style... but it is RUMORED that like 2 hard top ls-1s exist... but dude ALL (i suppose 99.999999998%) of the LS1s are T-top...

i want pics and price of that SOB....

-me

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

I want pics. 2002 did not have a T-top option for their Trans-am. Only the firebird had a solid roof.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

real or not don't do it.. it CAN be done but if it gets messed up it may never be right again...

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

First off, I guess I caused some confusion. I never said it was a Trans Am, but I guess I didn't say it wasn't either.....no, it is just a Firebird.

Secondly, I have done some research and apparently all of the inner structure is the same for both hardtop and t-top, the only difference is the reinforcing bar above the window. Also, as far as structural integrity goes, by removing this bar, it would be all the same as GM originally produced the t-top, at least this is what I am being told.

As far as messing it up, I also build race cars and chassis so this really doesn't worry me. The main concern was that if the structure was the same for both types of roofs without cutting off the entire A and B pillars for replacement.

Thanks to everyone for your input, it was well taken.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bh5432 View Post
    First off, I guess I caused some confusion. I never said it was a Trans Am, but I guess I didn't say it wasn't either.....no, it is just a Firebird.

Dude, lol, I was about to say "Holy crap I gotta see this" before I read that. I'd keep your roof, btw. T-tops are awesome, and I wouldn't not want to have mine (I love 'em), but I'd leave your car the way it is. That would be a lot of work and you'd not only have to possibly deal with the structural integrity issue, but you'd have all the problems t-tops bring with themselves anyway too (noise, rattle, little bit of leaking, etc).

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

I know I may have caused some questions, sorry for that.......

I know all of the concerns but you know, I got this car a 2002 Firebird V-6 auto with 40,000 miles from a dealer who wanted to clear out their back lot. It was in a frontal accident and they didn't want to fix it. I paid $750 for the car, got a complete front clip matching color for another $1700 so I've got roughly $2500 in the car. It runs great, interior is in very good condition so I thought it would make a great school car for the kids. I'll do all of the work myself so that will keep the cost down.

I found a site on the internet illustrating the process for those interested.
    http://members.fortunecity.com/gripe...onversion.html

Once again, thanks for all the input.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

I think there was confusion based on the note under your avitar that says "2002 TransAm". I've seen other threads where structurally there is minimum difference in the roof of a HT vs a T-Top car, making it possible to convert a HT to T-Top w/o adding anything special WRT reinforcement of the chassis. In fact, the "T" bar is present under the skin of HTs. The verts do have an X-brace that the coupes don't have.

There WERE two HT LS1 TAs built, '98 production protos/mules AFAIK. The breakdown I've got shows 12046 total TA coupes being built, but only 12044 having T-tops and Keyless Entry and two w/ cloth interiors (I presume these two are the same 2 w/o T-tops). Can't tell if these 2 were WS6, although I've read somewhere that they were.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am

Sorry for any confusion on this.

I got the car from a dealer who wanted to clear out their back lot, it was involved in a front end collision, they owned it and wanted to get rid of it. It is a 2002 Firebird V-6 auto with 40,000 miles, runs good and smooth, everything works....I got it for $750. I found a complete front clip for $1750 matching color. I've got about $2500 in it an figured it would make a great project car, so switching to t-tops seemed the next step. The main concern was the inner structure and that appears to be the same, just cut out the side bar, match the ends to the original t-top design and you've got it. As I said, I have a t-top shell car to go from. I've got tops located for about $150then all I need is the headlner.

I have found a step by step procedure on the internet, I can list it if anyone is interested.

As I said, I also build race cars and chassis from the ground up so this is not a big project.

Thanks again for all of the input on this.

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

If that is the case then I would say go for it. There's nothing like a summer day driving with the t-tops off.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Nosws6 View Post
    If that is the case then I would say go for it. There's nothing like a summer day driving with the t-tops off.
    Yeah, after that last post I'd say go for it too. I didn't know you normally did that kind of thing and had that little money in it and found stuff for cheap, and have other cars to use and stuff.

Artic White
    96 Formula Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by bh5432 View Post

Secondly, I have done some research and apparently all of the inner structure is the same for both hardtop and t-top, the only difference is the reinforcing bar above the window. Also, as far as structural integrity goes, by removing this bar, it would be all the same as GM originally produced the t-top, at least this is what I am being told.
    As far as messing it up, I also build race cars and chassis so this really doesn't worry me. The main concern was that if the structure was the same for both types of roofs without cutting off the entire A and B pillars for replacement.

Thanks to everyone for your input, it was well taken.
    That is correct. (BOLD)
    It will NOT effect the structure of the car.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

+1. They were built for the T-top option from the factory. It won't affect the structure.

Thread Information